Installed Usable Memory

Old January 3rd 10, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Calcagno

Default Installed Usable Memory

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2), with 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, CA
Security Suite, MBAB, SuperAntiSpyware Professional, Cleaner and Spybot
search and destroy on an Acer Aspire T180 desktop. All WU's are current and
the machine is working just great.
About 6 months ago I noticed a reduction in the amount of usable installed
memory. I have 2048 MB of installed RAM in 3 slots (512 MB, 512 MB and 1024
MB-with one slot empty), but only 1792 MB of usable memory. The usable
installed/unusable installed difference is 256 MB. The difference may mean
that some of it has gone bad or whatever.
Is there anyway to ascertain why I'm not able to take advantage of the full
2024 MB of RAM? Is it possible one of the memory sticks is not plugged in
correctly or there's a dirty contact somewhere?
I realize that this may be a `don't fix it if it ain't broken' situation
since the computer runs just fine but if there's something I can actually do
to get back the missing 256 MB of RAM that'd be nice.
I'm posting this here and also at:
Microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance since I'm not sure of
the
correct post location.
Thanks...PaulC.