opaque white rectangle in lower corner of screen above taskbar

Old September 22nd 14, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Laurence Smith

Default opaque white rectangle in lower corner of screen above taskbar

For the past few months I have frequently found a solid white rectangle
that sits above the task bar in the lower right corner of my screen.

I can't determine what program or process is causing this and about the
only way to get rid of it is to reboot the PC.

Has anyone else experienced this and would anyone be able to hazard a
guess as to what may be causing this annoyance?

Clicking on it and right-clicking has absolutely no effect.

(I even had to post this message from my laptop since in Xananews the
OK and cancel buttons in the lower right are obliterated by the white
rectangle)

--
Larry Smith

Old September 23rd 14, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Laurence Smith"

For the past few months I have frequently found a solid white rectangle
that sits above the task bar in the lower right corner of my screen.

I can't determine what program or process is causing this and about the
only way to get rid of it is to reboot the PC.

Has anyone else experienced this and would anyone be able to hazard a
guess as to what may be causing this annoyance?

Clicking on it and right-clicking has absolutely no effect.

(I even had to post this message from my laptop since in Xananews the
OK and cancel buttons in the lower right are obliterated by the white
rectangle)

Run the Microsoft Sysinternal Process Explorer Command
\\live.sysinternals.com\DavWWWRoot\procexp.exe

In the toolbar you will see a black "target" icon or it can be described as
what looks like a fan.

When you mouse over it it will display "Find Windows' Process (drag over
window)"

That's what you do. You click on and drag that icon on tp of that "...solid
white rectangle that sits above the task bar in the lower right corner.."
and it will take you baqck to Process Explorer and will show you what
process is responsible for it.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old September 23rd 14, 11:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Laurence Smith

From: "Laurence Smith"

[...]

right corner.." and it will take you baqck to Process Explorer and
will show you what process is responsible for it.

Thanks for the tip.

About an hour after I posted the white rectangle disappeared almost
like it was a pop up whose time had expired.

The next time it shows up - and I am quite sure that will happen - I
will follow your advice and try to learn what process has caused it.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

--
Larry Smith
Old September 23rd 14, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Laurence Smith"

From: "Laurence Smith"

[...]

OK - Thanx for the update.

Old February 26th 15, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Laurence Smith

From: "Laurence Smith"

From: "Laurence Smith"

[...]

lower right corner.." and it will take you baqck to Process
Explorer and will show you what process is responsible for it.

Thanks for the tip.

About an hour after I posted the white rectangle disappeared almost
like it was a pop up whose time had expired.

The next time it shows up - and I am quite sure that will happen -
I will follow your advice and try to learn what process has caused
it.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

OK - Thanx for the update.

Well it took 5 months but the white opaque square showed up.
I ran the process explorer and dragged the icon over it.
It revealed that it was from the Video Accelerator.
I killed the process and away went the white square.
Victory.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

--
Larry Smith
Old February 27th 15, 12:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman