Print Spooler is AWOL

Old January 6th 10, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
McSmiley

Default Print Spooler is AWOL

Hi I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes.

I am running Vista Home Premium. I have had to re-install Vista three
times since I got my computer about three years ago (the 1st time Vista
just crashed, 2nd time I had a virus, and last November I kept having
problems with my print spooler and the technician suggested that to fix
this we would have to reinstall Vista yet again). I also had a similar
problem with the print spooler back in the summer of '09. That problem
was fixed by my computer technician and every thing seemed fine.

I run three printers off a hub all connected using USB. I have a Canon
Pixma IP4200, HP Laserjet 1012, and a HP Color Laserjet CP1215. The
technician who repaired my problem reinstalled all the newest drivers
from the manufacturers websites after reinstalling Vista.

On January 1st we used all three printers a number of times. When I
went to use the printers on January 2nd, the computer informed me
basically I had no printers installed and did I want to install one. I
went to Services, thinking I had to restart the print spooler. When I
scrolled down I found that the print spooler file had *vanished*. There
was no spooler file.

I have tried going online and following all the fixes offered by others
but to no avail. I even went to Microsoft's site and installed and ran
their "Fix it" program, I have tried using system restore, again no
luck. I have tried going to RUN and "cmd sc query spooler" and got an
error code 1060 -"The specified service does not exist as an installed
service" I tried RUNCMDsfc /scannow (and put your vista disk inside
the drive) and again no luck.

One common thing I did discover however, is that my print spooler
problems always seemed to occur right after a Microsoft automatic
update. I tried deleting these updates but again to no avail.

After more than 30 hours of research and trying fixes I am very close
to giving up and going down to buy an iMac. I hope someone out there has
a solution. I do not want to reinstall Vista again! I do not want to
spend any more money. One technician has suggested I switch to Windows
7. That means more dollars spent for a new operating system, data
backup, and my time. My patience is wearing very thin. Hopefully someone
has an answer?

--
McSmiley