vista install over itself and what will be need to do after?

Old April 16th 12, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DJW

Default vista install over itself and what will be need to do after?

If I use my restore discs I made to get vista back working better will
I need to reinstall the drivers for the chipset and sound card and
video? May I need to reinstall any applications I installed after I
last made a restore disc? And will all my files be safe and there
after I do the restore from the discs I made when I first got the
computer?
Old April 16th 12, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bob F[_3_]

DJW wrote:
If I use my restore discs I made to get vista back working better will
I need to reinstall the drivers for the chipset and sound card and
video? May I need to reinstall any applications I installed after I
last made a restore disc? And will all my files be safe and there
after I do the restore from the discs I made when I first got the
computer?

If you do a repair installation, Your programs will remain. If you just do an
installation, they will not work anymore.

Drivers and updates may have to be re-installed.

Old April 18th 12, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DJW

On Apr 16, 5:50*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
DJW wrote:
If I use my restore discs I made to get vista back working better will
I need to reinstall the drivers for the chipset and sound card and
video? May I need to reinstall any applications I installed after I
last made a restore disc? And will all my files be safe and there
after I do the restore from the discs I made when I first got the
computer?

If you do a repair installation, Your programs will remain. If you just do an
installation, they will not work anymore.

Drivers and updates may have to be re-installed.

its a 32 bit vista could I get a 64 bit and install that what is the
difference? and why?
Old April 18th 12, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tim Slattery

DJW wrote:

On Apr 16, 5:50*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
DJW wrote:
If I use my restore discs I made to get vista back working better will
I need to reinstall the drivers for the chipset and sound card and
video? May I need to reinstall any applications I installed after I
last made a restore disc? And will all my files be safe and there
after I do the restore from the discs I made when I first got the
computer?

If you do a repair installation, Your programs will remain. If you just do an
installation, they will not work anymore.

Drivers and updates may have to be re-installed.

its a 32 bit vista could I get a 64 bit and install that what is the
difference? and why?

The biggest difference is the ability to use more RAM. A 32-bit OS can
see 4GB of RAM (and can't actually use all of that). 64-bit Vista can
use a lot more, here are the numbers:

Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Business, Enterprise, Ultimate: 128GB
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx)

That allows you to run more programs simultaneously, even RAM-hungry
ones, without using the swap file, and that will make your computer
run faster.

The drawback is that there is no upgrade from a 32-bit to 64-bit
Vista. You have to install the 64-bit version from scratch. And you'll
want to make sure that 64-bit Vista drivers exist for your motherboard
and peripherals before you make the switch.

--
Tim Slattery

Old April 18th 12, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
warner

DJW wrote on 04/16/2012 12:05 ET :
If I use my restore discs I made to get vista back working better will
I need to reinstall the drivers for the chipset and sound card and
video? May I need to reinstall any applications I installed after I
last made a restore disc? And will all my files be safe and there
after I do the restore from the discs I made when I first got the
computer?

When you repair operating system then your All drivers and softwares not need
re-install.
In case you install a fresh copy of operating system then installed drivers and
software will not work and will not provide Computer support any more.In this
case you need to re-install your drives as well.
Old April 18th 12, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DJW

On Apr 18, 10:35*am, warner
wrote:
*DJW wrote on 04/16/2012 12:05 ET : If I use my restore discs I made to get vista back working better will
I need to reinstall the drivers for the chipset and sound card and
video? May I need to reinstall any applications I installed after I
last made a restore disc? And will all my files be safe and there
after I do the restore from the discs I made when I first got the
computer?

*When you repair operating system then your All drivers and softwares not need
*re-install.
*In case you install a fresh copy of operating system then installed drivers and
*software will not work and will not provide Computer support any more.In this
*case you need to re-install your drives as well.

with vista install disc is 64 and 32 bit options always present
provided the cpu can run 64 bit or are they separate installer discs?