Expired cirtificate errors FireFox and IE (Vista 32 bit)

Old September 13th 14, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Expired cirtificate errors FireFox and IE (Vista 32 bit)

R. H. Breener wrote:

"VanguardLH" wrote in message

So start the web browser in its safe mode to make sure ALL add-ons are
disabled, not just the ones that IE will show you.

brevity snip

Thanks for that info.

I thought I'd let you know when I tried a System Restore which failed, I
then tried a System Recovery. When I clicked to do a System Recovery the
computer failed completely. It kept telling me the disks for the Vista PC
were not authenticated (or some such) for that system. How can that be when
they came from HP and the second set were made from THAT HP computer itself?
It wouldn't go into safe mode. It said no disks could be found. The boot
disk didn't work either with an error it wasn't authenticated for that
system. WTF? The PC is sitting here totally worthless and was hardly used.
How the hell do I get it to recognize the Recovery disks or the boot disk?

Some install CDs are BIOS locked. That means you have to use the
correct media to install on that hardware. The installer locks at the
firmware signature from the BIOS to see it the hardware is within a
family of products that the software will match. So you have to use the
install media that came with the computer. If you buy some oddball
"reinstallation" CD from, say, eBay then it might not work with the
hardware that you have. All those resinstallation discs are illegal but
eBay lets the sellers get away with selling them because eBay gets their
13% commission on the sale. Those discs are for reinstalls, not for new
installs which is what they're being sold for.

So was the first set of install CDs the ones that came with the
computer? Were the 2nd ones made using the procedure specified in the
terse owner's manual that came with the computer (probably on CD)?

"not authenticated (or some such)" covers every error every reported by
anyone for anything. It's like saying "I think it's this or something"
where the "something" covers everything else. If the authentication
problem is when trying to validate the installation by entering a
product key then it could be the product key on the COA sticker doesn't
match the product being installed. The COA sticker's product key is
unique to each pre-built computer; however, the product key in the image
the OEM'er slaps onto every host has the same volume key used to
pre-validate that image (you don't have to do validation when you get
the pre-built computer with pre-installed OS and software). A clear
report of what was the actual error message would help.

Did you get this computer as a pre-built? Was the OS pre-installed?
Was the installation media what came with the pre-built computer or did
you somehow get it separately?

Isn't there a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk? If so, you're
supposed to hit some special key on bootup that tells the BIOS to load
the recovery program from the hidden partition to restore the OS
partition back to its factory-time image. Did you delete that hidden
partition to make use of its disk space for your own use?
Old September 14th 14, 07:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener[_2_]

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

What was the OS and flavour ?

The OS is Vista 32 bit made by HP.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old September 14th 14, 07:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener[_2_]

R. H. Breener wrote:

[...]

These disks came from HP itself for the Vista 32-bit PC. The second set were
made on that computer when it was new. I never had a computer reject the
disks that it made itself or came from the company who made the PC. And I
never had one not boot with a boot disk.

So was the first set of install CDs the ones that came with the
computer? Were the 2nd ones made using the procedure specified in the
terse owner's manual that came with the computer (probably on CD)?

Yes, first set came with the PC. Second set was made on the PC.

"not authenticated (or some such)" covers every error every reported by
anyone for anything. It's like saying "I think it's this or something"
where the "something" covers everything else. If the authentication
problem is when trying to validate the installation by entering a
product key then it could be the product key on the COA sticker doesn't
match the product being installed.

Nothing comes up asking for the number.

The COA sticker's product key is
unique to each pre-built computer; however, the product key in the image
the OEM'er slaps onto every host has the same volume key used to
pre-validate that image (you don't have to do validation when you get
the pre-built computer with pre-installed OS and software). A clear
report of what was the actual error message would help.

Did you get this computer as a pre-built? Was the OS pre-installed?
Was the installation media what came with the pre-built computer or did
you somehow get it separately?

I bought it brand new from WalMart with the OS already installed. It ran
like a dream until one day it it started locking up and freezing. One
problem after another that a System Restore and System Recovery didn't help.
So I took it to a tech who claimed a memory stick was bad removed it, did a
System Recovery and it worked OK the few times I used it. Then the Browser
problem started and the other problems it had started again. I did a chkdsk
c: /f /r on it first and that seemed to help, but the problems quickly
returned. I don't believe this is a memory problem. Two sticks going bad on
a computer hardly used?

Isn't there a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk? If so, you're
supposed to hit some special key on bootup that tells the BIOS to load
the recovery program from the hidden partition to restore the OS
partition back to its factory-time image. Did you delete that hidden
partition to make use of its disk space for your own use?

No, it was still there. I didn't use the disks themselves until after D:
failed. D: has the Factory Image and the 1st thing I tried. After I tried
to do the System Recovery using D: , that's when the PC crashed, said System
Recovery failed and it never booted again. So I rounded up the Recovery
disks. The recovery disks and boot disk wouldn't work. I'm going to try
and reach that guy this week if I can. It kills me to crapcan a computer
that's essentially new, hardly used.

I don't know anything about the BIOS or making changes there. I may make the
situation worse. Honestly, I don't know what to do with it but would love
to get it working again. I never needed to enter the BIOS before to tell a
computer to do a System Recovery. A choice is given on a screen where you
use a block to move up or down using the arrow keys.

Old September 14th 14, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

HP doesn't make Windows.

Vista/32 branded by HP.

The vendor is not the flavour. Vista; Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium,
Business, Enterprise and Ultimate are flavours of the 32bit OS.

You need to contact HP. Most likely you'll have to buy a disk or a set of
disks.

Old September 22nd 14, 08:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener[_2_]

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

Home Premium. I think the computer is a goner. I called the tech, now back
at his regular job and no longer doing this on the side at home. He said he
added a second HD, a Seagate, and made the old drive the slave. That's why
he had to contact MS for a Reg number. He kind of lost me there. Why would
he need a new Reg # when he had the original disks, both sets? He felt
beside the memory stick being bad the original HD may have had problems
also. But the new Seagate drive had the same damn problems. He had me
remove the Seagate but that didn't make any difference. Then he had me
remove the orig' HD and that made no difference either. The boot disk for
the machine will not boot up either HD. Where does this leave me? What are
my options now?

Old September 22nd 14, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

The COA should be a sticker on the computer and thus you have a valid Vista
keycode. You don't need another, you need the platform related installation
disks.

Old September 25th 14, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener[_2_]

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

Where do I get those? The Vista Recovery disks for the computer came from
HP itself and one set was made from the computer. It has to be a valid key
code so why would he need to call MS? Why wont either HD boot with the
Recovery disks or the boot disk?

Googling the term "platform related installation
disks" brought up info I didn't understand.

Old September 25th 14, 11:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

You get it/them from HP.

You tell them you removed a bad hard disk and replaced it. You need to
re-install Vista on the PC so you will need the disks to do it.

You may have to pay a nominal fee for shipping and handling for the media.

Old October 14th 14, 05:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
R. H. Breener[_2_]

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

From: "R. H. Breener"

[...]

with the Recovery disks or the boot disk?

Googling the term "platform related installation
disks" brought up info I didn't understand.

You get it/them from HP.

You tell them you removed a bad hard disk and replaced it. You need to
re-install Vista on the PC so you will need the disks to do it.

You may have to pay a nominal fee for shipping and handling for the media.

These are special disks from HP? I take it they're not the same ones that
came with the PC? Not the recovery disks for Vista?