Onboard network controller does not show up in Device Manager

Old December 6th 15, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Springer[_2_]

Default Onboard network controller does not show up in Device Manager

Dell Vostro 1510, Vista Business 32 bit, fully updated.

The computer did not have a hard drive installed, so if there was a
recovery partition originally, it's not available to me.

Is there any way to test the controller when the computer evidently
doesn't know it's there?

In searching the web, one solution for this problem on a different
computer was to turn the controller on in the BIOS as someone had
evidently turned it off. I loaded the defaults for this computer, made
no difference.

Installed the driver for this computer hoping that would do it, no go.
Driver came from Dell's website, based on the service tag number.
Interestingly, the processor is "64 bit ready" but Dell installed the 32
bit version of Vista.

FWIW, before I discovered the original OS was 32 bit, I had installed
the 64 bit version, and the controller wasn't seen there either. Having
difficulties with other driver installs is how I discovered it was
originally 32 bit.

The computer will be donated to a social agency, and given to a single
mother w/ no computer.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 7th 15, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Ken Springer"

[...]

Go into the BIOS and make sure that the Realtek embedded NIC is enabled as
well as the wireless ( Broadcom/Dell or Intel )
If the hardware is disabled in the BIOS the OS will not see it and it won't
show up in Device Manager.

This is a platform designed for Win32 with a MAX RAM of 4GB ( PC2-6400 ).
While you may be able to get most hardware recognized in a latter 64bit OS,
you'll have to find 3rd parties that host the 64 bit drivers.

NOTE: The Vostro 1510 laptop should have BIOS version A10.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old December 8th 15, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Springer[_2_]

On 12/7/15 10:31 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Ken Springer"

[...]

The BIOS doesn't identify anything by name, and the only reference to a
LAN is enabled.

Wireless works fine.

If the hardware is disabled in the BIOS the OS will not see it and it won't
show up in Device Manager.

This is a platform designed for Win32 with a MAX RAM of 4GB ( PC2-6400 ).
While you may be able to get most hardware recognized in a latter 64bit OS,
you'll have to find 3rd parties that host the 64 bit drivers.

NOTE: The Vostro 1510 laptop should have BIOS version A10.

This one is A13.

No one replied here until you did, so I cross posted this message in the
7,8, and 10 groups. Got some replies and suggestions, none have worked.

I'm prepared to declare it dead. LOL

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 9th 15, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Ken Springer"

On 12/7/15 10:31 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Ken Springer"

[...]

It has ben my experience that most system BIOS; AMI, Phoenix, etc., have
some kind of sub-section such as "Onboard devices" where the devices can be
enabled, disabled or confugured. That inclues COM and LPT ports, audio,
Network ( NICS ), etc.

Old December 9th 15, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Springer[_2_]

From: "Ken Springer"

On 12/7/15 10:31 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Ken Springer"

[...]

There is an entry called "Onboard LAN Control" and it is enabled. That
was actually one of the first things I checked.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 9th 15, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Ken Springer"

From: "Ken Springer"

On 12/7/15 10:31 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Ken Springer"

[...]

Ok. Niw that is definitive. However it is unusual that a NIC that is
enabled does not show up in Device Manager.

With the computer "turned on"...
If you have an Cat5 Ethernet cable connected to a Router, HUB or E-Switch
and then you connect it to the embedded NIC's RJ45, do you have Link Lights
?

Old December 10th 15, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Springer[_2_]

From: "Ken Springer"

From: "Ken Springer"

On 12/7/15 10:31 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Ken Springer"

[...]

Unless it's inop, which is what I think. But my due diligence and
analness required me to ask.

With the computer "turned on"...
If you have an Cat5 Ethernet cable connected to a Router, HUB or E-Switch
and then you connect it to the embedded NIC's RJ45, do you have Link Lights
?

Nope. And I know the cable is good, just had another laptop plugged to
it a few days ago.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 10th 15, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Ken Springer"

With the computer "turned on"...
If you have an Cat5 Ethernet cable connected to a Router, HUB or E-Switch
and then you connect it to the embedded NIC's RJ45, do you have Link
Lights
?

Nope. And I know the cable is good, just had another laptop plugged to it
a few days ago.

That's a rare condition. It means a complete failure of the embedded NIC.
Not only does the OS not see it but the hardware isn't seen at the Physical
layer by external equipment.

Well you can still used the WiFi and you can use a USB v2.0 to Ethernet
adapter or a 54mm CardBus Ethernet adapter. If you can't find a 54mm
CardBus Ethernet adapter, you can use a 34mm CardBus Ethernet adapter with a
34mm to 54mm adapter/bracket.

Or...

You can junk it. I think its a Core Duo based system from around 2008.

Old December 10th 15, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ken Springer[_2_]

From: "Ken Springer"

With the computer "turned on"...
If you have an Cat5 Ethernet cable connected to a Router, HUB or E-Switch
and then you connect it to the embedded NIC's RJ45, do you have Link
Lights
?

Nope. And I know the cable is good, just had another laptop plugged to it
a few days ago.

That's a rare condition. It means a complete failure of the embedded NIC.
Not only does the OS not see it but the hardware isn't seen at the Physical
layer by external equipment.

That's the conclusion I came to a couple days ago. But, I'm anal,
stubborn, and who knows what else. I don't give up easy. LOL

Well you can still used the WiFi and you can use a USB v2.0 to Ethernet
adapter or a 54mm CardBus Ethernet adapter. If you can't find a 54mm
CardBus Ethernet adapter, you can use a 34mm CardBus Ethernet adapter with a
34mm to 54mm adapter/bracket.

Or...

You can junk it. I think its a Core Duo based system from around 2008.

As I mentioned in the original post, the laptop has a future home. I'll
let the new owner know about the 2.0 to Ethernet adapter, so she can
find one if she ever needs it.

Thanks for the help, David.

--
Ken