DVD Maker is garbage. What's a good alternative?

Old February 16th 12, 01:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Hexter

Default DVD Maker is garbage. What's a good alternative?

Hi,

I just wasted several DVD disks trying to make a DVD
of a home movie. I keep getting a useless error
message with no detail and end up with a bad disk.

What is a good, preferably free, DVD making software
that works well on Vista without making coasters?

Thank you.

P.S. Why does Vista suck so much?
Old February 16th 12, 01:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nil[_3_]

On 15 Feb 2012, Hexter wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

What is a good, preferably free, DVD making software
that works well on Vista without making coasters?

ImgBurn.

P.S. Why does Vista suck so much?

It works OK for me. Why, when there are so many things that could be
going wrong, do you blame the OS specifically?

Old February 16th 12, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch[_5_]

On 2/15/2012, Nil posted:
On 15 Feb 2012, Hexter wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

What is a good, preferably free, DVD making software
that works well on Vista without making coasters?

ImgBurn.

P.S. Why does Vista suck so much?

It works OK for me. Why, when there are so many things that could be
going wrong, do you blame the OS specifically?

Well, clearly, if a given program works badly, it must be the OS :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

Old February 16th 12, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Hexter"

| Hi,
|
| I just wasted several DVD disks trying to make a DVD
| of a home movie. I keep getting a useless error
| message with no detail and end up with a bad disk.
|
| What is a good, preferably free, DVD making software
| that works well on Vista without making coasters?
|
| Thank you.
|
| P.S. Why does Vista suck so much?

The question is ambivalent.

"DVD making software" as a data disk hosting a MOV or AVI file or authoring
a DVD movie that can be played on a DVD player or computer ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old February 16th 12, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

Gene E. Bloch wrote:

Nil posted:

Hexter wrote:

Why does Vista suck so much?

It works OK for me. Why, when there are so many things that could be
going wrong, do you blame the OS specifically?

Well, clearly, if a given program works badly, it must be the OS :-)

And here I believed for years that all optical drive manufacturers were
adding a randomized progressively increased deliberate corruption
algorithm in the firmware in their product as an integral part of
planned obsolescence.
Old February 16th 12, 04:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nil[_3_]

On 16 Feb 2012, VanguardLH wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

And here I believed for years that all optical drive manufacturers
were adding a randomized progressively increased deliberate
corruption algorithm in the firmware in their product as an
integral part of planned obsolescence.

They sorta do, in a way. I never get much more than about a year of
moderate use out of any DVD burner any more. It's like they make them
just barely good enough to work until their warranty runs out, then
they die. They've become consumables, like the disk media itself.
Old February 16th 12, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Nil"

| On 16 Feb 2012, VanguardLH wrote in
| microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

And here I believed for years that all optical drive manufacturers
were adding a randomized progressively increased deliberate
corruption algorithm in the firmware in their product as an
integral part of planned obsolescence.

| They sorta do, in a way. I never get much more than about a year of
| moderate use out of any DVD burner any more. It's like they make them
| just barely good enough to work until their warranty runs out, then
| they die. They've become consumables, like the disk media itself.

LOL - too phunny ;-)

Old February 16th 12, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Kirk Bubul[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:54:35 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 16 Feb 2012, VanguardLH wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

And here I believed for years that all optical drive manufacturers
were adding a randomized progressively increased deliberate
corruption algorithm in the firmware in their product as an
integral part of planned obsolescence.

They sorta do, in a way. I never get much more than about a year of
moderate use out of any DVD burner any more. It's like they make them
just barely good enough to work until their warranty runs out, then
they die. They've become consumables, like the disk media itself.

How many discs are you burning per year? I've had at least two
systems with DVD burners on them. The first one lasted over 3 years
of occasional DVD burner use and moderate reading of DVDs and CDs. The
second one has burned about 40 DVDs in the 28 months I've had it and
is still doing fine. It has burned about as many CDs in the same time
frame.