PLEASE HELP! WMM to DVD problem

Old January 20th 10, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Captain Tatonka

Default PLEASE HELP! WMM to DVD problem

Hi All,
First let me apologize for not having the time to make a formal
introduction post but I have been pulling my hair out here trying to
take what is a nice and clear 30 minute video in WMM and transfer it to
DVD with custom menu and such. I am using Winodws Vista on a Sony Vaio
laptop.

Now the film as I see it in WMM is nice and clear and the sound is
nice and stereo-sounding. It is an .avi in the timeline and is only one
large file that is already edited. As I said, it looks clear and sounds
clear in the preview pane.

Now I have ripped through an entire 50 pack of blank Memorex DV-R DVDs
trying to get this right but I just can't. Everytime I make a DVD the
playback on my TV is HORRIBLE! The video looks "choppy" and grainy,
especially choppy when there is a camera pan or other movement. The
audio also sounds "muffled". It just comes out rotten and looks nothing
like it does on my PC. I am at wits end with this and just flung yet
another failed DVD across the room in rage. This should not be this
hard to do on a consumer PC.

Anyway, I have tried everything. I have tried taking this .avi (which
is essentially a collection if individual scenes that were made in WMM
separately and then all combined into one big .avi.) It is my
understanding that WMM works better in terms of fades and transitions
when there are fewer files in the timeline. So I made one big one that
runs about a half hour. All of the raw footage this 30 minute film is
made up of; came from an unedited DVD of camcorder footage. So the raw
footage was, at one time, burned from the camcorder to a DVD without a
PC, just using stand-alone. Then the DVD is inserted into the PC and
copied. These are the raw mpegs I began editing with. As I finalized
and published these individual segments, I did so as avi to preserve the
highest quality, in spite of the ram they hog. These avis were all
eventually combined and published as one large .avi, the one in question
here that I am trying to get onto a DVD.

Now as I said, the quality of the .avi on my PC is GREAT! It looks
just how I want it to. It's something that's going on when that file is
put onto a DVD that is screwing it up terribly. It just plays grainy
and jumpy on the TV and looks "old" whereas the quality on the PC is
crystal clear and in stereo.

So, what I need to know is a step-by-step procedure to take this
beautiful 30 minutes of video and get it onto a Memorex DVD-R while
maintaining it's beautiful quality. I really am ready to pull my hair
out here as I was working on a timetable and have now wasted two weeks
just trying to get this on a DVD. I'm amazed at how much of a pain this
is given all the modern technology we have. I'm sure I have everything
I need on my PC...perhaps I am just doing the wrong thing.

Anyone out there that knows how to help me, PLEASE do. You have no
idea how much it would mean to me to see this video play as niceon my TV
as it does on the PC.

Thanks in advance and once again thanks for having me here guys. Sorry
my intropost has to be so boring but right now I am rushed and
desparate.

Thanks!

--
Captain Tatonka