Massive Shadow Copy File

Old November 17th 09, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
EyesDAonly

Default Massive Shadow Copy File

Hello.
I have a big problem with the windows Shadow Copy.

\System Volume
Information\{a20e83b4-d2e1-11de-970d-001e8c98772a}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}

The file is 34 GB.
With my HD size I simply can't afford it!

My Vista Home Premium is working perfect, I don't even need system
restore points right now, and I take full responsibility saying that in
case anything crashes, I wouldn't even mind starting over fresh and
having that 34GB back would be a better solution that to live with it
right now.

I tried Disk Cleanup, which said it could remove all but the newest
shadow copies, and it didn't remove that file. Which means its a new
file? I don't know.

I'm quite sure it was caused by the defragmentation program that I used
"Diskeeper" that maybe somehow made that file a whole lot bigger, I
stopped using it and the file doesn't grow anymore. I believe it grew
from 20GB to 34GB just after letting Diskeeper run on Auto
Defragmentation, and I couldn't risk it making it any bigger.

Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks.

--
EyesDAonly
EyesDAonly's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/155662.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 18th 09, 12:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, EyesDAonly.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate; Vista Home Premium may be different, but they
should be close enough for you to get some benefit from this...

On System Properties, click System Protection. On the System Protection
tab, check the settings under Available Drives. For each drive, click
Configure and turn System Protection on or off for that drive. Under Disk
Space Usage, you can move the slider, which will tell you - in both bytes
and percent of that volume - how much space you will let System Restore use
for that drive. You can choose whether to save system settings, or shadow
copies, or both or neither.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old November 18th 09, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

Moving a lot of files around on your computer will increase the size of your
system volume information folder.

What many people don't know that by defragging, either manually or
continuously as DisKeeper now does, any incremental images created by a
program like Acronis True Image will be as large, or larger, than the
initial image. An incremental image should only show the changed disk
status. But, when you change 74% of the file locations on a disk by
defragging the image becomes huge.

This is why I always turn off system restore and shadow copy when I load a
new operating system. I rely upon True Image to get me out of hot water.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old November 18th 09, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
EyesDAonly[_2_]

Thanks R.C.White! That did the trick :-) 34gb cleared in 2 seconds hehe
All I had to do is tell it not to make Shadow Copy for the HD, then it
deleted everything. And now I can even let it do it again if I want, and
it will make the default small copy. Good to know its possible to clear
out the shadow every once in a while if needed. Much appreciated! :-)
And thanks Richard, good to know!

Old November 18th 09, 03:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
whs[_8_]

"EyesDAonly" EyesDAonly.41t5bb@newsgroup wrote in message

[...]

EyesDAonly's Profile: 'EyesDAonly's profile on TechArena Computer

Hardware Support Forums of India'
(http://forums.techarena.in/members/155662.htm)
View this thread:
'Massive Shadow Copy File - Vista File Management'

(http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...nt/1272162.htm)

'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support

Forums of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

This will tell you how to resize the shadowstorage. Note: The minimum
size is 300MB.
'How to reduce disk space used by Windows Vista system restore'
(http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/04...ystem-restore/)

--
whs