sfc problem

Old September 6th 11, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom Hall[_2_]

Default sfc problem

Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I have run sfc /scannow a number of times, and it always reports that there
were corrupted files, but that it was unable to fix everything and points
me to CBS.log for details. The problem with CBS.log is that it is HUGE, and
I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I finally figured out how to delete CBS.log just prior to running sfc, and
have a CBS.log that contains only the information from a single sfc scan.
Sfc has never prompted me to insert my install DVD so I'm at a loss as to
what I should be looking for. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

--
remove .invalid to reply by email
Old September 6th 11, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
meerkat[_6_]

"Tom Hall" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I have run sfc /scannow a number of times, and it always reports that
there
were corrupted files, but that it was unable to fix everything and points
me to CBS.log for details. The problem with CBS.log is that it is HUGE,
and
I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I finally figured out how to delete CBS.log just prior to running sfc, and
have a CBS.log that contains only the information from a single sfc scan.
Sfc has never prompted me to insert my install DVD so I'm at a loss as to
what I should be looking for. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228
This URL should point you in the direction Tom.

Old September 6th 11, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom Hall[_2_]

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 19:48:24 +0100, "meerkat"
wrote:

"Tom Hall" wrote in message
.. .
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I have run sfc /scannow a number of times, and it always reports that
there
were corrupted files, but that it was unable to fix everything and points
me to CBS.log for details. The problem with CBS.log is that it is HUGE,
and
I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I finally figured out how to delete CBS.log just prior to running sfc, and
have a CBS.log that contains only the information from a single sfc scan.
Sfc has never prompted me to insert my install DVD so I'm at a loss as to
what I should be looking for. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228
This URL should point you in the direction Tom.

Thanks. This at least has given me some information, but I'm not sure what
to do about it. There are a number of entries that say sfc could not repair
a file because the copy in the store is also corrupted, and there are
others that say the reason sfc cannot repair the file is because of a hash
mismatch. These entries are quite long and contain information that means
nothing to me.

Some time ago I ran sfc /scannow from the installation DVD in repair mode
with system prompt, but got the same sort of message from sfc - i.e., it
couldn't repair some files and pointed me to CBS.log. Does this mean that
my only recourse is to do a complete reinstall of the OS?

I should point out that I'm not having any problems with the computer, and
if it weren't for sfc, I wouldn't think anything is wrong.

Thanks for your help. I hope you can continue to steer me in a useful
direction.

Tom

--
remove .invalid to reply by email
Old September 7th 11, 04:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

"Tom Hall" wrote in message

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 19:48:24 +0100, "meerkat"
wrote:

"Tom Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If there was nothing wrong before the sfc scan, why then did you
do
the scan?
My suggestion: Forget it!

Harry.

Tom

--
remove .invalid to reply by email

Old May 18th 12, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jason[_21_]

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:57:31 -0600 "Tom Hall" aria1946
@gmail.com.invalid wrote in article lq2b67d2k74r2c1n1gv1slbjjsmns9lckb@
4ax.com

Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I have run sfc /scannow a number of times, and it always reports that there
were corrupted files, but that it was unable to fix everything and points
me to CBS.log for details. The problem with CBS.log is that it is HUGE, and
I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

I finally figured out how to delete CBS.log just prior to running sfc, and
have a CBS.log that contains only the information from a single sfc scan.
Sfc has never prompted me to insert my install DVD so I'm at a loss as to
what I should be looking for. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

On Vista and Win7, you don't need the installation media because all the
versions are already installed...and that collection grows with each
update.

I had some issues recently and used SFC to check... It found a number of
corrupted files that it couldn't repair.

My question is: why cannot SFC be smart enough to grab copies of the
files from the Mother Ship? Or, is there a tool that will do that?
Old May 27th 12, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTERS AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU! JUST FYI! THREAD REMAINS CLOSED! THE NEXT REPLY 2 THIS THREAD WILL TRIGGER A MALE VAGINA INSULT! THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING! JUST FYI! THREAD REMAINS CLOSED!