WMP 11 Stuttering

Old February 2nd 07, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Toast

Default WMP 11 Stuttering

Whenever I play any audio, ANY audio (Windows sounds, DVDs, CDs, music in my
library), the sound always stutters, as if it's being chopped up. I need help
on this, please.

Windows Vista Home Premium, upgraded from XP SP2
WMP 11 with no add-ons
Vista is updated fully
No special graphics on at the time (Aero, Sidebar disabled)
Old February 2nd 07, 06:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Graham Hughes

Sound card drivers have been updated to vista compatible versions?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

Old February 2nd 07, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Toast

I went to Device Manager, right-clicked the Sound Controller, and updated it.
Sadly, the sound is still choppy.

The manufacturer of the computer (HP Laptop) doesn't have the drivers
because they don't service the model I have. (I upgraded to Vista, against
HP's suggestions.) However, everything else on my computer works fine. The
audio is the only part that's bad at the moment.

Old February 3rd 07, 07:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Ron K.

Is the problem only in Mediaplayer? Try out Winamp or another player see if
you get the same result.

Old February 3rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Toast

Like I've said in my first post, it happens with ALL applications, be it WMP
11, InterDVD (a DVD-player program on my PC), the opening, closing, and all
caution Windows sounds, music from a website, a game that used to work
excellently on XP...whatever the sound may be, it always comes out choppy.

Actually, it sounds much like the problem down below titled "All media
running slow". It seems as if the audio IS running slow, but sounds choppy
and static-like as well.

My PC's base score is 2.5 for graphics, but everything else is rated 3 or
higher, the highest being the hard disk, at 4.2.

My PC is a laptop, so changing the cords won't help at all. Even with or
without headphones, it sounds choppy. I have a hunch that it has to do with
startup programs, but I'm not really sure, because all of them are
"must-start" at startup. All programs have been updated with Microsoft
Update, and I've manually checked for any updates through Device Manager. I'm
just about crazy without my music...someone, please help...

Old February 3rd 07, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Graham Hughes

Doesn't the piece you've written give you a clue?

How did you update your sound card drivers if HP do not have any? MS
versions are not normally compatible.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

Old February 3rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dale

What sound chipset does your laptop say? How is your sound card identified
in Device Manager? I had to go to the chipset manufacturer's site to get
Vista drivers for my brand new Intel mother board.

Dale

Old February 3rd 07, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Toast

Graham, I'm sorry for wasting your time, but my piece SHOULD have given YOU a
clue, if you had Vista. I thought this board was all about Vista.

Anyways, on Device Manager, I right-clicked the Sound Controller, and
clicked on "Manually Update Driver", because Windows Update wouldn't update
it. THAT'S what I meant by "there were no more updates". I only went to HP to
see if they had any drivers. But, they didn't.

So, now I un-installed and re-installed the driver that came with Vista (for
the sound card), and the static and choppiness is still there. And therefore,
I conclude that there's something wrong with either the machine (I doubt it
though...worked fine with XP), or with Vista.

Old February 4th 07, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Graham Hughes

Hi,
I have Vista, and have had it for some time.

The item I referred to was

--- The manufacturer of the computer (HP Laptop) doesn't have the drivers
because they don't service the model I have. (I upgraded to Vista, against
HP's suggestions.) ---

Laptops have propriotry items installed or generic ones remodelled to suit
the specific laptop model so 99.9% of the time drivers need to be supplied
by the manufacturer of the laptop, not MS and not the manufacturer of the
item concerned.

Did you run windows upgrade advisor before installation?
What did it say?

Your options are to scour HP's web site and pick drivers for similar models
to yours with vista drivers and try those, try the sound device
manufacturers web site and do the same, or I'm afraid live with the fact
that your machine is only capable of running XP and wait until you upgrade
to run Vista.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

Old February 4th 07, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Toast

Graham,

Sorry about that. I have checked with the manufacturer (Conexant), and they
say they manufacture modems, not sound systems.

When I ran the Windows Advisor program to check my PC against the
requirements of Vista, it said that there were absolutely no issues, and that
Home Premium would work fine on my machine.

I guess I'll have to either stick with Vista without music, revert back to
XP, or stick with Vista with an iPod.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Much appreciated.