Internet Explorer has stopped working correctly

Old September 14th 12, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Default Internet Explorer has stopped working correctly

Because my browser froze while windows was loading, I wound up doing a
System Restore with an undo, since Internet Explorer, Health & Support
and my Weather Bug Desktop stopped working correctly, due to a problem.

How do I know what kind of a problem and how to fix it?
So far I was always able to do it, but this one is beyond.

Apparently System restore caused my current situation.

I am on dial-up and was downloading and installing Avira and AVG in
addition to running Avast, which kept asking me to 'upgrade', when my
browser froze afterwards. While one program was running, the other two
were disabled, the reason being for me to choose between them.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit & IE9 w. SP2.
PC: Dell Inspiron 530S.
There are no problems with free space or memory.

Any suggestions?

Harry.

Old September 14th 12, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:21:15 -0400, webster72n wrote:

Because my browser froze while windows was loading, I wound up doing a
System Restore with an undo, since Internet Explorer, Health & Support
and my Weather Bug Desktop stopped working correctly, due to a problem.

How do I know what kind of a problem and how to fix it?
So far I was always able to do it, but this one is beyond.

Apparently System restore caused my current situation.

I am on dial-up and was downloading and installing Avira and AVG in
addition to running Avast, which kept asking me to 'upgrade', when my
browser froze afterwards. While one program was running, the other two
were disabled, the reason being for me to choose between them.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit & IE9 w. SP2.
PC: Dell Inspiron 530S.
There are no problems with free space or memory.

Any suggestions?

Harry.

These popped into my mind instantly...

If you are running several of these AV programs at once, that might be
causing the lockups. Uninstall or at least disable all but one. These
programs each look at files that you are accessing; if two or three
programs are competing with each other in this process, you lose...

You might also consider going back one or two restores further than what
you already did.

I'm not sure that you can download IE to a thumb drive, but if you can,
then do that on another computer and then (re)install IE on your
computer from the thumb drive.

Otherwise, install another browser on your computer so you can download
and reinstall IE. You might need to use another computer to do this with
a thumb drive, but other browsers should work this way.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 14th 12, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "webster72n"

[...]

Pick ONE and ONLY one Harry.

It is contraindicated to have more than one fully installed antio virus
application installed performing both "On Demand" and "On Access" scanning.
You can have one fully installed antio virus application installed
performing both "On Demand" and "On Access" and multiple other "On Demand"
scanners.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old September 15th 12, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

I disabled the other two and ran only one at a time.

You might also consider going back one or two restores further than what
you already did.

That is worth a try.

I'm not sure that you can download IE to a thumb drive, but if you can,
then do that on another computer and then (re)install IE on your
computer from the thumb drive.

Otherwise, install another browser on your computer so you can download
and reinstall IE. You might need to use another computer to do this with
a thumb drive, but other browsers should work this way.

Believe it or not, I do have Opera, Firefox and Chrome installed and
they all work. Therefore I will give your suggestion a try in the hope
that it will fix the problem with IE. The instances of a locked IE are
more plentiful than I mentioned.
If nothing works I will have to start from scratch, which I tried to avoid.

Thanks for your help, Gene.

Harry.

Old September 15th 12, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 20:41:05 -0400, webster72n wrote:

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

Good luck!

Sorry I don't know any more than what I wrote before.

And have a nice weekend, if the above problem doesn't spook you out of
it...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 17th 12, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rajath N[_2_]

Hi Harry,

You can also try resetting the Internet Explorer that may fix the issue.
To reset the Internet Explorer, please visit the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Internet Explorer can be reset automatically by clicking on the
“Microsoft Fix it” button or follow the steps provided on
the web site.

I hope this helps. Please reply to this message if you need further
information or assistance.

Old September 18th 12, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bob F[_3_]

webster72n wrote:
Because my browser froze while windows was loading, I wound up doing a
System Restore with an undo, since Internet Explorer, Health & Support
and my Weather Bug Desktop stopped working correctly, due to a
problem.
How do I know what kind of a problem and how to fix it?
So far I was always able to do it, but this one is beyond.

Apparently System restore caused my current situation.

I am on dial-up and was downloading and installing Avira and AVG in
addition to running Avast, which kept asking me to 'upgrade', when my
browser froze afterwards. While one program was running, the other two
were disabled, the reason being for me to choose between them.

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit & IE9 w. SP2.
PC: Dell Inspiron 530S.
There are no problems with free space or memory.

Any suggestions?

It could be worth doing a vista "repair install". This has helped me with
similar problems on XP PC's.

Old September 19th 12, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Rajath N wrote:
Hi Harry,

You can also try resetting the Internet Explorer that may fix the issue.
To reset the Internet Explorer, please visit the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Internet Explorer can be reset automatically by clicking on the
“Microsoft Fix it” button or follow the steps provided on
the web site.

I hope this helps. Please reply to this message if you need further
information or assistance.

It wasn't just IE which stopped working, there were several programs
besides, i.e. Windows Sidebar, Google Desktop and some other
applications. They all stopped running in Startup, because it was
'overloaded', as I was informed while working in 'Safe Mode'.
I used to check it every so often, but not lately.
Now I am able to find a solution to my problem.
Anything being presented here is helpful to me, thank you very much.

Harry.

Old September 19th 12, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Rajath N wrote:
Hi Harry,

You can also try resetting the Internet Explorer that may fix the issue.
To reset the Internet Explorer, please visit the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Internet Explorer can be reset automatically by clicking on the
“Microsoft Fix it” button or follow the steps provided on
the web site.

I hope this helps. Please reply to this message if you need further
information or assistance.

It wasn't IE alone, to stop working, but I will keep this suggestion for
further consideration. My Startup was 'overloaded'.
When I did a Restore, I was informed about it. Usually I checked my
Startup situation periodically, but haven't done so lately.
Knowing the cause, the route to a fix is clear.
It didn't have anything to do with my Antivirus applications either.

Harry.

Old September 21st 12, 11:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rajath N[_3_]

Hi Harry,

Thank you for considering my suggestion. Please reply if you need
further information or assistance.