Vista-32 bit OS load problem

Old May 28th 12, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

Default Vista-32 bit OS load problem

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
"R. H. Breener Jr." wrote in message
It still takes 2 or 3 tries before the PC will boot. Googling online I
found this is a common problem but found no solution. What can
I try next?

I want to see if we can get you into the setup screens and tell the
machine to restore BIOS settings. But without a working keyboard, this is
difficult. The way to do it without a keyboard isn't that complicated,
but depending on how the machine has been customized, it could totally
disable it. And comparing what you've said about the machine and what
I've found out about it's factory setup, it's definitely been customized.
So, let's not go there just yet.

Note that this is not Windows restore we're talking about. You've done
that already. This is much lower level than that.

Open the following page, which has the technical data for your computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3715498

Then scroll down until you get to the section titled "I/O PORTS" and the
subsection "BACK I/O PORTS". The port marked 1 is the PS/2 mouse
connector and the one marked 14 is PS/2 keyboard connector. From the data
a but further on it appears the machine came with a PS/2 keyboard and
mouse. Please verify, did your original keyboard and mouse plug into these
connectors?

I honestly can't remember since the original KB and mouse are along since
worn out and gone. The mouse and KB being use now have USB cables on them
and have for over a year, maybe longer.

The four connectors marked with 12 are USB ports. There are also two more
of these on the front of the machine. Do you new mouse and keyboard plug
into any of these connectors?

The mouse is connected to the port on the monitor. The monitor came with 2
USB ports. IT's been connected there for a long time.

And while we're collecting information, is there anything else plugged
into any of those USB ports? Front or rear?

The Seagate backup external drive in also plugged into the monitor's 2nd USB
port and has been.

Is there anything plugged into the IEEE 1394a connector, marked 4?

I don't see anything back there that looks like #4.

Also observe the VGA connector, marked 3 on the picture. From what you've
said about video related errors, I’m pretty sure your monitor is not
plugged in here, but please just let us know for sure.

Yes - that is where it is plugged in. Since getting an update for the N
Vidia, I'm not getting that error anymore.

Again, from what you've said, I expect you monitor is plugged into a card
in a PCI slot, immediately to the right of the connectors marked 8, 9 and
10 on the picture.

Nope. The end of the monitor cord would not fit there. It will only fit
where it's plugged in now.

So, the questions a
1. Did your original keyboard and mouse plug into the PS/2 connectors 1 &
14 ?

I can't remember since they've been gone for a long time.

2. Do your current keyboard and mouse plug into the USB connectors marked
12 (or the similar ports on the front) ?

The mouse is plugged into the USB on the side of the monitor. The KB in
plugged into a USB port on the back. The back of my PC doesn't look like
that photograph. It's been this way for a long time.

3. Is there anything else plugged into any of the USB connectors marked 12
(or the similar ports on the front) ?

No.

4. Is anything plugged into the IEEE 1394a connector marked 4 ?

There is nothing I can see that resembles that.

5. Is your monitor plugged into the VGA connector marked 3 ?

Yes.

6. Is your monitor plugged into the PCI x16 slot, immediately to the right
of the audio (8, 9 & 10) connectors ?

It's in the one marked #3. It wouldn't fit anywhere else.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Oh, you say that you found that this is a common problem. Please give me
the URL of one or two of those pages you found.

- Bill

That was last week so I can't recall the exact websites. I Googled "Vista
can't load OS" and went from there. Just trying to find the exact same
problem was a b*tch. I never did in fact. One problem I've run into is
most advice is either too technical, not my exact problem or for a version I
don't have, nor do I have the MS disk for this PC. All I have is the set of
three made when I bought the PC. They no longer supply the MS OS disk as in
the past.

Old May 28th 12, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"R. H. Breener Jr." wrote in message ...
((..omitted..))

OK. All good news. The machine appears to be pretty much stock. Now go
he

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...d uct=3715498

Scroll down until you find MOTHERBOARD LAYOUT. Observe the location of the
jumpers in the upper right corner. These are the CLEAR CMOS (upper) and
CLEAR PWD (password, lower) jumpers.

These are the jumpers you have to work with in the immediately following
section CLEARING THE BIOS SETTINGS. If everything exactly matches your
motherboard, go ahead and follow the instructions. Follow them exactly. Do
not do the CLEARING THE BIOS PASSWORD SETTINGS section.

