Still Can't Delete a file

Old October 20th 09, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Justin[_5_]

Default Still Can't Delete a file

Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
I right click and hit delete on a file and I get
Item not found
This is no longer located in C:\Users\Justin\Downloads verify the items
location and try again.
The file is a MS Word docx, downloaded from my college's Blackboard system.
I booted into safe mode (under the admin account) and ended up with the
same message.
I was told this could possible be an issue with Temporary Internet files
and IE - I use Firefox. Nonetheless, I cleared out the TIF on both
browsers and the file is still there.
Old October 20th 09, 09:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Tae Song

"Justin" wrote in message
Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
I right click and hit delete on a file and I get
Item not found
This is no longer located in C:\Users\Justin\Downloads verify the items
location and try again.
The file is a MS Word docx, downloaded from my college's Blackboard
system.
I booted into safe mode (under the admin account) and ended up with the
same message.
I was told this could possible be an issue with Temporary Internet files
and IE - I use Firefox. Nonetheless, I cleared out the TIF on both
browsers and the file is still there.

You might try starting elevated Command Prompt (start as administrator) and
try deleting it. Elevated Command Prompt will sometimes allow you to delete
files you can't through the GUI, because the GUI treats files differently
depending on various settings and context.

You might also try running/scheduling a CHKDSK /F to check for file record
consistency.

Old October 20th 09, 09:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave-UK[_3_]

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
I right click and hit delete on a file and I get
Item not found
This is no longer located in C:\Users\Justin\Downloads verify the items
location and try again.
The file is a MS Word docx, downloaded from my college's Blackboard system.
I booted into safe mode (under the admin account) and ended up with the
same message.
I was told this could possible be an issue with Temporary Internet files
and IE - I use Firefox. Nonetheless, I cleared out the TIF on both
browsers and the file is still there.

Can you move the file to your desktop and delete?
Can you right-click and Sento the recycle bin?
If you rename it can you delete it?
If you right-click Properties Security do you have full control?
If not, can you edit permissions to give you full control?
If none of the above help then you could try taking ownership:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

Old October 20th 09, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Justin[_5_]

Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
Windows Vista Ultimate 64.
I right click and hit delete on a file and I get
Item not found
This is no longer located in C:\Users\Justin\Downloads verify the
items location and try again.
The file is a MS Word docx, downloaded from my college's Blackboard
system.
I booted into safe mode (under the admin account) and ended up with
the same message.
I was told this could possible be an issue with Temporary Internet
files and IE - I use Firefox. Nonetheless, I cleared out the TIF on
both browsers and the file is still there.

Can you move the file to your desktop and delete?

No.

Can you right-click and Sento the recycle bin?

No.

If you rename it can you delete it?

No.

If you right-click Properties Security do you have full control?

Yes.

If not, can you edit permissions to give you full control?

n/a
If none of the above help then you could try taking ownership:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

I already have ownership.
Old October 20th 09, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave-UK[_3_]

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Dave-UK wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
[...]

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.

Old October 20th 09, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Justin[_5_]

Dave-UK wrote:

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.

I downloaded it from the internet - my college's Blackboard system.
It has my account listed as the Current owner.
Old October 20th 09, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave-UK[_3_]

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Dave-UK wrote:

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.

I downloaded it from the internet - my college's Blackboard system.
It has my account listed as the Current owner.

Then I am out of ideas regarding permissions.
If it were my machine the next step would be to boot from a BartPE or linux
disk and delete from there.
(If you can't get such a disk I can give you a link to mine.)

Old October 20th 09, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
rak

It may not help the root cause of your problem, which is beyond me, but I
have found that I can get rid of files like this by using freeware such as
Eraser that writes over the file. You might want to try something similar.

Old October 22nd 09, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave-UK[_3_]

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Dave-UK wrote:

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.

I downloaded it from the internet - my college's Blackboard system.
It has my account listed as the Current owner.

Have you managed to delete it yet ?

Old October 25th 09, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave-UK[_3_]

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Dave-UK wrote:

How did you get ownership ?
You said you downloaded it from another computer onto your machine.
Right-click the file Properties Security Advanced Owner tab.
What does it say in the 'Current owner box'?
If it isn't you, you haven't taken ownership.

I downloaded it from the internet - my college's Blackboard system.
It has my account listed as the Current owner.

How's the file deletion saga going ? Still having problems?