Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Microsoft mail set up

Old September 12th 10, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Linda M

Default Microsoft mail set up

The host ' could not be found. Please verify that you have
entered the server name correctly.
Subject 'test', Account: 'www.mhc.edu', Server: ',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11003, Error Number:
0x800CCC0D

this is the message I receive after several attempts to set up the microsoft
office email - not sure what the SMTP is?
Old September 12th 10, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rumpelstiltskin

Go to Tools menu, Accounts. Once you have the Accounts dialogue,
double-click your email account. On the first "General" tab, the top line is
for your information only. You name the account so you can tell it apart
from other accounts. The User Information is actually used in the emails you
send, so that should usually be accurate and appropriate.

Next, on the Servers tab, use these settings:
--Server Information--
Incoming mail (POP3): pop3.email.msn.com
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp.email.msn.com

--Incoming Mail Server
E-mail username: Use your entire email address:
Password: Self-explanatory

Next, put in a check the box for "Log on using Secure Password
Authentication."

At the bottom is an item that says "My server requires authentication." That
should be checked. Behind the Settings button, it should say "Use Same
Settings as My Incoming Mail Server".

Now go to the Advanced tab. First, put checks in for both boxes that say
"This server requires a secure connection (SSL)", then for the Outgoing
server, use port 25 and for the Incoming server use 995. Once you've input
these port numbers, make sure the two check boxes are still checked and that
the numbers are still correct.

Click OK and then send yourself a test message. I got these data from the
following KB article, but it's written for Outlook, not Windows Mail, so the
instructions are off in places.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930008

R.

Subject 'test', Account: 'www.mhc.edu', Server: ',

Old September 12th 10, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen

Not sure what you mean by "Microsoft office email." I don't
recognize that as the name of any email program. Did you mean
Windows Mail?
If your MSN account is a paid one, use the settings given by
Rumpelstiltskin. If it is a free account, use these settings:

http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog...33!49799.entry
Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMTP server.

To give you a bit of history, Windows Mail doesn't support HTTP mail,
which for a long time was the only allowed access method for free
Hotmail/MSN accounts. Also, since Windows Mail development was
frozen in July 2006, it is not aware that Microsoft enabled POP access
for free Hotmail/Live/MSN accounts in Feb. 2009. Consequently, the
Windows Mail account setup wizard is hard-coded to reject Hotmail
and MSN addresses.To get around that limitation, when you enter your
Hotmail/MSN email address initially, use a fake domain, such as
. After the account setup is complete, you can go back
into the settings and correct your email address.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Subject 'test', Account: 'www.mhc.edu', Server: ',