Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Norton Internet Security 2010 compatibility problem?

Old September 9th 10, 05:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Guest

Default Norton Internet Security 2010 compatibility problem?

I get little enough email spam that I already get far
more false positives than actual email spam. I'm far
more concerned with newsgroups spam.

Robert Miles

"...winston" wrote in message
qp
The client integration (spam folder, buttons, etc) is supported only for
Outlook and Outlook Express. However, users can configure Windows Mail
(or other unsupported e-mail clients) to move the tagged spam to a spam
folder.
To do this, first create a folder called "Norton AntiSpam Folder"
Then create a filter rule in your e-mail client to automatically filter
e-mails containing the tag "Norton AntiSpam" in the subject header to this
"Norton AntiSpam Folder".
Periodically monitor this "Norton AntiSpam Folder" for any non-spam mails
or False Positives and then delete them.
/qp

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

wrote in message ...

I got some more information about compatibility from a Sysmantec/Norton
chat technician today. They claim that NIS 2010 is partly compatible
with
WLM - enough not to interfere with the email functions, but not yet fully
tested for compatibility for other sections, such as the newsgroups
section.
Therefore, when you say that NIS 2010 is compatible or not compatible
with WLM, you need to add whether you mean with the email section only,
or with just what other sections.

I'm finding signs that it is not fully compatible with the newsgroups
section,
but not quickly enough to decide to abandon any use of NIS 2010 yet.

Do you know if any *.nws files, especially those for text-only newsgroups,
can contain anything dangerous to Windows without any effort by the
user to extract it? If they can't, I may be able to find a way to tell
NIS
2010
not to scan any of the directories containing *.nws files.

Also, today I found a way to give Symantec/Norton suggestions about
how to improve the compatibility with WLM and WM, and gave them
a few. No idea yet if those suggestions will improve it enough, though.

Robert Miles

"Nancy Jackman" wrote in message
This has been my experience as well.

No problems with NIS 2009 and NIS 2010 in conjunction with WLM -- and I
have kept email scanning on as well.

This issue is a red herring.

Nancy

"Victek" wrote in message ...

Nothing made by Norton has been compatible with any MS e-mail client
since Symantec bought the company from Peter Norton.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

.
Is there any objective data to document this? I've been using WLM on
three
computers along with NIS 2009 and now NIS 2010 and have not had a single
problem. By default email scanning is on, but it can easily be turned
off
by anyone concerned about NIS interfering with WLM. Of course you're
entitled to your opinion, but it is simply not borne out in my
experience.

Old September 9th 10, 06:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
...winston

Lol..catching up on old posts before the group's closure.

Send feedback to Symantec..the quoted 'text' was theirs.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail