Access denied

Old September 22nd 12, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

Default Access denied

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:22:08 -0400, webster72n wrote:

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:57:30 -0400, webster72n wrote:

Pleading guilty for not revealing my use of the 'Command Prompt' in this
operation and I don't seem to be able to 'Find' the log file with the
'StartRun' option either.
If the logfile does not have a location, I am not surprised to be denied
access. After I bought my present machine, I found out that someone else
had access to it, but it was too late to do anything about that, meaning
that someone else was an 'Administrator'.
The Belarc Advisor clearly shows it.
Eventually I will get to the bottom of it.

I cannot interpret the meaning of what you wrote.

Since in your OP you wrote the path to the log file, I cannot figure out
why you say you don't know where it is.

You don't need the command prompt to do what I have told you twice to
do.

Your question in your OP was "How do I gain access?". I have told you.
Do what I said.

My OP was quite clear in the first place, I thought, no need to plead
guilty at all: I was doing an 'sfc scannow' under Command Prompt in
Administrator mode. When the scan finished it showed me the command
C:\Windows\Log\CBS\CBS.log to open the log file which registered the
findings of the scan. Upon entering that command I was denied access.
Why was that and is there another way to access this particular log
file, that's what I wanted to know.
Sorry about the misunderstandings.

Harry.

C:\Windows\Log\CBS\CBS.log is not a command, it's a file name. However,
you *did* misspell the path. The second level is Logs, not Log. You can
open a file at the command prompt by typing its name, but unless you
have access to the file, that won't work. The way those things work, you
have to go from the outside, as I have explained to you a couple of
times. There are other methods, but they are more tangled, and anyway,
one way that works ought to be enough for you (or me).

For the thousandth time, do what I told you to do.

I think I have gained some insight into your bizarre remark
"If the logfile does not have a location, I am not surprised to be
denied access."

I did *not* say "the logfile does not have a location", I said this:
"the logfile is not a location".

It *has* a location, namely "C:\Windows\Log\CBS", which is a folder.

Try to follow these two analogies:

1. A copy of Ulysses is on shelf 12 of the library.

2. My car is in my driveway.

Can you see that Ulysses is not a location, but a document (like a
file)? It does have a location, namely shelf 12 of the library.

Similarly, my car is not a location, it is a document (like a file - OK,
that *is* a stretch, and I *don't* mean that I have a stretch limo). It
does have a location, namely my driveway.

One more thing. The reason you can't open the logfile is not a question
of whether it is a location(!), it is a question of what its permissions
are. Permissions are part of the information that Windows buries where
you can't see it, somewhere in the directory entry that describes the
file. Permissions determine who can and can't look at the file.

I don't want to hear from you any more unless you do what I described,
more than once, in order to access the file, and then you can tell me
what happened. But you haven't shown a great willingness to follow
instructions or suggestions, so I am quite pessimistic.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 24th 12, 03:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

Try I did, but to no avail, because besides other programs or utilities
stopped working correctly, Notepad doesn't show up in Start Search, in
other words I cannot access it either.
Have been doing everything possible to 'follow your instructions'.
Where Microsoft is concerned, my system is 'disabled'.
What keeps me in business here are Fire Fox, Opera and Google Chrome.
Sorry you feel the way you do.

Harry.

Old September 24th 12, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you made the effort, and I'm sorry your system is being so
nasty to you.

Here's where NotePad is - you can go there and double-click it to see if
it works:
%windir%\system32\notepad.exe

Which is Microsoftian for this: C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe

Have you tried my instructions on another *healthy* system just as an
experiment? Perhaps there is something that I didn't make clear (I don't
really believe that, but you know, I might be wrong!), and trying it on
a computer that works might help you get clear on what I wrote, or give
you ammunition to make me clarify it.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 24th 12, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:04:40 -0400, webster72n wrote:

When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode,
I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files.

My question: How do I gain access?

Harry.

You said in a reply below,
"Sorry you feel the way you do".

OK, *assuming* that you're not a troll, I have some serious - and
constructive - advice based on this thread.

This venue is a totally unsatisfactory way to help you.

You need to find someone knowledgeable in Windows who can sit with you
while you mess with your problems. You'd be up and running an less that
10 minutes, in my estimation.

