How can I speed up my computer

Old October 20th 11, 02:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
me

Default How can I speed up my computer

many web pages are taking 5 to 10 seconds, some even longer, to load.
Programs don't open quickly, either. I have a DSL connection. The OS is
Windows Vista, 6.0.6002 SP 2. per the System info available under
Accessories - System Tools - System Information

The only program open when I wrote this was Notepad. I opened Firefox,
version 7.0.1,, copied and pasted this in here. ESET NOD 32 is in the
background but is not "open" per se, i.e., no scan is running. I don't have
Word, Mail, and other programs open at the same time. 2 or 3 Firefox tabs
at a max.

Opera & IE are slow, too.

I believe this is called a "memory leak", but I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks

Old October 20th 11, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Gene E. Bloch

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:31:44 -0700, Me wrote:

many web pages are taking 5 to 10 seconds, some even longer, to load.
Programs don't open quickly, either. I have a DSL connection. The OS is
Windows Vista, 6.0.6002 SP 2. per the System info available under
Accessories - System Tools - System Information

The only program open when I wrote this was Notepad. I opened Firefox,
version 7.0.1,, copied and pasted this in here. ESET NOD 32 is in the
background but is not "open" per se, i.e., no scan is running. I don't have
Word, Mail, and other programs open at the same time. 2 or 3 Firefox tabs
at a max.

Opera & IE are slow, too.

I believe this is called a "memory leak", but I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks

I have no idea why you think it's a memory leak - it doesn't especially
sound like one, and it's not so easy to identify one.

But since you mention your connection is DSL, I might wonder if that
isn't the problem.

I don't think it's fair to say that ESET isn't open, since it is running
in the background. It might even be scanning everything that your
browsers are downloading, as well as every executable file that is

Were things much faster before? I.e., has there been a change in speed?
Was it sudden? Did it happen right after you installed a new program?
And so on...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old October 20th 11, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
David H. Lipman

From: "Me" meatacmewidgetsdotcom

many web pages are taking 5 to 10 seconds, some even longer, to load. Programs don't
open quickly, either. I have a DSL connection. The OS is Windows Vista, 6.0.6002 SP 2.
per the System info available under Accessories - System Tools - System Information

The only program open when I wrote this was Notepad. I opened Firefox, version 7.0.1,,
copied and pasted this in here. ESET NOD 32 is in the background but is not "open" per
se, i.e., no scan is running. I don't have Word, Mail, and other programs open at the
same time. 2 or 3 Firefox tabs at a max.

Opera & IE are slow, too.

I believe this is called a "memory leak", but I have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks

How much RAM ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old October 20th 11, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
me

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
[...]

From http://speedtest.net/
ping 107
download 1.31 mbps
upload .73

from cnet.com
line speed 1289 kbps

ESET is running AntiVirus & AntiSpyWare

It's been a gradual delinme in speed
The programs I've installed are Opera - it's not running. I downloaded it to
compare it to Firefox
I added System Mechanic and run it daily

From task manager here are some of the processes and services running. The
processes listed asre the ones that are over 1k. It shows 59 processes &
Services each. The services I listed are just the first 15 in the list

Processes:
dwm.exe 53k
explorer.exe 36k
WDDMStatus 17k WD Drive Manager Status
cwtray.exe 17k
wincal.exe 8k
egui.exe 5k ESET GUI
taskeng.exe 3k
taskmgr.exe 2k
rundll32.exe 1k
csrss.exe 1k
winlogon 1k
---------

Services
AELookUP
AudioEndPoint
Audiosrv
BFE
BITS
Bonjour Service
Browser
CryptSvc
DcomLaunch
DHCP
Dnscache
DPS
EKM
EMDMgmt

Thanks

Old October 20th 11, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
me

From: "Me" meatacmewidgetsdotcom

many web pages are taking 5 to 10 seconds, some even longer, to load.
Programs don't open quickly, either. I have a DSL connection. The OS is
Windows Vista, 6.0.6002 SP 2. per the System info available under
Accessories - System Tools - System Information

The only program open when I wrote this was Notepad. I opened Firefox,
version 7.0.1,, copied and pasted this in here. ESET NOD 32 is in the
background but is not "open" per se, i.e., no scan is running. I don't
have Word, Mail, and other programs open at the same time. 2 or 3
Firefox tabs at a max.

Opera & IE are slow, too.

I believe this is called a "memory leak", but I have no idea how to fix
it.

Thanks

How much RAM ?

I don't know. I know that's random access memory but I don't know where do
I find it.
thanks

Old October 20th 11, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
EW[_7_]

From: "Me"meatacmewidgetsdotcom

many web pages are taking 5 to 10 seconds, some even longer, to load. Programs don't
open quickly, either. I have a DSL connection. The OS is Windows Vista, 6.0.6002 SP 2.
per the System info available under Accessories - System Tools - System Information

You're not being clear, and maybe you're not even sure yourself, whether
your problem is Internet bandwidth speed or your system speed. Sounds
like it's your system, not your DSL connection -- which have little or
nothing to do with each other!

When you experience system slowdowns, is your hard drive light showing
constant activity? Have you checked that? If it is, then that will
definitely slow everything down and you need to find what's causing this
constant drive activity. Vista has a bad history of constantly
accessing the hard drive for whatever the Hell it does. Also, have you
looked at your Startup items -- those programs that load as you boot the
system up? Too many of these will use up much of your RAM and system
resources.
Old October 20th 11, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake, MVP[_2_]

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:27:14 -0700, "Me" meatacmewidgetsdotcom
wrote:

How much RAM ?

I don't know. I know that's random access memory but I don't know where do
I find it.

There are many ways to find out. Here's an easy one: hold down the
Windows key and press Pause|Break.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old October 21st 11, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:25:19 -0700, Me wrote:

[...]

From http://speedtest.net/
ping 107
download 1.31 mbps
upload .73

from cnet.com
line speed 1289 kbps

That is very slow.

I have 34 & 6, both on SpeakEasy and speedtest. CNet says 24000.

ESET is running AntiVirus & AntiSpyWare

It's been a gradual delinme in speed
The programs I've installed are Opera - it's not running. I downloaded it to
compare it to Firefox
I added System Mechanic and run it daily

From task manager here are some of the processes and services running. The
[...]

I'm not qualified to help you there. Nothing looks odd to me, but still,
I wonder when you "added System Mechanic". Does it run in the backgrund?

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old January 5th 12, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
The_KiKi

I hate to ask, but would you mind listing all your running processes?
make sure you check the option to show for all users as well Also,
it would be very helpful to know processor speed, the amount of ram and
what your DSL speed is SUPPOSED to be some people limit their
connection speed for a good price... as for finding out ram and such, I
know on XP all you have to do is right click on the my computer icon on
the desktop and click properties, in vista I can't remember if that
works, but it's worth a try

Old January 7th 12, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch[_5_]

On 1/05/2012, The_KiKi posted:
I hate to ask, but would you mind listing all your running processes?
make sure you check the option to show for all users as well Also,
it would be very helpful to know processor speed, the amount of ram and
what your DSL speed is SUPPOSED to be some people limit their
connection speed for a good price... as for finding out ram and such, I
know on XP all you have to do is right click on the my computer icon on
the desktop and click properties, in vista I can't remember if that
works, but it's worth a try

Why are you interested in my running processes?

Makes no sense.

And yes, I *would* mind listing them.

Also, I don't have DSL, and I don't have Vista.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)