Can't find my Card Reader or driver

Old November 23rd 09, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,m.p.w.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

Default Can't find my Card Reader or driver

I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?
Old November 23rd 09, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

| I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
| in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
| when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
| check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
| most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?

Does the OS assign a drive letter to the device ?

--
Dave

Old November 23rd 09, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,m.p.w.vista.performance_maintenance
R. C. White

Hi, rmo555.

What does Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) say about that card reader?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old November 24th 09, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:11 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
wrote:

| I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
| in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
| when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
| check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
| most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?

Does the OS assign a drive letter to the device ?

No.......
Old November 24th 09, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,m.p.w.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:17:50 -0600, "R. C. White"
wrote:

Hi, rmo555.

What does Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) say about that card reader?

RC

It's not there.
Old November 24th 09, 01:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[email protected]

wrote:

| I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
| in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
| when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
| check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
| most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?

Does the OS assign a drive letter to the device ?

I should have replied that I'm not sure (when the card reader is
recognized). However, right now, it is not recognized and therefore
does not have a drive letter. It has always worked this way. If I
look at the screen that shows the drives, the card reader will show up
as soon as I place a card in the reader. Without the card, the reader
is invisible. Same with the Device Manager.

Old November 24th 09, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

| On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:02:11 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
| wrote:

| I have a built-in card reader in my laptop. However, I can only see it
| in Device Manager if I have a card inserted. I am having trouble as,
| when I insert a card, the card reader isn't showing up - so I can't
| check the driver because I can't find it. I changed it recently to the
| most updated, digitally signed driver. Can someone help?

Does the OS assign a drive letter to the device ?

| I should have replied that I'm not sure (when the card reader is
| recognized). However, right now, it is not recognized and therefore
| does not have a drive letter. It has always worked this way. If I
| look at the screen that shows the drives, the card reader will show up
| as soon as I place a card in the reader. Without the card, the reader
| is invisible. Same with the Device Manager.

A drive letter should be reserved for any/all memory card readers. It is only after you
install a memory card in the memory card reader can you access data from said drive
letter.

All USB "Mass Storage Devices" such as memory card readers, are Plug 'n Play by the OS
with internal drivers and not requiring third paty drivers to recognize trhe hardware.

Right-Click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage"

Go to "Disk Management"

Look for "Removable" devices and check what drive letters are assigned. See if you can
change drive assigments.

--
Dave

Old November 24th 09, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

| On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:17:50 -0600, "R. C. White"
| wrote:

Hi, rmo555.

What does Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) say about that card reader?

RC

| It's not there.

If it is NOT there there are few possiblities...

The memory card reader is not connected to the port (USB ?).

The memory card is bad.

The interface is bad.

--
Dave

Old November 24th 09, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,m.p.w.vista.performance_maintenance
R. C. White

Hi, rmo555.

Are you sure? Look at the top of Disk Management, in the Volume Listing.
You won't see it there unless it holds a card that has been partitioned and
formatted.

But then look at the bottom half of the screen, in the Graphical View. Even
if there are no volumes, there should be an entry in the far left column for
"Disk 4" or whatever. It probably will be below your HDDs but above your
DVD-ROM drives. Do you see anything there?

My only card reader is on an external USB port; it has no card in it at this
moment; its entry says:
Disk 4
Removable (S
No Media

Note that I've assigned the letter S: (for SanDisk or Smart Digital) to that
card reader so that it always gets the same letter each time I re-insert it
to transfer a fresh batch of photos from my camera. If I didn't assign the
letter of my choice, the system would simply assign "the next available
letter" each time.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA