Folder problem

Old February 14th 13, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Larronn

Default Folder problem

Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Premium and I have a folder problem.

I cannot open folders with photos on the desktop. When I double-click on a
folder to open it, I get the message 'Application not found'. But when I
right-click on this folder, I can open it with 'Open' or 'Explore'. I have
also noticed that when I right-click on this folder, 'Compress files' is
bold but 'Open' and 'Explore' are not bold. I have no problems with folders
that contain Word documents.

I have not removed any photo programs. It just happened out of the blue a
few weeks ago. It may be a virus problem that has changed a registry
setting.

Could anyone help me please? Thanks!

John

Old February 14th 13, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:42:09 -0000, John Larronn wrote:

Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Premium and I have a folder problem.

I cannot open folders with photos on the desktop. When I double-click on a
folder to open it, I get the message 'Application not found'. But when I
right-click on this folder, I can open it with 'Open' or 'Explore'. I have
also noticed that when I right-click on this folder, 'Compress files' is
bold but 'Open' and 'Explore' are not bold. I have no problems with folders
that contain Word documents.

I have not removed any photo programs. It just happened out of the blue a
few weeks ago. It may be a virus problem that has changed a registry
setting.

Could anyone help me please? Thanks!

John

It might be as simple as fixing the file association.

Go to such a folder, right click on a file, and when you choose a
viewer, make sure "Always use this application to open this file type"
(or similar wording).

Assuming I read your description correctly...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old February 15th 13, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:56:52 -0800, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

[...]

Also assuming that I typed my response correctly - but I didn't :-)

I meant
"Make sure (stuff)" *is checked*.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old February 15th 13, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Larronn

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated!

I have tried this, I have tried a few programs but they didn't work.

It is very strange.

When I create a new folder on the desktop and I double-click on it (this
folder is empty), I get the error massage 'Application not found'. But when
I create a copy of this new folder by holding down the Ctrl key and I
double-click on it (this folder is also empty), then I can open the folder
in a normal way.

But when I create a copy of a folder with photos and I double-click on this
folder with photos, then I get the message 'Application not found'.

So the problem is not - as far as I can see - that the folder is opened with
the wrong program, but it is something much more complicated.

John

Old February 15th 13, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "John Larronn"

Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Premium and I have a folder problem.

I cannot open folders with photos on the desktop. When I double-click on a
folder to open it, I get the message 'Application not found'. But when I
right-click on this folder, I can open it with 'Open' or 'Explore'. I have
also noticed that when I right-click on this folder, 'Compress files' is
bold but 'Open' and 'Explore' are not bold. I have no problems with
folders that contain Word documents.

I have not removed any photo programs. It just happened out of the blue a
few weeks ago. It may be a virus problem that has changed a registry
setting.

Could anyone help me please? Thanks!

Perform a restoration from a System Restore point that was created prior to
when this problem first occured.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old February 15th 13, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Larronn

From: "John Larronn"

Hi,

[...]

Thanks for your advice, but I have tried this a few times. But each time the
System Restore fails to do its job.

John

Old February 15th 13, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 01:12:43 -0000, John Larronn wrote:

[...]

I can't decode what you are saying here.

"I create a copy of this new folder by holding down the Ctrl key" ????

If I hold control and double-click a folder, nothing happens. No - the
second time I tried, it opened just like if I double-clicked without
Ctrl. Same with Shift, but not Alt...

But when I create a copy of a folder with photos and I double-click on this
folder with photos, then I get the message 'Application not found'.

Empty or full of photos, no change...

So the problem is not - as far as I can see - that the folder is opened with
the wrong program, but it is something much more complicated.

John

It kind of sounds like Windows doesn't associate to Explorer.

I imagine that's in the Registry, but I have no idea where.

So I suggest you follow David Lipman's advice in his reply,

Sorry I can't do better.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old February 15th 13, 02:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

From: "John Larronn"

Hi,

[...]

Clarify please. Do you mean System Restore says it failed to restore
your system, or do you mean it doesn't fix the problem?

If the former, do you run Norton Antivirus or System Protection (or
whatever they call it)?

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old February 15th 13, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Larronn

From: "John Larronn"

Hi,

[...]

It says System Restore failed to restore the system.

No, I do not run Norton Antivirus, but you mentioning System Protection -
Windows Defender - is a very good tip indeed, thanks! This may well be the
reason why System Restore fails to work.

So I turned off Windows Defender and opened System Restore, but
unfortunately the oldest restore point is only two weeks old. And the
problem started just before Christmas.

But that's a good tip, I'll remember in the future to rurn off Windows
Defender before using System Restore.

John

Old February 15th 13, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Larronn

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

John