Vista Banter

-   -   Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64—ATI Radeon X1900 (http://www.vistabanter.com/183640-cant-extend-screen-display-onto-second-monitor-vista-64-ati-radeon-x1900.html)

[email protected] June 9th 10 03:04 PM

Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64—ATI Radeon X1900

I am using an ATI Radeon X1900 with Vista 64 bit. I am using ATI
Catalyst version 8.593.100.3. The problem is that when I try to extend
the display onto either a connected TV or a second monitor from within
the Catalyst Control Center nothing happens. I have tried a variety of
different resolutions including resolutions that are within the
capability of the second monitor but whenever I click on “Extend main
on to monitor” nothing happens. On the other hand cloning works just
fine, both on the TV in the second monitor.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it
since I a major task over the next week that definitely requires
additional monitor screen area?

Thanks for any help in advance!

[email protected] June 9th 10 04:16 PM

Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64—ATI Radeon X1900

I just discovered that I was using version 9.11 of Catalyst. I
downloaded and installed version 9.3 which ATI/AMD says is the latest
version that supports “all the features” of the X1900. No change in
behaviour, however—cloning works fine but extending does not work at
all.

pyotr filipivich June 9th 10 07:20 PM

Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64—ATI Radeon X1900

" on Wed, 9 Jun 2010
08:04:31 -0700 (PDT) typed in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
the following:
I am using an ATI Radeon X1900 with Vista 64 bit. I am using ATI
Catalyst version 8.593.100.3. The problem is that when I try to extend
the display onto either a connected TV or a second monitor from within
the Catalyst Control Center nothing happens. I have tried a variety of
different resolutions including resolutions that are within the
capability of the second monitor but whenever I click on “Extend main
on to monitor” nothing happens. On the other hand cloning works just
fine, both on the TV in the second monitor.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it
since I a major task over the next week that definitely requires
additional monitor screen area?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Have you tried doing this outside Catylist, through Windows? Click
on desktop, properties, settings and check the box "extend my desktop
onto this monitor"

--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,

[email protected] June 9th 10 07:57 PM

On Jun 9, 3:20*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response Pyotr.

Right clicking on the desktop doesn't give “properties” as one of the
options, only “personalize.” The only display settings one can change
are resolution and color depth. There is no access to any way of
setting up the second monitor even in “Advanced Settings”—at least as
far as I can see.

Gene E. Bloch June 9th 10 08:03 PM

Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64ˇXATI Radeon X1900

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:57:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jun 9, 3:20Â*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
" on Wed, 9 Jun 2010
08:04:31 -0700 (PDT) typed in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
the following:

I am using an ATI Radeon X1900 with Vista 64 bit. I am using ATI
Catalyst version 8.593.100.3. The problem is that when I try to extend
the display onto either a connected TV or a second monitor from within
the Catalyst Control Center nothing happens. I have tried a variety of
different resolutions including resolutions that are within the
capability of the second monitor but whenever I click on Extend main
on to monitor nothing happens. On the other hand cloning works just
fine, both on the TV in the second monitor.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it
since I a major task over the next week that definitely requires
additional monitor screen area?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Â* Â* Â* Â* Have you tried doing this outside Catylist, through Windows? Click
on desktop, properties, settings and check the box "extend my desktop
onto this monitor"

--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.

Thanks for the response Pyotr.

Right clicking on the desktop doesn't give “properties” as one of the
options, only “personalize.” The only display settings one can change
are resolution and color depth. There is no access to any way of
setting up the second monitor even in “Advanced Settings”—at least as
far as I can see.

Right clicking on the desktop also offers "Resolution". Look there...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

[email protected] June 9th 10 08:34 PM

Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64—ATI Radeon X1900

PS—I just switched to XP/SP 3 on the same machine and Catalyst extends
the screen on to the second monitor with no problem at all. I hope
that the X1900 is simply incapable of doing this in Vista!

[email protected] June 9th 10 08:52 PM

Can't extend screen display onto second monitor-Vista 64—ATI Radeon X1900

On Jun 9, 4:34*pm, "
wrote:
PS—I just switched to XP/SP 3 on the same machine and Catalyst extends
the screen on to the second monitor with no problem at all. I hope
that the X1900 is simply incapable of doing this in Vista!

I meant:

PS—I just switched to XP/SP 3 on the same machine and Catalyst extends
the screen on to the second monitor with no problem at all. I hope
that the X1900 isn't simply incapable of doing this in Vista!