Vista Banter

-   General Vista Help and Support (http://www.vistabanter.com/general-vista-help-support/)
-   -   Need help diagnosing laptop hanging (http://www.vistabanter.com/186569-need-help-diagnosing-laptop-hanging.html)

Bob F[_3_] February 9th 12 03:15 AM

Need help diagnosing laptop hanging

I've been trying to figure our what is causing an HP Vista laptop (dual core
AMD) to hang during operation. Sometimes it will work for hours, sometimes
barely minutes. The hangs usually shows when you try to do something, and the
cursor will show the "busy" rolling circle. It seems like the harddisc will
initially be cycleing continuously (LED flashing) for a while, then finally it
will just occasionally flash. The mouse still moves, but you cannot start or
close windows. When I've managed to have the task manager running when it hangs,
I've seen nothing unusual there, but that eventually hangs also. Tasks that
won't respond will in cases show as "not responding", but trying to close them
from the task manager doesn't work. The system does not recover. I eventually
have to power it down, and then turn it on and run the windows disk check before
I try anything further. Speedfan shows to intense processing when the hang
occures.

I've run Memtest86+ and Seagate floppy based disk test without errors. The full
scan of the 250GB drive took about 2 full days to complete, which seems really
long to me, but it showed no errors.

This happened occasionally months ago and I thought I had it gone after
updateing windows, but is now occuring to the point that the computer is pretty
useless.

If anyone can suggest ideas for tracking this down, or sites than can help with
this process, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Windows Syatem page shows:
HP G60 Notebook
AMD Turion RM-70 2GZ
3GB Ram
Vista 32 bit

Windows Update says it is up-to-date.

Speedfan typically shows:
GPU 54C
Temp1 39
Temp2 39
Core 43

webster72n February 9th 12 04:16 AM

Bob F wrote:
[...]

The use of your diagnostic CD, supplied with the laptop would be in
order. You can choose the pertinent test for your situation and find out
what may be wrong.
In case you don't have the CD, you should be able to obtain one or find
a suitable program for your needs.

Harry.

pjp[_4_] February 9th 12 02:24 PM

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

All I can tell you is right now there's a pc sitting on a desk here does
more or less same thing, e.g. just randomly locks up and nothing works, no
keyboard, mouse etc. One must pull plug to power it off and then it reboots
fine to sooner more than later do same thing again.

I'm basically positive it's the hard disk screwing up. Listening carefully
and one can hear it trying it's "retries". That led to a boot time full scan
which passed which led to using the hard disk manufacturers "SMART"
diagnostics utility whiched fails the drive fairly far along in the testing.

Unforetunately I don't have at hand another sata drive to throw in it and
test further without removing one already being used in another pc as a
slave. Time for a Linux live cd for a bit me thinks :)

Bob F[_3_] February 9th 12 08:15 PM

Bob F wrote:
[...]

I may have made some progress. Checking the Device Manager, I saw yellow
warnings by the 6to4 and Microsoft TUN miniport adapter #2. I followed John
Will's suggestion on
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...pter-fail.html. The
computer has been running for 15 hours so far without problem. Surprising, but I
hope it holds.

Does this fix make any sense?

webster72n February 11th 12 08:03 PM

Bob F wrote:
Bob F wrote:

I've run Memtest86+ and Seagate floppy based disk test without
errors. The full scan of the 250GB drive took about 2 full days to
complete, which seems really long to me, but it showed no errors.

This happened occasionally months ago and I thought I had it gone
after updateing windows, but is now occuring to the point that the
computer is pretty useless.

If anyone can suggest ideas for tracking this down, or sites than can
help with this process, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Windows Syatem page shows:
HP G60 Notebook
AMD Turion RM-70 2GZ
3GB Ram
Vista 32 bitlly
flash. The mouse still moves, but you cannot start or close windo

Windows Update says it is up-to-date.

Speedfan typically shows:
GPU 54C
Temp1 39
Temp2 39
Core 43

I may have made some progress. Checking the Device Manager, I saw yellow
warnings by the 6to4 and Microsoft TUN miniport adapter #2. I followed John
Will's suggestion on
http://forums.techguy.org/networking...pter-fail.html. The
computer has been running for 15 hours so far without problem. Surprising, but I
hope it holds.

Does this fix make any sense?

Good of you to let us know, Bob, thank you.
It certainly makes sense, especially when it's working.

Harry.