Check the Indexing Box?

Old May 7th 10, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Default Check the Indexing Box?

Very brief background, questions below:
My Acer computer has some Acer apps located in a "C:\Acer" folder which
really should be in the "C:\Programs" folder. Before I reformatted and
restored my (Vista) hard drive the "Indexing" box was checked. (Computer
Right click C drive properties General Tab near bottom.) I like the
Indexing feature in Vista.

After the reformat and restore of my computer, Indexing seemed to work good.
Later I noticed the "Indexing" box was unchecked. I then checked it. A
little scan window came up to display progress of the Indexing scan. I saw
it immediately started scanning though the Acer folder. There is nothing in
that folder that should be scanned. The Acer folder only has application
files and other Acer junk I am completely uninterested in. I then assumed
it would scan and index Program folders, Windows folders and System folders.
So I unchecked it. Indexing application files and system files, I would
think, would not be the least bit useful and perhaps dilute searches.

Nevertheless, if checking the Indexing box improves Indexing then I would
like to check it.

Questions:
Does Indexing pass over system and application files? (hopefully yes)

I like the Indexing feature in Vista. Are there any drawbacks to checking
the Indexing box?

Background info: Desktop AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD Acer
(AM3100-U3201A) purchased new February 2008 -- 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium
SP2 -- MS auto updates on. Comcast ISP 12mbps service W\ Motorola SURFboard
SB5101 Cable Modem. D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop PCI Adapter with D-Link
DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router.

Once again, thank you for your help! All you people who have answered all
my questions over these months are just the BEST people on the earth!! It
helps me so much. Thank you.

Bob