First, this person - call him or her Mentor - could see what you are
doing, and most importantly, what you are forgetting to say and what you
mean by what you do say. Also, by seeing how you carry out instructions,
Mentor would instantly know what you misunderstood or misinterpreted.

Secondly, the feedback from Mentor would be instantaneous, instead of
delayed by a couple of days.

Thirdly, Mentor could teach you how to describe what you are
experiencing, and show you directly how to do the things that I have
described unsuccessfully - and Mentor would see immediately when what
you do is not what was described to you.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 25th 12, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:04:40 -0400, webster72n wrote:

When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode,
I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files.

My question: How do I gain access?

Harry.

Try opening your text editor in Administrator mode (by right clicking on
its icon or on the executable) and opening the log file in the editor's
open-file dialog.

That usually works for me (I am using Notepad++).

Trouble is it doesn't work for me, Gene.
In the open-file dialog it tells me that it cannot find the file,
specifically "C:\ Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (w.o. the quotation marks).

I am going to let it rest for a while.
Then I decide what I want to do next.
Don't need a 'mentor', but in all probability an expert who can help me
with this. According to the error message my Windows Installer isn't
installed correctly and I am to contact Support Personnel for assistance.
Meanwhile FF is doing a splendid job.

Thanks again for your extensive help.

Harry.

Old September 25th 12, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nil[_3_]

On 24 Sep 2012, webster72n wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

Trouble is it doesn't work for me, Gene.
In the open-file dialog it tells me that it cannot find the file,
specifically "C:\ Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (w.o. the quotation
marks).

Of course it won't find that file. That location does not exist. There
is no folder called "C:\ Windows" - notice that there is a spurious
space character before the W.

Then I decide what I want to do next.
Don't need a 'mentor', but in all probability an expert who can
help me with this.

You need someone to sit at your computer and fix it. I don't think an
internet newsgroup is the right venue for you.
Old September 25th 12, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 23:03:39 -0400, Nil wrote:

On 24 Sep 2012, webster72n wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

Trouble is it doesn't work for me, Gene.
In the open-file dialog it tells me that it cannot find the file,
specifically "C:\ Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (w.o. the quotation
marks).

Of course it won't find that file. That location does not exist. There
is no folder called "C:\ Windows" - notice that there is a spurious
space character before the W.

:-)

Grazie. You saved me the trouble of pointing that out.

I wonder if webster72n has turned off the displayh of hiddeen filies and
the display of system files. And if so, would that make theminvisivble
to NOtePAd?

OK, I tried it. The answer is twofold:

1. Either way, when I go to Windows\Logs, CBS.log is not visible in the
NotePad Open dialog's file pane.

2. If I then type the name CBS.log (or cbs.log) in that dialog's
Filename line, NotePad opens it even though it was not visible in the
file pane.

Then I decide what I want to do next.
Don't need a 'mentor', but in all probability an expert who can
help me with this.

You need someone to sit at your computer and fix it. I don't think an
internet newsgroup is the right venue for you.

Thanks for the support, Nil.

I'd like to add that, in this context, I don't see a difference between
an assistant to whom I gave the nickname "Mentor" and an expert who can
"help me with this", or, for that matter, any difference between a
mentor and an expert who can "help me with this". webster72n is just
playing some sort of semantic game...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 25th 12, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

Support? For what?
By now I have come to the realization that this was the wrong place to
seek help for my problem. Please, accept my apologies.
Thank you for trying.

Harry.

Old September 25th 12, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nil[_3_]

On 25 Sep 2012, "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

I'd like to add that, in this context, I don't see a difference
between an assistant to whom I gave the nickname "Mentor" and an
expert who can "help me with this", or, for that matter, any
difference between a mentor and an expert who can "help me with
this". webster72n is just playing some sort of semantic game...

I think he's just very confused and in over his head and doesn't want
to admit it.

Old September 25th 12, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:28:17 -0400, Nil wrote:

On 25 Sep 2012, "Gene E. Bloch" wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

I'd like to add that, in this context, I don't see a difference
between an assistant to whom I gave the nickname "Mentor" and an
expert who can "help me with this", or, for that matter, any
difference between a mentor and an expert who can "help me with
this". webster72n is just playing some sort of semantic game...

I think he's just very confused and in over his head and doesn't want
to admit it.

Seems to be than true...

Did you see his response to the part of my post thanking you for your
support?

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)