Vista Banter

-   General Vista Help and Support (http://www.vistabanter.com/general-vista-help-support/)
-   -   Page won't print (http://www.vistabanter.com/187039-page-wont-print.html)

micky December 20th 15 08:47 PM

Page won't print

Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot
like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645.

I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error
- Printing.

Start here,
http://games.washingtonpost.com/game...ily-crossword/
Click Play Now and end up he
http://games.washingtonpost.com/games/daily-crossword/

You have to let the video play for at least 12 seconds.

Please select the 19th or 18th, yesterday or the day before. I've
tried both, more than once. CLICK PLAY

CLICK PLAY again to get past the instructions.
Then click the printer ICON to the left of MENU,
and choose the left entry BLANK PUZZLE, and click on that.

Then click Okay, to finish printing.

Did it print?

I have an Epson Workforce 645, connected wirelessly, and this is the
first time in 3 years I've had any problem printing. Following all
this, I just printed a .jpg file with no problem.

But for this one I get "error - printing". No more help, afaict.
Maybe you can help?
Also sometimes the file is 1.06M and sometimes 530K, but neither will
print.

I was going to do the puzzle on the screen, but it's not so easy. I
have to click on each square I want to fill in, and have to use cntl-M
to type an M.

David E. Ross December 20th 15 09:28 PM

Page won't print

On 12/20/2015 1:47 PM, Micky wrote:

[...]

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 (x64)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39
Flash 20.0 r0(235) (20.0.0 .235)
doPDF 8.3.937

I am running low on toner, so I did not do a hard-copy print. However,
I successfully "printed" from SeaMonkey to a PDF file via doPDF.

--
David E. Ross

Pharmaceutical companies claim their drug prices are
so high because they have to recover the costs of developing
those drugs. Two questions:

1. Why is the U.S. paying the entire cost of development while
prices for the same drugs in other nations are much lower?

2. Manufacturers of generic drugs did not have those
development costs. Why are they charging so much for generics?

Rene Lamontagne December 20th 15 09:33 PM

Page won't print

On 2015-12-20 16:47, Micky wrote:
Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot
like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645.

I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error
- Printing.

Start here,
http://games.washingtonpost.com/game...ily-crossword/
Click Play Now and end up he
http://games.washingtonpost.com/games/daily-crossword/

[etc]

No problems printing here.

Windows 8.1 Pro
FF 38.5.0
JavaScript and Flash allowed.
Brother DCP-7040

HTH

OK here also IE11 on Windows 10 with an OKIDATA c5150n color laser.

Regards, Rene

Paul in Houston TX December 20th 15 09:45 PM

Page won't print

Micky wrote:

Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot
like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645.

I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error
- Printing.

It worked perfectly for me using print to pdf and print to black and white Brother.

Maybe it was just a temporary problem.
Can you print to pdf?

micky December 21st 15 01:54 AM

Page won't print, something to do with Epson, I think

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 14:28:19 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you David, Rene, Wolf. For details about your systems and
letting me know it's not an unprintable page.

I should have thought of printing to a file, darn, but I just tried
that and it didnt' work either!

I went looking for the manual and couldn't remember what I did when I
moved from XP to Vista. I don't remember reinstalling the printer, but
I must have done so.

I looked again in Printers, and I have 5 items. 1 and 2) a couple FAX
things**; 3) MS XPS Document Writer, whatever that is; 4) Epson309E4
(Workforce 645), the default; and 5) Workforce 645 (Network).

The last time I looked at that I blankly stared and wondered why both
of the last two were there, not just one, but then I ignored it. This
time I tried printing to the last one, and it worked fine!!

But I checked now and it didn't change the default, or what Firefox
picks first. Or what any of the other programs I use pick first, of
course. So that means I've printed other things with option 4, the
default.

So why are there two of them, and why didn't option 4 work this time?

**And why are there two FAX options for the same fax/printer, 1) Fax
and 2) Epson Workforce 645 Series - Network Fax. Hmm. The first
one, Fax, doesn't say a word about Epson. I think it came with
Windows. That's probably what I thought when I saw two items for the
printer, that one came with Windows, probably ignored the Workforce in
the name of one.

(I've only sent one series of faxes in the 3 years I've had it, and
the source was paper, not the computer, but it was a medical thing and
I was very glad to send it that night and not have to wait and go to a
store the next day.)

