Booting Vista Home Premium

Old December 28th 12, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
species8350

Default Booting Vista Home Premium

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:03:11 AM UTC, MLD wrote:
"species8350" wrote in message

Hi,

I can't boot Vista Home Premium. According to the diagnostics there is no

problem. But all I get is a black screen and no messages. When I try to

boot into any other mode, for example Safe Mode, I get the same black

screen.

This machine has only 512MB of RAM, is this the reason Vista will not

boot?

If not any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Ps. I have tried using the original installation disk for repairs, but

again there appears to be no problem.

This may sound stupid--Is your monitor turned on? Is it plugged in and/or

connected to a working outlet?

Friend called a few days ago with the same problem--black

screen---Apparently, while cleaning around the top of the desk, must have

Inadvertently pushed the monitor off/on button.

MLD

The monitor is on.
Old December 28th 12, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
species8350

"MLD" schreef in bericht

[...]

.....do you have electricity where you live?

Yes
Old December 28th 12, 05:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
MLD

"Joh. Roest von Klinckerhofen" wrote in message

"MLD" schreef in bericht

[...]

Don't leave me hanging---What is your point?--
If the answeer is yes, then what. If the answer is no, then what?
MLD

Old December 28th 12, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 05:39:19 -0800 (PST), species8350 wrote:

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:44:12 PM UTC, Bill Leary wrote:
"species8350" wrote in message

I can't boot Vista Home Premium. According to the diagnostics there is no

problem. But all I get is a black screen and no messages. When I try to

boot

into any other mode, for example Safe Mode, I get the same black screen.

This machine has only 512MB of RAM, is this the reason Vista will not

boot?

Did it used to boot with 512M? Some of what you say sounds like an old

installation has stopped working but this question sounds like a new

installation that's never worked.

What do you see before the black screen? Apparently you're at least getting

to where you can tell it to select safe mode over normal mode for boot.

What happens between that selection and the black screen? Does hard disk

activity continue after the screen goes black?

- Bill

Thanks for responding.

I had a problem with the hardware and needed to remove a memory module.

Vista used to work with 1GB of RAM. I have never got it to boot with 512MB, but I think that it ought to function, although slowly.

When I boot from the hard disk I get the loading logo, I can't really describe it well - repeated green bars that repeat horizontally. After these bars appeared Vista used to load (with 1 GB of RAM). But now I just get a black screen

It is almost as if the boot loader is not working.

Happy Christmas.

(Boy, your newsreader sure messes with line formats!)

Many kinds of motherboards need their RAM sticks to be installed in
pairs, and on some motherboards that don't require that, if only one
slot of a pair has RAM, it must be a specific slot, e.g., slot 1, not
slot 2 - or vice versa.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old December 29th 12, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bob F[_3_]

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
[...]

The obvious solution to me is to replace the missing RAM.