Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

SMTP port

Old November 19th 13, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Joe[_25_]

Default SMTP port

My default setting for my SMTP port was 25. Several days ago, I found that
about half my emails wouldn't go beyond the Outbox- but if I tried to send
it from there, it would usually go out.

I contacted my server, Time-Warner and they suggested changing it to 587. I
think because I send so many emails, many of which are cc'd to many people,
their spam checker "thought" I might be spamming. A local computer tech guy
had suggested calling Time-Warner and said there might be a different port
that would work.

And it does! So, I'm going to back off so many emails (none of which was/is
spam).

Anybody know any more about this issue? I think I read somewhere that port
587 isn't even checked by most server anti spam programs and the server will
allow it if they think the user is not a spammer.

Joe

Old November 19th 13, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

"Joe" wrote in message
My default setting for my SMTP port was 25. Several days ago, I found that
about half my emails wouldn't go beyond the Outbox- but if I tried to send
it from there, it would usually go out.

I contacted my server, Time-Warner and they suggested changing it to 587.
I think because I send so many emails, many of which are cc'd to many
people, their spam checker "thought" I might be spamming. A local computer
tech guy had suggested calling Time-Warner and said there might be a
different port that would work.

And it does! So, I'm going to back off so many emails (none of which
was/is spam).

Anybody know any more about this issue? I think I read somewhere that port
587 isn't even checked by most server anti spam programs and the server
will allow it if they think the user is not a spammer.

Joe

Most ISPs are getting away from port 25, and I don't know of any that use it
if you are at a wi-fi hotspot and not at your own home. There is nothing
that is not save about using port 587 vs 25.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP 2004 ~ 2010

Old November 19th 13, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Joe[_25_]

I'm curious why 587 works fine and 25 doesn't. Time-Warner said to use 587.
I don't use wi-fi, my router is hard wired to my 3 home networked computers.
Joe

Old November 19th 13, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Bruce Hagen[_2_]

"Joe" wrote in message
I'm curious why 587 works fine and 25 doesn't. Time-Warner said to use
587. I don't use wi-fi, my router is hard wired to my 3 home networked
computers.
Joe

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...-blocking.html

Other than that, you would have to ask TW.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP 2004 ~ 2010

Old November 23rd 13, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Joe[_25_]

It says, "To send email outside of the TWC Mail servers, you'll need to
reset your connections from port 25 to port 587."

I can read it but I don't understand it. So by using 587, it bypasses TWC
servers- whatever the heck that means.. if it doesn't use the TWC servers, I
don't understand what servers port 587 is using.

at this point, it's working, but it bothers me that this problem arose- I
really don't think I have any malware on my system- I'm very careful. I
think it's because I do a lot of email and many are cc'd to dozens of
people- I presume that looked suspicious...

and since it's all working, I shouldn't care why.... as of now I'm just
curious....