I usually buy the paper and do the crossword in it, but Friday and
Saturday, there was no xword. I only googled to see if there was a
story about them cancelling the xword, but instead I found they had it
online. For the record, this is not a very hard one (for someone
who's been doing xwords off and on, on for a total of maybe 4 years)
and I can usually do all but 2 or 3 boxes in an hour or less.
Sometimes I have to let it sit overnight, or over 2 nights. There
are harder ones online for those who want.

Thanks again.

micky December 21st 15 01:56 AM

Page won't print

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 16:45:46 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
wrote:

Micky wrote:

Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot
like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645.

I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error
- Printing.

It worked perfectly for me using print to pdf and print to black and white Brother.

Maybe it was just a temporary problem.

I'd tried yesterday too. For Friday and Saturday, and today for
Sunday.

Can you print to pdf?

Nope.

But see my other post which was supposed to be addressed to you too.

It's a shame there is no error number with a list of errors and what
they mean. But otoh, setup was easy and this is the first problem in
3 years.

Paul in Houston TX December 21st 15 03:06 AM

Page won't print

wrote:

Micky wrote:

Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot
like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645.

I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error
- Printing.

It worked perfectly for me using print to pdf and print to black and white Brother.

Maybe it was just a temporary problem.

I'd tried yesterday too. For Friday and Saturday, and today for
Sunday.

Can you print to pdf?

Nope.

But see my other post which was supposed to be addressed to you too.

It's a shame there is no error number with a list of errors and what
they mean. But otoh, setup was easy and this is the first problem in
3 years.

I did not see a pdf printer listed in the other ng post.
Print to pdf is a good way to rule out it being a problem with the web page.
I use PdfCreator. That way I can save the page and print at another time.
Great for when there is no paper printer available.
As usual, watch that it does not install google tool bars and such:
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

micky December 21st 15 04:17 AM

Page won't print

wrote:

Micky wrote:

Could someone do me a favor. I have windows Vista but it's a lot
like win7. Also, a wireless Epson Workforce 645.

I can't get this page to print. It goes to the queue but says Error
- Printing.

It worked perfectly for me using print to pdf and print to black and white Brother.

Maybe it was just a temporary problem.

I'd tried yesterday too. For Friday and Saturday, and today for
Sunday.

Can you print to pdf?

Nope.

That is, I should be able to print to a file but I got the same
"error".

But see my other post which was supposed to be addressed to you too.

It's a shame there is no error number with a list of errors and what
they mean. But otoh, setup was easy and this is the first problem in
3 years.

I did not see a pdf printer listed in the other ng post.
Print to pdf is a good way to rule out it being a problem with the web page.

This all-in-one has scan to pdf (although I don't think I've gotten it
to work. (I don't scan much either), and it had print to file. I
coudln't figure out what extension to give to the file name, pdf, txt!

Another reason I looked for the manual. Aha, the 330-page manual
doesn't mention printing to a file, though it's an option. Googling
found nothing also (Don't anyone look. It's not that important.)

Oh, well. I have another printer I'm going to install when I have a
chance. Maybe it will do that easily. I also have a canon BJ-300. I
know it worked on that!

I use PdfCreator. That way I can save the page and print at another time.
Great for when there is no paper printer available.
As usual, watch that it does not install google tool bars and such:
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Good to be reminded. I gather this one at leasts asks first. ;-)

David E. Ross December 21st 15 03:02 PM

wrote:

[...]

To set a default printer, open the Windows Control Panel. From there,
select "Devices and Printers". Right-click on the desired printer and
select "Set as default printer" from the pull-down context menu.

When actually printing, you might select a printer that is not your
chosen default. If you do this in Firefox, that browser will continue
to choose that non-default printer. You can make Firefox reset back to
your chosen default every time it is launched. Locate your Firefox
profile directory. In that directory, open the file user.js in a
plain-text editor (e.g., Notepad, Wordpad, but NOT Word); if the file
does not exist, create it. Enter the following in user.js:
user_pref("print_printer", "");
// default back to Windows default printer
The semi-colon (;) at the end of the first line is mandatory. The
double virgules (//) at the start of the second line indicate this is a
comment to remind you why you have this. This becomes effective every
time you launch Firefox.

micky December 25th 15 04:25 AM

Page won't print, something to do with Epson, I think

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I haven't had to do that but everything is working well now.