Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Vanishing email folders

Old June 4th 11, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Anna[_6_]

Default Vanishing email folders

I'm trying to fathom out why folders keep vanishing in Windows Mail on
Vista Home Premium.

There are three email accounts in use. One uses the normal Inbox and
folders have been created for the other two, to serve as their own
'Inboxes' with message rules set up to direct appropriate incoming mail
into them. So far so good and it all works fine. But after a few weeks,
those folders disappear along with all the mail they contained. There's
no sign of them in the Deleted Items or any other folder and they're
nowhere to be found on the computer, nor any of the emails they contained.

This has happened at least three times now and although I've set it up
again and it's working, I fully expect the folders to vanish again in
the next several weeks! Needless to say, it's causing considerable
annoyance to the people concerned that so much email keeps getting lost.

Is this known to happen with Windows Mail? Other than reverting to
having all email in the regular Inbox, which they really don't want,
would anyone have any suggestions that might help?

--
Anna
Old June 4th 11, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
mac

"Anna" wrote in message
[...]

Anna, this does not, (has not) happened to me (yet), I have 15 email
accounts all set as you describe, with Message Rules to redirect to relevant
folders. Using WM on three different Vista partitions/drives, and on three
(hacked) W7 partitions/drives.

I have to assume that it is a local to you problem?

Try Compacting and Repairing the WM database with the following tool:

Download and then install.

http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/Default.aspx

Please read the instructions.
HTH?

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

Old June 4th 11, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Anna[_6_]

On 04/06/2011 02:13, mac wrote:

snip

Anna, this does not, (has not) happened to me (yet), I have 15 email
accounts all set as you describe, with Message Rules to redirect to relevant
folders. Using WM on three different Vista partitions/drives, and on three
(hacked) W7 partitions/drives.

I have to assume that it is a local to you problem?

Try Compacting and Repairing the WM database with the following tool:

Download and then install.

http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/Default.aspx

Please read the instructions.
HTH?

I can't try it until I see the computer again but it sounds as if may
well help. Yes, it does seem to be local to the particular computer -
I've seen plenty with a similar setup and no problems. There are also
occasional emails which refuse to delete which, from reading the
instructions, would seem to indicate a database problem.

I have a reasonable knowledge of most email clients, but not the kind of
knowledge I have of the one I use myself so some help with more obscure
problems is very welcome.

Thank you!

--
Anna