Time to clean up.

Old July 11th 11, 06:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
N. Miller

Default Time to clean up.

I decided that this newsgroup needed some serious cleanup.

| [microsoft.public.windows.vista.general]
| !delete From "Kevin John Panzke"
| !delete From "Keven Smallbone"

There. Now it is fixed!

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old July 11th 11, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

N. Miller wrote:

I decided that this newsgroup needed some serious cleanup.

| [microsoft.public.windows.vista.general]
| !delete From "Kevin John Panzke"
| !delete From "Keven Smallbone"

There. Now it is fixed!

You don't already have a filter for Google Groupers?
Old July 13th 11, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
EW[_7_]

On 7/11/2011 12:36 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
N. Miller wrote:

I decided that this newsgroup needed some serious cleanup.

| [microsoft.public.windows.vista.general]
| !delete From "Kevin John Panzke"
| !delete From "Keven Smallbone"

There. Now it is fixed!

You don't already have a filter for Google Groupers?

Rookie question: isn't there some sort of group "moderator," or
whatever, who can filter out losers like the Kevin, Keven-types?
Old July 13th 11, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

N. Miller wrote:

I decided that this newsgroup needed some serious cleanup.

| [microsoft.public.windows.vista.general]
| !delete From "Kevin John Panzke"
| !delete From "Keven Smallbone"

There. Now it is fixed!

You don't already have a filter for Google Groupers?

Rookie question: isn't there some sort of group "moderator," or
whatever, who can filter out losers like the Kevin, Keven-types?

No.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old July 14th 11, 06:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

N. Miller wrote:

I decided that this newsgroup needed some serious cleanup.

| [microsoft.public.windows.vista.general]
| !delete From "Kevin John Panzke"
| !delete From "Keven Smallbone"

There. Now it is fixed!

You don't already have a filter for Google Groupers?

Rookie question: isn't there some sort of group "moderator," or
whatever, who can filter out losers like the Kevin, Keven-types?

This group (and the vast majority of them) are non-moderated groups.
Moderation takes a dedicated user (or several of them over time) to
waste their lives dealing with the spam and crap posts that show up.
The problem with moderation is that you end up with a bias in the
allowed posts depending on who is doing the censoring. Also, moderation
incurs a lag in the post showing up because, after all, someone has to
look at it before it is accepted. That deters the immediacy in
discussions in Usenet and would result in a lag time equal to using
e-mail (as is done in subscription lists where members use e-mail to
post and respond).

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#...ted_newsgroups

Everyone that says they want moderation is never the one with the will,
time, and expertise to do it. Rather than have the bias of one or few
moderators determine what posts are allowed in a group instead let the
users of those groups decide how they want to moderate them through the
use of their own user-defined filters.

Yes, I have lots of filters but they weren't all defined at once. The
accrue over time when another undesirable poster is encountered. Often
it takes just a few rules to eliminate a lot of noise in a group, and
then you can tweak your rules set a little at a time thereafter.
Obviously a newbie that bounces in and out of newsgroups to post just 1
or 2 messages won't need filters because they have no experience with
the group and its community, including the trolls therein. Only
regulars that inhabit a group over time will build on their filters as
to how they want to see the group and not as some moderator wants to
show it to others.
Old July 14th 11, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
EW[_7_]

On 7/14/2011 1:21 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
EW wrote:

On 7/11/2011 12:36 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
N. Miller wrote:

like the Kevin, Keven-types?

This group (and the vast majority of them) are non-moderated groups.
Moderation takes a dedicated user (or several of them over time) to
waste their lives dealing with the spam and crap posts that show up.
ETC............

I hear/understand you.... and thanks for the info.

In due time, sooner better than later, buffoons like the kevin types
will tire of their own idiocy. Hopefully.
Old July 15th 11, 02:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

EW wrote:

On 7/11/2011 12:36 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
N. Miller wrote:

like the Kevin, Keven-types?

This group (and the vast majority of them) are non-moderated groups.
Moderation takes a dedicated user (or several of them over time) to
waste their lives dealing with the spam and crap posts that show up.
ETC............

I hear/understand you.... and thanks for the info.

In due time, sooner better than later, buffoons like the kevin types
will tire of their own idiocy. Hopefully.

Or maybe the worldwide mesh network of NNTP servers will stop peering
with Google Groups (GG) to eliminate the massive source of spam and
trolls to Usenet. They will let GG retrieve posts from them but they
won't get posts where the injection point is GG. That is, GG will be
forced back to the Usenet archive it once used to be when Google first
acquired Deja News. Then maybe refuse to peer with NNTP servers that
don't require their users to create accounts to post through them from
there. Then maybe actually compose and honor their policies regarding
spam and other misuse of their services. Sure, could happen, eeeyah.