Desktop shortcuts opening in Word...

Old February 21st 12, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mike[_36_]

Default Desktop shortcuts opening in Word...

Just recently, URL shortcuts on my desktop will open in Word, rather
than opening the link in IE.

I looked at default programs & .url is set to open with Internet
Browser. I've also tried the KB article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505,
but no help.

If I go to the shortcut through favorites, it opens ok & have deleted
shortcuts & sent new ones to desktop, but they still behave the
same...

Any other suggestions?

Old February 21st 12, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Mike"

| Just recently, URL shortcuts on my desktop will open in Word, rather
| than opening the link in IE.
|
| I looked at default programs & .url is set to open with Internet
| Browser. I've also tried the KB article,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505,
| but no help.
|
| If I go to the shortcut through favorites, it opens ok & have deleted
| shortcuts & sent new ones to desktop, but they still behave the
| same...
|
| Any other suggestions?

LNK files have been assoicited to Winword.exe, they have to fixed to be
considered executable.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old February 21st 12, 07:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mike[_36_]

From: "Mike"

considered executable.http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool -http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.ukhttp://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Ok, gave that a try & got the following message:

Cannot import C:\...\linkfile_fix.reg: Not all data was successfully
written to the registry. SOme keys are open by the system or other
processes.

Another thing I found odd is computer wanted to save this as a WIndows
Media File type & the only other optiuon in drop down menu was all
files.
Windows media player would open when trying to open it. I had to DL
winrar to get it to unzip.
I'm thinking a few different file associations are whacked!
BTW, thanks for the reply - I've had this on the technet forums for a
couple of days & have got a lotta looks, but 0 replies!
Old February 21st 12, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman