Vista-32 bit OS load problem

Old May 15th 12, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

Default Vista-32 bit OS load problem

I'm having boot problems with Vista 32-bit after doing two
system-recoveries. They were done after a MS update really screwed up my PC
and a system-restore didn't help. It takes 2 to 3 tries before the OS
loads. I get a blue screen with choices such as to select F11 but when this
blue screen appears the mouse and keyboard do not work so I cannot select
anything. I have to keep shutting the PC off and turning it back on. After
several turn-offs and turn-ons the OS finally loads. I no longer hear what
was explained to me as the POST. Once the OS loads, the PC runs fine.
Nothing new was added to this PC before the problematic MS updates.

This is the error I'm getting now, after the system-recovery and if the Blue
screen doesn't appear:

MediaSheild Rom Bios9.83 N Vidia Corp
Detecting arrays

That screen will sit there forever as does the Blue screen until I reboot
the PC.

If I need new N Vidia drivers, how do I know which ones are needed? I now
have version 187.80 but have no idea what to replace it with if that's the
problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=105976 is what I found by
Googling but it goes so far over my head as to be useless. None of my
friends can help as none ever had this issue with V Vidia or the Blue Screen
as start-up.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old May 17th 12, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

R. H. Breener Jr. wrote:
[...]

The Update never screwed up your PC, you did, by shutting off your PC
prematurely, when it told you not to.
Sadly I cannot help you with this dilemma of yours either.
The only thing I know of is to use your diagnostics disk.

Harry.

Old May 17th 12, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"webster72n" wrote in message ...
R. H. Breener Jr. wrote:
I get a blue screen with choices such as to select F11 but when
this blue screen appears the mouse and keyboard do not work so I cannot
select anything. I have to keep shutting the PC off and turning it back
on. After several turn-offs and turn-ons the OS finally loads.

The Update never screwed up your PC, you did, by shutting off your PC
prematurely, when it told you not to.

He's power cycling at the blue screen when trying to boot after doing a
system recovery after the problems started after the update. Not during the
updates.

- Bill

Old May 17th 12, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"R. H. Breener Jr." wrote in message ...

I'm having boot problems with Vista 32-bit after doing two
system-recoveries. They were done after a MS update really screwed up my
PC and a system-restore didn't help. It takes 2 to 3 tries before the OS
loads. I get a blue screen with choices such as to select F11 but when
this blue screen appears the mouse and keyboard do not work so I cannot
select anything. I have to keep shutting the PC off and turning it back
on. After several turn-offs and turn-ons the OS finally loads. I no longer
hear what was explained to me as the POST. Once the OS loads, the PC runs
fine. Nothing new was added to this PC before the problematic MS updates.

What do you mean by "really screwed up" and "system recovery" ?

And what, exactly, does the blue screen say? Not all the hex numbers, but
somewhere in there there is often a line or two of text which says something
about the failure.

This is the error I'm getting now, after the system-recovery and if the
Blue screen doesn't appear:

MediaSheild Rom Bios9.83 N Vidia Corp
Detecting arrays

Do you actually have a disk array? Or arrays? If so, how are they setup
(which RAID level) and how big?

That screen will sit there forever as does the Blue screen until I reboot
the PC.

If I need new N Vidia drivers, how do I know which ones are needed? I now
have version 187.80 but have no idea what to replace it with if that's the
problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=105976 is what I found by
Googling but it goes so far over my head as to be useless.

Why do you think this applies to your machine? This applies to machines
with two terabyte or larger disk arrays.

Old May 19th 12, 05:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

R. H. Breener Jr. wrote:
I get a blue screen with choices such as to select F11 but when
this blue screen appears the mouse and keyboard do not work so I cannot
select anything. I have to keep shutting the PC off and turning it back
on. After several turn-offs and turn-ons the OS finally loads.

The Update never screwed up your PC, you did, by shutting off your PC
prematurely, when it told you not to.

He's power cycling at the blue screen when trying to boot after doing a
system recovery after the problems started after the update. Not during
the updates.

- Bill

Exactly! I keep getting the blue screen at start-up. I used the HP boot
disk to trouble shoot and it found nothing. There are no hardware problems.
I ran check-disk. Nothing makes a difference. After about 5 tries tonight,
the OS finally loaded. No POST. There has to be some cause for this but I
am unable to find a solution Googling.

Old May 19th 12, 05:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

R. H. Breener Jr. wrote:
[...]

Shut the PC off prematurely? You told me not to? When? I have no idea
what
you're talking about.

The diagnostic disk/boot disk found nothing.

Old May 19th 12, 05:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
"R. H. Breener Jr." wrote in message

I'm having boot problems with Vista 32-bit after doing two
system-recoveries. They were done after a MS update really screwed up my
PC and a system-restore didn't help. It takes 2 to 3 tries before the OS
loads. I get a blue screen with choices such as to select F11 but when
this blue screen appears the mouse and keyboard do not work so I cannot
select anything. I have to keep shutting the PC off and turning it back
on. After several turn-offs and turn-ons the OS finally loads. I no
longer hear what was explained to me as the POST. Once the OS loads, the
PC runs fine. Nothing new was added to this PC before the problematic MS
updates.

What do you mean by "really screwed up" and "system recovery" ?

After those updates the PC was very slow. MozillaFireFox constantly froze
between tabs. Then the OS stopped loading and I'd get the blue screen which
couldn't be used as the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. I would have to
shut the PC down and restart it several times before the OS would load. So
I did a system-restore twice, going back before the updates. That did
nothing so I did a system-recovery, which did nothing and so did a second
system-recovery. The other problems were cured but the OS still will not
load unless the PC is turned on and off several times. I get the Bluescreen
and the the HD light doesn't stay on after it checks the DVD and CD drives.
There are no POST sounds anymore.

