Vista Banter

-   Printing, Faxing and Scanning with Vista (http://www.vistabanter.com/printing-faxing-scanning-vista/)
-   -   Can ping printer but can't print (http://www.vistabanter.com/186139-can-ping-printer-but-cant-print.html)

sandals30 September 21st 09 03:26 AM

Can ping printer but can't print

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, but thru searching I think I might get
the help I need here.
I have a Brother MFC-420CN that I had hooked up to our Fios wireless
router for almost 2 yrs with no problems. We had to unhook everything
for a while. When I went to set it back up tonight I tried to print to
it from My Dell Desktop (Vista Home Basic) but it kept erroring out. I
noticed that it said it was offline. I checked my router admin page and
it showed the printer as active and enabled with an IP address of
192.168.1.100. I was able to successfully ping it from the admin panel
and the comand prompt, but I was not able to view it in a browser
window. I tried rebooting the router, PC and printer to no avail. I then
tried printing from my wireless laptop, (Compaq- Vista). I successfully
did a test print from the laptop, but then I tried to view the printer
thru an internet browser and after that it did the same thing as the
Dell. It will show Ready for the status, but if I try to print it errors
out and goes to Offline. I tried it from one other laptop we have
(Toshiba-Vista) with no luck. I tried deleting and readding the printer,
no change. I found a thread that said to remove SNMP from the Port
settings. I did that on both the Dell and the Compaq. The Compaq now
prints, but the Dell still won't print at all. Haven't tried it on the
Toshiba yet (limited access- teenagers pc :-)
I don't see why unplugging it would make it stop working on all three
pc's. I don't know why I can ping it, but not connect to it in a browser
or print to it. I would really like some help to get it working again on
all three pc's.

--
sandals30