Save hardware drivers

Old August 8th 10, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Shenan Stanley

Default Save hardware drivers

Chris K wrote:
Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was
hoping it would eventually update my video driver so i can
uninstall it afterwards - not blaming you, just explaining that
'just' downloading a driver is no longer possible - every/all
drivers are now accompanied by lot software they know you dont want
- this was rather an exception in that it didn't even include a
driver
which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you
save hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is
yes they can be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will
continue to persue

Downloaded the Catalyst software+Drivers package...
Used 7-Zip to unpack it to a directory...
Found the drivers he \$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\Display (from that
subdirectory of the directory where I extracted the full software drivers.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Old August 8th 10, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chris K

"Shenan Stanley" wrote in message
Chris K wrote:
[...]

I installed full 'blown' package (took longer than MS Office professional -
god knows what it's done) and this time it did update my driver - then I
uninstalled the software but it un-installed the driver too

Downloaded 7-Zip - extracted the driver only - installed it half way where
upon it insists on installing all the trojan software - scrapped the idea

The old driver will last until my next OS install and I'll buy new graphics
card - one that is properly supported - praying that nobody will ever buy
ATI card - ever!

Cheers anyhow

Old August 8th 10, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Michael

Chris K wrote:
[...]

Either you need a real education on drivers and computers or you're a total
a$$hole. I'm betting the latter.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Old August 9th 10, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
GSalisbury

"Chris K" wrote in message

[snip]

BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Isn't that what you're looking for?

I've looked it over - I can already save driver components (they're listed
in driver details) but I'm not sure if/how these can be re-installed - and
booznet dont seem to mention this either

= dont think it will do anything i cant do without it
but thanks any how

From your original post:
"...so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now for
future install..."
From Double Driver:
"Backup drivers from current Windows"
"Restore drivers from previous backup"
Isn't that what you originally asked for?
No DD won't seek out a new driver for you but once you have what you want it
can save it/them for later use.
I've used a similar product on XP but never looked for a Vista product until
your post.
I downloaded it and ran the dd.exe from the zip file.
I selected All and the default structured output and got 500+ "drivers" in
60+ meg.
Obviously I'd want to get that on an external backup as well.
I'm satisfied it would restore one if I chose/needed to.
Something to consider.
Geo.