Can't find my Card Reader or driver

Old November 24th 09, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

Default Can't find my Card Reader or driver

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:41:18 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
wrote:

| On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:20:39 -0800, "Curious" wrote:

Has the card been formatted? If so with what formt?

| The card has been formatted in my Olympus camera. I have no idea what
| format it is - however, it has always worked before.

Olympus formats using FAT.

However the format is irrelevant.

I suggest getting a SanDisk USB memory card reader. Either one specific to the memory
card (SmartMedia ?) or get a card reader that reads multiple kinds like a 12-in-1 USB
memory card reader.

I have an external card reader that works fine.
Old November 24th 09, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

wrote:

| On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:20:39 -0800, "Curious" wrote:

Has the card been formatted? If so with what formt?

| The card has been formatted in my Olympus camera. I have no idea what
| format it is - however, it has always worked before.

Olympus formats using FAT.

However the format is irrelevant.

I suggest getting a SanDisk USB memory card reader. Either one specific to the memory
card (SmartMedia ?) or get a card reader that reads multiple kinds like a 12-in-1 USB
memory card reader.

I have an external card reader that works fine. It's just inconvenient
to carry around.
Old November 25th 09, 01:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

| On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:41:18 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
| wrote:

| On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:20:39 -0800, "Curious" wrote:

Has the card been formatted? If so with what formt?

| The card has been formatted in my Olympus camera. I have no idea what
| format it is - however, it has always worked before.

Olympus formats using FAT.

However the format is irrelevant.

I suggest getting a SanDisk USB memory card reader. Either one specific to the memory
card (SmartMedia ?) or get a card reader that reads multiple kinds like a 12-in-1 USB
memory card reader.

| I have an external card reader that works fine. It's just inconvenient
| to carry around.

I understand. I believe the card reader is problematic.

Is the system under warranty ?

--
Dave

Old November 25th 09, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
smlunatick

On Nov 23, 10:53*pm, wrote:
I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. *However, I can only see it
in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. *I am having trouble as,
when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
check the driver because I can't find it. *I changed it recently to the
most updated, digitally signed driver. *Can someone help?

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

On Windows 7, the default Windows Explorer option for removable
drives, other than CD / DVD or floppy drives, is to not "display"
empty drives.
Old November 25th 09, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 06:57:07 -0800 (PST), smlunatick
wrote:

On Nov 23, 10:53*pm, wrote:
I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. *However, I can only see it
in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. *I am having trouble as,
when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
check the driver because I can't find it. *I changed it recently to the
most updated, digitally signed driver. *Can someone help?

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

On Windows 7, the default Windows Explorer option for removable
drives, other than CD / DVD or floppy drives, is to not "display"
empty drives.

Vista Home Edition...and if there isn't a card in the slot, no drive
shows. However, now, even with a card in the slot, no drive (card
reader) shows.
Old November 26th 09, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Michael

wrote:

On Nov 23, 10:53 pm, wrote:
I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

On Windows 7, the default Windows Explorer option for removable
drives, other than CD / DVD or floppy drives, is to not "display"
empty drives.

Vista Home Edition...and if there isn't a card in the slot, no drive
shows. However, now, even with a card in the slot, no drive (card
reader) shows.

I may be beating a dead horse, but it really sounds like the onboard card
reader has met an unfitting end.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Old November 26th 09, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,m.p.w.vista.performance_maintenance
James Kosin[_3_]

Hi,

First, look in device manager...
It may be listed under 'Memory Technology Driver'
Mine is listed as a 'JMB38X...'
If not there, look for something that says it is a 'SD/MMC Host
Controller' or maybe a 'xD Host Controller'

Next, in my setup, the Disk Manager doesn't list any drives with no memory
card inserted.
Get a new one, and without formatting it in your camera try it on your
computer.
Mine lists it in Disk Manager after I insert a card. It will show as a
removable drive.
My computer is about a year old and it lists the device as an iSCSI
device.
Some older laptops use an internal USB to connect.

Next, if it still doesn't work, go back to device manager and select to
'Show Hidden Devices'.
Be careful here, since you may have lots of hidden devices, but, search
again for your SD card controller again.
Find the name and search on Google to find the manufacturer. You PC
manufacture may also have drivers.
Don't trust windows to update the drivers correctly all the time.
Since you said you had VISTA Home Edition, the restore to a save-point is
out of the question.
However, left click on the device (there may be more than 1 device!!!) on
my setup my laptop has 4 devices associated with the SD/MMC card slot. And
select 'Properties'...
From the properties select the 'Driver' tab. There should be a button for
'Roll Back Driver'. Use that button to restore to the previous driver.

Next, if that still doesn't work...
Uninstall the drivers!
You have to use the show hidden devices trick to do this also; especailly
since you say you don't see your card reader registering in Device Manager.
Download the drivers from the PC manufacturer. If you can't find those,
as a last resort search the internet for the manufacturer of the chipset for
the card reader. On my setup a simple search for JMB38x did the trick...
but it doesn't always work.

Let me know if these don't work.

James K.

Old November 26th 09, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,m.p.w.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:39:10 -0500, "James Kosin"
wrote:

[...]

From the properties select the 'Driver' tab. There should be a button for
'Roll Back Driver'. Use that button to restore to the previous driver.

Next, if that still doesn't work...
Uninstall the drivers!
You have to use the show hidden devices trick to do this also; especailly
since you say you don't see your card reader registering in Device Manager.
Download the drivers from the PC manufacturer. If you can't find those,
as a last resort search the internet for the manufacturer of the chipset for
the card reader. On my setup a simple search for JMB38x did the trick...
but it doesn't always work.

Let me know if these don't work.

James K.

Thanks for the detailed instructions - I will attempt to follow them
tomorrow. Will let you know the results.

.. .

Old November 26th 09, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:02:07 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Nov 23, 10:53 pm, wrote:
I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?

Are you using Vista or Windows 7?

On Windows 7, the default Windows Explorer option for removable
drives, other than CD / DVD or floppy drives, is to not "display"
empty drives.

Vista Home Edition...and if there isn't a card in the slot, no drive
shows. However, now, even with a card in the slot, no drive (card
reader) shows.

I may be beating a dead horse, but it really sounds like the onboard card
reader has met an unfitting end.

I think you're right - but I still have hope and intend to follow the
instructions in the next post.
Old November 26th 09, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Michael

wrote:
Vista Home Edition...and if there isn't a card in the slot, no drive
shows. However, now, even with a card in the slot, no drive (card
reader) shows.

I may be beating a dead horse, but it really sounds like the onboard card
reader has met an unfitting end.

I think you're right - but I still have hope and intend to follow the
instructions in the next post.

Good luck. External card readers are cheap, although not as convenient as
an internal.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.