disk thrashing in Vista - why

Old May 26th 13, 09:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
BW[_4_]

Default disk thrashing in Vista - why

I got a used PC with Vista 32-bit. For 5 minutes after Windows
starts, the disk is going 90 to the dozen.
I have others with Windows XP and Windows 7 that settle down quickly.
I checked what startup programs are run with Hijack This, and there is
sweet FA. It is pretty much a bare-bones installation, althought it
has all updates applied.
So what is Vista doing with the disk?

Hardware is Core 2 Duo 3 GHz with 4 GiB of DDR2-667 and disk is SATA
300.
Old May 26th 13, 11:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Bill Leary

"BW" wrote in message
I got a used PC with Vista 32-bit. For 5 minutes after Windows
starts, the disk is going 90 to the dozen.

There's an expression I haven't heard in a long time.

I recall wondering about this on my own Vista machine. I too have XP
Professional and Windows 7 machines and have seen similar, though I don't
recall it taking five minutes to settle. It's been a couple of years now,
and I don't recall exactly what it was that was doing it. I do recall
deciding it being something that was OK. It also goes into periods (a
minute or two) of rather high activity once in a while, but I think I
tracked that one down to indexing running.

I have others with Windows XP and Windows 7 that settle
down quickly. I checked what startup programs are run with
Hijack This, and there is sweet FA.

What does "...and there is sweet FA." mean?

It is pretty much a bare-bones installation, althought it
has all updates applied.
So what is Vista doing with the disk?

Start up Task Manager, open the Performance tab and bring up Resource
Monitor. Expand the Disk section and try sorting by Read (B/min) and Write
(B/min) until you find out which one is doing all the disk operations. Look
at both Image and File to see what's being messed with.

Old May 27th 13, 03:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul[_2_]

BW wrote:
I got a used PC with Vista 32-bit. For 5 minutes after Windows
starts, the disk is going 90 to the dozen.
I have others with Windows XP and Windows 7 that settle down quickly.
I checked what startup programs are run with Hijack This, and there is
sweet FA. It is pretty much a bare-bones installation, althought it
has all updates applied.
So what is Vista doing with the disk?

Hardware is Core 2 Duo 3 GHz with 4 GiB of DDR2-667 and disk is SATA
300.

You can also use Autoruns, to get information on all sorts of
things that could run at startup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902

Paul