It would be a good idea to get a cheap PS/2 keyboard incase you get any
"press this or that to continue" messages.

You should also unplug the external hard drive before doing this. Once the
BIOS has been cleared, it might try to boot from the external drive. And
that would be another reasons to get a PS/2 keyboard. You may find that you
need to set boot order in the BIOS.

Do you have another computer that you'll be able to talk with if this hangs
up the machine?

- Bill

Old May 28th 12, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Mon, 28 May 2012 00:10:18 -0500, R. H. Breener Jr. wrote:

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
[...]

The mouse and drive plugged into the monitor's USB plugs rings a loud
alarm bell for me.

USB hubs (that's what you're using) are notorious for trouble.

OK, not notorious, but problems are not infrequent, so doing that is not
recommended in many situations.

Try plugging the mouse and drive directly into USB ports on the computer
and see how it goes.

No guarantees, but it's absolutely what I would do in your situation.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old May 28th 12, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
The mouse and drive plugged into the monitor's USB plugs rings a loud
alarm bell for me.

USB hubs (that's what you're using) are notorious for trouble.

OK, not notorious, but problems are not infrequent, so doing that is not
recommended in many situations.

I've encountered this enough times that I always plug at least the keyboard
directly into the computer.

But, in this case I'm pretty sure his problem is that the machine came from
the factory with PS/2 keyboard and mouse. So the BIOS is most likely not
set up to do USB to PS/2 emulation. Therefore, the keyboard won't work in
BIOS.

Your point is valid, but he said his mouse is connected to the monitor, his
keyboard is connected to the back of the machine. So, as far as BIOS is
concerned, if it was doing USB to PS/2 emulation, it would be OK. I think
since it's normal configuration was PS/2 it probably just isn't emulating.

- Bill

Old May 28th 12, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Mon, 28 May 2012 17:58:07 -0400, Bill Leary wrote:

[...]

Your criticism (constructive!) is valid, of course.

I wonder if there are adapters that would allow a USB KB to plug into
the PS/2 connector. Or maybe at a rummage sale, he could find an old
PS/2 KB.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old May 28th 12, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

[...]

There are. I've got two of them. They came with Microsoft keyboards and
mice while ago. They're the green thing in the picture he

- Bill

Old May 29th 12, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
"R. H. Breener Jr." wrote in message
((..omitted..))

OK. All good news. The machine appears to be pretty much stock. Now go
he

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...d uct=3715498

Scroll down until you find MOTHERBOARD LAYOUT. Observe the location of
the jumpers in the upper right corner. These are the CLEAR CMOS (upper)
and CLEAR PWD (password, lower) jumpers.

These are the jumpers you have to work with in the immediately following
section CLEARING THE BIOS SETTINGS. If everything exactly matches your
motherboard, go ahead and follow the instructions. Follow them exactly.
Do not do the CLEARING THE BIOS PASSWORD SETTINGS section.

I want to thank you for your time, but this is way beyond my expertise, not
for the average Joe or Jane to attempt. The most I've ever done was remove
the case and blow out the dust. I'll see if I can find someone with more
experience with computers to do this. I seriously doubt any of our friends
or family would attempt it in case something goes wrong and it wont boot at
all.

It would be a good idea to get a cheap PS/2 keyboard incase you get any
"press this or that to continue" messages.

You should also unplug the external hard drive before doing this. Once
the BIOS has been cleared, it might try to boot from the external drive.
And that would be another reasons to get a PS/2 keyboard. You may find
that you need to set boot order in the BIOS.

I have no idea how to set the BIOS. I don't think I've ever even seen it. I
was afraid this problem would be a serious one, not something easy to fix.

Do you have another computer that you'll be able to talk with if this
hangs up the machine?

- Bill

Doing something like this by email/text is difficult. I'll have to call
around and see if any of my friends or neighbors can recommend someone with
experience in fixing or working on PCs. I don't mind paying someone if they
know what they're doing. I'll let you know if I can find someone.

Old May 29th 12, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
[...]

Once the cheap flimsy ones give me trouble I toss them and purchase a new,
better KB. The original is gone for a long time. I just want you to know
that nothing changed in the set-up with this PC for several years. Then,
after that last MS update (could be a coincidence) the problems started.

