Save hardware drivers

Old August 7th 10, 12:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chris K

Default Save hardware drivers

Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon 1650
SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard

I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the
former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now for
future install - the driver details document all the driver files &
locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right
folder?

It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct
install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software install which i dont
want on my machine

Old August 7th 10, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Shenan Stanley

Chris K wrote:
Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my
Radeon 1650 SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000
keyboard
I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete
(particularly the former) so I was wondering whether it's possible
to save the drivers now for future install - the driver details
document all the driver files & locations but not sure how to
re-install - just drop them in the right folder?

It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either
direct install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software
install which i dont want on my machine

If the drivers become obsolete - it's time to move on - really. Since you
can still download Windows 98 drivers from many manufacturer's web pages.

Or is that the real issue here - you are not going to the manufacturer's web
page for each hardware device to download the proper and latest drivers for
your hardware?

Did you visit he
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx
... for the ATI video card drivers?
If so - did you then click on:
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...oad %20Detail
("All Graphics - Desktop")??
Then select your video card and OS combination using the pull-down menus?

I would greatly suspect that through 2014+ - you will be able to do this.

However - if you had done this - then you would have saved the file relevant
to your OS already and known that once you saved that file - you had to run
it to install it. So - logic says that if you save the downloaded file to
some external media - you can keep it for as long as the media can be
read/used.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Old August 7th 10, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Shenan Stanley

snipped

entire conversation - archived indefinitely
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
/entire conversation - archived indefinitely

Chris K wrote:
Actually meant save a driver that's already installed

Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen
was crap) - i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for
quite long time it downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years
old
As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too
old and not supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be
nice to save it while I've got a driver *at all*

You didn't actually download/install the driver - Windows Vista found one in
the Microsoft Updates database and installed it - probably a few versions
behind the latest, so may not be as high-performing/as stable. So no - you
cannot save that - and you probably would be better off replacing it from
the actual manufacturer's web page (for the video card anyway - maybe they
keep their own hardware drivers up to date in Microsoft updates... Maybe...)

So, yeah - maybe _you_ cannot get the driver via the link I gave (yet - I am
about to teach you how), but as for it "not happening"; here is the download
links for the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as
you listed gotten to via the link I gave you earlier:

32-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

.... and for the 64-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/28md5ox
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

Why the tinyurl versions of the links? The longer URLs even included
spaces - makes them more difficult to post, sometimes other newsreaders will
cut them off, etc; but it makes some feel better, so...

32-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition

64-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition

See what I mean? Now you can save them.

The 64-bit version is dated 2/23ish/2010 and the 32-bit version is dated the
same. Although they are end-of-life products - the cances of AMD (who
aquired ATI) getting them off their web pages until Windows Vista is no
longer supported by Microsoft is slim. AMD does say they will not be
producing Windows 7 drivers for them though.

I'll walk you through it so you might learn something from all this and use
it to get other drivers in the future.

I gave you this link first: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx

Under the "Graphics - Desktop" heading, the last in that list is "All
Graphics - Desktop" and you click on that which takes you he
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...oad %20Detail

There you select "Graphics Cards - Desktop", "Radeon X1650 series" and
choose an operating system ("Windows Vista - 32-bit Edition" or "Windows
Vista - 64-bit Edition" in your case, given what you have.) and click on
"View Results". That will reload the web page with the appropriate link
(see above) and I think (hope) you can get to it from there.

You said you had the Radeon 1650 SE video card and M/Soft digital media 3000
keyboard...

Let's round that off with the other driver you could not find so far for
individual download...

Visiting he
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/

Gets me to he
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK

Where I select "Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista
(32-bit only)", "English (US)" and click on "Go". It takes me to a link
that has THIS link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7.10.344.0.exe
Which is "IntelliType Pro 7.1 32-bit for Windows Vista"...

If I change it up a bit and on the "Gets me to here" page I select
"Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista (64-bit only)",
"English (US)" and click on "Go" - that takes me to a page with this link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7.10.344.0.exe
Which is the "IntelliType Pro 7.1 64-bit for Windows Vista"...

Come back - let everyone know if that helped. As you can see from the first
part of this response - the conversation will be here long after the last
posting. It might be good if someone came across it and got the help they
needed from it - but they might trust it more if you came back at the end
and said if it worked for you or not...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Old August 7th 10, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Drew[_8_]

I found drivers for the ati 1650 for xp vista and windows 7 32 and 64bit in
about 5 seconds

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20X1650&By=ATI

"Chris K" wrote in message
Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon
1650
SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard

I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the
former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now
for
future install - the driver details document all the driver files &
locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right
folder?

It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct
install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software install which i dont
want on my machine

Old August 7th 10, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

Drew wrote:
I found drivers for the ati 1650 for xp vista and windows 7 32 and
64bit in about 5 seconds

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20X1650&By=ATI

And it is *still* wiser to get the drivers direct from the manufacturer when
you can. And in this conversation is the way to do this in excruciating
detail.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Old August 8th 10, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chris K

"Shenan Stanley" wrote in message
snipped

entire conversation - archived indefinitely
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
/entire conversation - archived indefinitely

but as for it "not happening"; here is the download links for the 32-bit
and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as you listed gotten
to via the link I gave you earlier:

32-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut down WDM
Integrated Drive) & uninstalled

it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager - uses
acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver - in fact it
makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file once installed -
presumably just runs in the background consuming processing time until it
feels like downloading some virus or uploading my bank details - i just want
the driver (no software) - but as already said - 99% of drivers now come
'wrapped up' in load software and this is no exception - well except that it
didn't even have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i download at
least come with the driver i want

Old August 8th 10, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
GSalisbury

"Chris K" wrote in message

[...]

Not meaning to step on anyone's toes but...
I put "Save Installed Drivers for Vista 64" into a google search (remember
our friend?) and the 1st hit was

BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Isn't that what you're looking for?

Old August 8th 10, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Shenan Stanley

Chris K wrote:
that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut
down WDM Integrated Drive) & uninstalled

it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager - uses
acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver -
in fact it makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file
once installed - presumably just runs in the background consuming
processing time until it feels like downloading some virus or
uploading my bank details - i just want the driver (no software) -
but as already said - 99% of drivers now come 'wrapped up' in load
software and this is no exception - well except that it didn't even
have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i download at
least come with the driver i want

So get the Catalyst driver and be selective about your installation instead
of accepting the defaults.

Package Includes:
Display Driver
Catalyst Control Center

But that is the driver for your system. If you don't like the way it gets
packaged - take it up with ATI (whom I would not recommend for much) and/or
download the driver and package and rip what you want out of it/custom
install it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Old August 8th 10, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

Chris K wrote:
[...]

Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was hoping it
would eventually update my video driver so i can uninstall it afterwards -
not blaming you, just explaining that 'just' downloading a driver is no
longer possible - every/all drivers are now accompanied by lot software they
know you dont want - this was rather an exception in that it didn't even
include a driver

which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you save
hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is yes they can
be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will continue to persue

Old August 8th 10, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chris K

"GSalisbury" wrote in message

Not meaning to step on anyone's toes but...
I put "Save Installed Drivers for Vista 64" into a google search (remember
our friend?) and the 1st hit was

BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Isn't that what you're looking for?

I've looked it over - I can already save driver components (they're listed
in driver details) but I'm not sure if/how these can be re-installed - and
booznet dont seem to mention this either

= dont think it will do anything i cant do without it
but thanks any how