Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Another stupid question re. Contacts

Old September 12th 10, 11:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rumpelstiltskin

Default Another stupid question re. Contacts

OK, I *think* I'm convinced that you can't place Contacts back into the
left-hand column in WM. But is it possible to change the default action to
email the contact when you double-click a Contact instead of opening the
Contact for editing? I mean, which is likely to be the most often used? It's
bad enough to be forced to go through so many operations to get a contact
into the To: slot, but that last step, when I either right-click the Contact
(always slow on most older machines), or click it to highlight and then move
the mouse to click the email button.

I've heard of simplification and idiot-proofing, but this is ridiculous.
Remove a few KB of very useful code for an optional feature that can't
possibly cause any problems, all to make room for dozens of gigabytes of
eye-candy? Is Contacts really that different from WAB that it cost too much
to port it into WM? Yes, I know Vista is now years old, and I actually ran
it for quite a while back in '08. Now I'm remembering why I went back to XP.
With a design paradigm like this one, Windows 7 must be a pile of totally
useless geegaws & bangles.

OK, I got the Search problem fixed, now it's on to UAC and I don't know what
else. (And I don't mind being reminded of what else I'll want to fix,
either.) Thanks to the answer people, even though I think I'll be
disappointed this time.

R.

Old September 12th 10, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rumpelstiltskin

Sorry, I mixed up two different operations. Musta woke up too early. It's
when I go to Contacts and then choose a recipient that I find it cumbersome.
The only problem with clicking To: and then the Contact is that
double-clicking the Contact isn't the end, I then have to click OK. But that
has always been a point of irritation to me in OE/WM going back to the
beginning. I'd still like to know if there's a way I can change the default
action for d-clicking a Contact. Thanks,

R.

Old September 12th 10, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Why do things the hard way? There is no need to go into the
Contacts screen. Start a new email message, click on 'To'
and select the recipient. Alternatively you can type the first few
letters of a contact's name or address in the To line, and
auto-complete fills in the rest. Auto-complete in Windows Mail is
very limited in that it only remembers the last 29 recipients you
have sent mail to. That feature works much better in Windows
Live Mail which uses the entire list of contacts for auto-completion.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Old September 12th 10, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rumpelstiltskin

Thanks, Gary. You reminded me to look closer at WLM. Yeah, I was confused
earlier and conflated things. Just gotta live with the extra clicks I guess.
Inline auto complete has never worked well for me. Just one of those things.

R.

Old September 12th 10, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

You're very welcome. If you're going to try out Windows Live Mail,
I recommend the latest beta:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta
It will automatically import all your Windows Mail data.