Old May 30th 12, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"R. H. Breener Jr." wrote in message ...
I want to thank you for your time, but this is way beyond my expertise,
not for the average Joe or Jane to attempt. The most I've ever done was
remove the case and blow out the dust. I'll see if I can find someone
with more experience with computers to do this. I seriously doubt any of
our friends or family would attempt it in case something goes wrong and it
wont boot at all.

Best not to try it if you're not comfortable with it. I wish I could
suggest some business I'd trust to take it to, but I've got little faith in
any of the big-box places. But for what it's worth, I agree its best to
find someone you have some faith in who knows what a BIOS settings reset is.
If your day-job has an IT department, I've often found that they'll help out
with employee personal machines. Though they'll usually want to to promise
that, if they break it worse, you'll accept "sorry" and not give them a hard
time about it.

I have no idea how to set the BIOS. I don't think I've ever even seen it.
I was afraid this problem would be a serious one, not something easy to
fix.

I don't think it's serious in the nature of something physically broken. I
think it's serious in that it's fouled up something that the average user
can't fix. The last thing you might try is a recovery from the installation
DVD. This might work if the recovery partition, which you've used already,
is corrupted in some way.

The only other failure I've seen that plays out like this is a pending hard
drive failure. But given your description of the proximate cause, I don't
think that's it. I suspect that something went weird during the updates and
it's fouled your BIOS settings. Microsoft update shouldn't do that, but as
I recall they've started to also deliver vendor specific updates as well.
Without seeing what it tried to do to your machine, I'm thinking a vendor
specific update changed something in the CMOS or Flash equivalent of it and
did it wrong.

Doing something like this by email/text is difficult. I'll have to call
around and see if any of my friends or neighbors can recommend someone
with experience in fixing or working on PCs. I don't mind paying someone
if they know what they're doing. I'll let you know if I can find someone.

Please do. I always like to know what the problem was when I hear of
something like this.

- Bill

Old May 30th 12, 06:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
[...]

I can't get any help there. That's out. The last thing I can try, in case
the D: drive copy is corrupt, is to try and use the set of thee disks made
when the PC was brand new. That copy shouldn't be corrupt.

If I could find a website that takes me step by step through the process, I
can use the kid's laptop here on the end of the desk and try it. But we
really don't know what's causing this boot problem for sure.

I have no idea how to set the BIOS. I don't think I've ever even seen it.
I was afraid this problem would be a serious one, not something easy to
fix.

I don't think it's serious in the nature of something physically broken.
I think it's serious in that it's fouled up something that the average
user can't fix. The last thing you might try is a recovery from the
installation DVD. This might work if the recovery partition, which you've
used already, is corrupted in some way.

Yes.... see above. Several people suggested I do that and just take the
time to set the PC up all over again from scratch. As a last resort that is
probably what I'll do.

The only other failure I've seen that plays out like this is a pending
hard drive failure. But given your description of the proximate cause, I
don't think that's it. I suspect that something went weird during the
updates and it's fouled your BIOS settings. Microsoft update shouldn't do
that, but as I recall they've started to also deliver vendor specific
updates as well. Without seeing what it tried to do to your machine, I'm
thinking a vendor specific update changed something in the CMOS or Flash
equivalent of it and did it wrong.

That is quite possible. And that is making me leery of allowing this PC to
update as it did the last two times I did the system-recovery. This PC ran
like a charm for months on end without a hitch, until those updates. I
can't help feeling that update was somehow the cause, since nothing else was
changed, added, or removed from the computer.

Doing something like this by email/text is difficult. I'll have to call
around and see if any of my friends or neighbors can recommend someone
with experience in fixing or working on PCs. I don't mind paying someone
if they know what they're doing. I'll let you know if I can find
someone.

Please do. I always like to know what the problem was when I hear of
something like this.

- Bill

I'll let you know what the outcome is. I'm waiting to hear back from one
more person. Then, if they can't help, I'll use the original disks made
the day this PC was bought some years back. If that creates a problem or
doesn't work, I may go ahead and call HP for help and advice. This has been
such a good PC I'd hate to junk it and buy another. Once it loads, after a
few tries, it runs just fine, like the day I got it.

Thanks so much for your time and effort in trying to help.