Access denied

Old September 16th 12, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Default Access denied

When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode,
I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files.

My question: How do I gain access?

Harry.
Old September 17th 12, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:04:40 -0400, webster72n wrote:

When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode,
I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files.

My question: How do I gain access?

Harry.

Try opening your text editor in Administrator mode (by right clicking on
its icon or on the executable) and opening the log file in the editor's
open-file dialog.

That usually works for me (I am using Notepad++).

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 19th 12, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:04:40 -0400, webster72n wrote:

When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode,
I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files.

My question: How do I gain access?

Harry.

Try opening your text editor in Administrator mode (by right clicking on
its icon or on the executable) and opening the log file in the editor's
open-file dialog.

That usually works for me (I am using Notepad++).

Found an 'edit' link, but that didn't lead me to the desired location
you mention. What am I missing?

Harry.

Old September 20th 12, 03:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:56:42 -0400, webster72n wrote:

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:04:40 -0400, webster72n wrote:

When using the command prompt 'sfc scannow' in administrator mode,
I get 'Access denied' after trying to open the log file command
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
in order to find the name of the corrupted or lost system files.

My question: How do I gain access?

Harry.

Try opening your text editor in Administrator mode (by right clicking on
its icon or on the executable) and opening the log file in the editor's
open-file dialog.

That usually works for me (I am using Notepad++).

Found an 'edit' link, but that didn't lead me to the desired location
you mention. What am I missing?

Harry.

You are missing my instructions, apparently.

For one thing, I didn't mention any location, desired or otherwise.

Let's try again:

Find the shortcut to your text editor or find the executable file of
your text editor. That can be as easy as typing your text editor's name
in the Start menu's search bar. A shortcut to it will appear in the
window above that, and you can right click on that.

Then a menu will appear. Choose "Run as administrator". Say yes to the
question about letting it make changes.

Now see if you can open and edit your file.

If you can't follow that, try to get someone else to help you. They
might describe in a way that works better for you.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 20th 12, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

Sorry you are getting annoyed with me.
To my understanding the log file would be the desired location.
Otherwise there are problems with certain applications which have
stopped running, and I am trying tirelessly to correct that situation.
Nevertheless your contribution is helpful to me.
And I thank you for that.

Harry.

Old September 21st 12, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

What might be the missing link in the above is this: I am assuming you
know where the log file is and are trying to edit it by double-clicking
on it or by using the right-click menu on it, and when you do that, you
find that access is denied. Your original post is not 100% clear, but
that's how I read it.

What I am saying is to *open the text editor* in *Run as administrator*
mode and then use the file-open dialog *within that editor* to open the
logfile. Use any text editor that you like, such as NotePad, or the one
I mentioned that I use, and follow my instructions on how to open it in
that mode.

The logfile is not what anyone would usually call a location; its
*folder* is a location in standard terminology. The logfile is (wait for
it...) a file.

If that's still not what you mean, then you need someone who understands
you better than I do.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 21st 12, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:21:32 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

and follow my instructions on how to open it in that mode

I mean how to open (which means the same as "start" or "run") the *text
editor* in that mode (Run as administrator).

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 21st 12, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

Pleading guilty for not revealing my use of the 'Command Prompt' in this
operation and I don't seem to be able to 'Find' the log file with the
'StartRun' option either.
If the logfile does not have a location, I am not surprised to be denied
access. After I bought my present machine, I found out that someone else
had access to it, but it was too late to do anything about that, meaning
that someone else was an 'Administrator'.
The Belarc Advisor clearly shows it.
Eventually I will get to the bottom of it.

Harry.

Old September 21st 12, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:57:30 -0400, webster72n wrote:

Pleading guilty for not revealing my use of the 'Command Prompt' in this
operation and I don't seem to be able to 'Find' the log file with the
'StartRun' option either.
If the logfile does not have a location, I am not surprised to be denied
access. After I bought my present machine, I found out that someone else
had access to it, but it was too late to do anything about that, meaning
that someone else was an 'Administrator'.
The Belarc Advisor clearly shows it.
Eventually I will get to the bottom of it.

I cannot interpret the meaning of what you wrote.

Since in your OP you wrote the path to the log file, I cannot figure out
why you say you don't know where it is.

You don't need the command prompt to do what I have told you twice to
do.

Your question in your OP was "How do I gain access?". I have told you.
Do what I said.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 22nd 12, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

My OP was quite clear in the first place, I thought, no need to plead
guilty at all: I was doing an 'sfc scannow' under Command Prompt in
Administrator mode. When the scan finished it showed me the command
C:\Windows\Log\CBS\CBS.log to open the log file which registered the
findings of the scan. Upon entering that command I was denied access.
Why was that and is there another way to access this particular log
file, that's what I wanted to know.
Sorry about the misunderstandings.

Harry.