And what, exactly, does the blue screen say? Not all the hex numbers, but
somewhere in there there is often a line or two of text which says
something about the failure.

I'm afraid to turn it off to get that information as it may not load again.
There are 3 choices on the Blue window such as F11 system-Restore, F
something else etc. Once a screen came up for a N Vidia error before the
Bluescreen. Rolling the updated v Vidia driver back to the earlier driver
got rid of that error.

This is the error I'm getting now, after the system-recovery and if the
Blue screen doesn't appear:

MediaSheild Rom Bios9.83 N Vidia Corp
Detecting arrays

Do you actually have a disk array? Or arrays? If so, how are they setup
(which RAID level) and how big?

I have no idea what a "disk array" is. This started after the MS update -
see above.

That screen will sit there forever as does the Blue screen until I reboot
the PC.

If I need new N Vidia drivers, how do I know which ones are needed? I now
have version 187.80 but have no idea what to replace it with if that's
the problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=105976 is what I found by
Googling but it goes so far over my head as to be useless.

Why do you think this applies to your machine? This applies to machines
with two terabyte or larger disk arrays.

Just as well as I didn't understand most of it.

Old May 19th 12, 04:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"Bill Leary" wrote in message
What do you mean by "really screwed up" and "system recovery" ?

After those updates the PC was very slow. MozillaFireFox constantly froze
between tabs. Then the OS stopped loading and I'd get the blue screen
which
couldn't be used as the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work. I would have
to shut the PC down and restart it several times before the OS would load.
So I did a system-restore twice, going back before the updates. That did
nothing so I did a system-recovery, which did nothing and so did a second
system-recovery. The other problems were cured but the OS still will not
load unless the PC is turned on and off several times. I get the
Bluescreen and the the HD light doesn't stay on after it checks the DVD
and CD drives. There are no POST sounds anymore.

Sounds like it's somehow been switched into fast boot mode and perhaps
optimized performance mode as well. This might explain the required
multiple starts. If things don't happen to time out just right, it gets
stuck. But in normal boot and performance mode the timing is more generous.

And what, exactly, does the blue screen say? Not all the hex numbers,
but somewhere in there there is often a line or two of text which says
something about the failure.

I'm afraid to turn it off to get that information as it may not load
again. There are 3 choices on the Blue window such as F11 system-Restore,
F something else etc. Once a screen came up for a N Vidia error before
the Bluescreen. Rolling the updated v Vidia driver back to the earlier
driver got rid of that error.

One assumes you'll have to turn it off sometime. When you do, please note
the blue screen particulars. Or, if you can take clear picture of it, do so
and send it to me. The address here is my actual email address.

Do you actually have a disk array? Or arrays? If so, how are they setup
(which RAID level) and how big?

I have no idea what a "disk array" is. This started after the MS update -
see above.

Then unless someone else set up the machine for you, you probably don't have
one. Click the start button, open "Computer" and tell me what you see.

Also, just what is this machine? Manufacturer, model number, and so forth.
Best to get it off the data plate on the back. Might be in other places.
I've seen it on the side, near the back, on some Gateway's for example.

- Bill

Old May 20th 12, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.

news
"Bill Leary" wrote in message
[...]

How do I change it back to "normal mode?" Where would I find that choice?
No one but myself uses this PC so I know no one messed that up.

And what, exactly, does the blue screen say? Not all the hex numbers,
but somewhere in there there is often a line or two of text which says
something about the failure.

I'm afraid to turn it off to get that information as it may not load
again. There are 3 choices on the Blue window such as F11 system-Restore,
F something else etc. Once a screen came up for a N Vidia error before
the Bluescreen. Rolling the updated v Vidia driver back to the earlier
driver got rid of that error.

One assumes you'll have to turn it off sometime. When you do, please note
the blue screen particulars. Or, if you can take clear picture of it, do
so and send it to me. The address here is my actual email address.

OK. I'll shut it down tonight and see if I can take a pic of the blue
screen. I have to be out of town for almost a week but will have the laptop
with me. Better yet, I'll shut this one down after I send this post and see
if that Blue screen comes up. Sometimes it's just a black window with a
blinking - at the upper left hand corner. No text, nothing else.

Do you actually have a disk array? Or arrays? If so, how are they
setup (which RAID level) and how big?

I have no idea what a "disk array" is. This started after the MS
update - see above.

Then unless someone else set up the machine for you, you probably don't
have one. Click the start button, open "Computer" and tell me what you
see.

I see the usual tree on the left side and on the right is listed the three
things: HP (C and under that Factory_Image (D and under that FreeAgent
(K all say "local disk. Under those are listed the different devices and
removable storage including the DVD drive (E and four others.

Also, just what is this machine? Manufacturer, model number, and so
forth. Best to get it off the data plate on the back. Might be in other
places. I've seen it on the side, near the back, on some Gateway's for
example.

- Bill

It's a Hewlet Packard Vista 32-bit, Pavilion Home Premium, a6333w. Graphics
by N Vidia. Do you need any other information? That's all I found on the
case.

I already ran the boot disk and did all the tests it showed, but nothing was
found. Check Disk didn't find anything and nothing was wrong with the
hardware. Could the copy of the OS on the D partition be somehow corrupt?
I'm at a real loss here.

Old May 20th 12, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener Jr.