Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

OS on a logical drive by itself?

Old July 22nd 10, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

Default OS on a logical drive by itself?

I've often heard that the OS should be on a drive (logical drive) by
itself so that, when it gets a problem, you can just re-install a new
copy of the OS on that drive. However, isn't the OS modified when you
install programs? Where would you install them? Can someone explain the
procedure for this and how it works? It has always confused me and, if
if works as I understand, I'd like to try it.
Old July 22nd 10, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:36:41 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:12:21 -0400, wrote:

I've often heard that the OS should be on a drive (logical drive) by
itself so that, when it gets a problem, you can just re-install a new
copy of the OS on that drive. However, isn't the OS modified when you
install programs? Where would you install them? Can someone explain the
procedure for this and how it works? It has always confused me and, if
if works as I understand, I'd like to try it.

Although some people have that point of view, I don't agree at all.
You might like to read my views on partitioning in this article I've
written: "Understanding Disk Partitioning" at
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326

Excellent article!!!! Although I might even disagree with your second
conclusion - the reason being is that a lot of data resides under the
User folder and it would be beyond most people's ability to put this
folder on the Data drive.

What do you think?

Bob
Old July 22nd 10, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake, MVP

wrote:

I've often heard that the OS should be on a drive (logical drive) by
itself so that, when it gets a problem, you can just re-install a new
copy of the OS on that drive. However, isn't the OS modified when you
install programs? Where would you install them? Can someone explain the
procedure for this and how it works? It has always confused me and, if
if works as I understand, I'd like to try it.

Although some people have that point of view, I don't agree at all.
You might like to read my views on partitioning in this article I've
written: "Understanding Disk Partitioning" at
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326

Excellent article!!!!

Thanks very much for the kind words.

Although I might even disagree with your second
conclusion -

You mean my discussion of "2. A partition for installed programs"
which says "there is hardly ever a good reason for separating Windows
from application software in separate partitions"?

the reason being is that a lot of data resides under the
User folder and it would be beyond most people's ability to put this
folder on the Data drive.

What do you think?

Are you saying that data is saved within the folder in which a program
is installed?

If so, that may occur some of the time, but very rarely. And if it
does, it's typically a poorly written program that would do that. None
of my programs do that.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old July 23rd 10, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

No, I'm saying some data is saved in the Registry and some of it is saved
in C:\Users\whoever\AppData, etc.
Old July 23rd 10, 05:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Ken Blake, MVP

wrote:

[...]

Data is normally saved in "My Documents." I don't know any examples of
its being in the registry,

and some of it is saved in C:\Users\whoever\AppData, etc.

Not normally, but even if it were, that has nothing to do with the
statement "there is hardly ever a good reason for separating Windows

Old July 25th 10, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Poutnik

In article ,
in says...

Although some people have that point of view, I don't agree at all.
You might like to read my views on partitioning in this article I've
written: "Understanding Disk Partitioning" at
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326

[Quoting of link content]

1. If your backup scheme is to image the entire drive, have just a
single partition (usually C.

2. If you just backup data, set up two partitions: one for Windows and
installed application programs (usually C, and the other for data
(usually D.

In my opinion, except for those running multiple operating systems, you
seldom get any benefit to having more than two partitions.
[/Quoting]

There is another backup scheme where 2 partitions is advantage:

Imaging whole system/application partition C
and backuping just part of data partition D.

Old July 26th 10, 03:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

One example is Mailwasher Pro by Firetrust. I just upgraded from Vista
to W7 and, even though I have a full backup of my "C" drive, I'm having
trouble getting at all my data because their Technical Support tells me
that some of my data is in the Registry.

and some of it is saved in C:\Users\whoever\AppData, etc.

Eudora (an email client) places data/settings here.