Network security, passwords and keys

Old December 25th 15, 04:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default Network security, passwords and keys

All this time I've been thinking that if WEP or WPA-PSK enabled and a
proper key, I have adequate router security.

But in a moment of possible enlightenment, it occurred to me that if
an interloper can log into my router, he can change the key so that
iiuc I won't be able to use the net. That's bad, right?

And if I haven't set a router password, he can set one, and then I
would have run around in circles for an hour not understanding why I
couldn't call up my router page. (Even now it will take me a half
hour to figure out I have to push the reset button on the router,
right? And then I have to get my two wireless things connected
again. More wasted time.)

So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

With a new router, the router password has to be set first, I think,
or an aggressive interloper will change the encryption key. Does
this happen?

Thanks
Old December 25th 15, 04:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Mike Easter

Micky wrote:
So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

Absolutely.

--
Mike Easter

Old December 25th 15, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
rickman

On 12/25/2015 12:36 AM, Micky wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure the access to the user page in the router is only
available on the LAN side unless you turn on access from the WAN side. No?

--

Rick
Old December 25th 15, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
David E. Ross

On 12/24/2015 9:24 PM, Micky wrote [in part]:
So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

Yes, I definitely have a password. Changing from the default password
was one of the very first things I did when setting up my router.

However, I have also disabled Wifi. We have two PCs wired to the
router. We have no laptop, no tablet, no iPad, and no smart phone.
Thus, we do not need Wifi.

By the way, last night, Southern California Edison had an unplanned
power outage that lasted about 3 hours. This morning, I could not
connect to the Internet. After lengthy phone calls, first to my ISP
(Time-Warner Cable) and then to the manufacturer of my router (Netgear),
the conclusion was that my router might have failed. Since my router
was several years old, Netgear wanted "big bucks" to continue the phone
call. Instead, I bought a new router for less than half the amount
Netgear wanted.

--
David E. Ross

Pharmaceutical companies claim their drug prices are
so high because they have to recover the costs of developing
those drugs. Two questions:

1. Why is the U.S. paying the entire cost of development while
prices for the same drugs in other nations are much lower?

2. Manufacturers of generic drugs did not have those
development costs. Why are they charging so much for generics?
Old December 25th 15, 05:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Paul in Houston TX

Micky wrote:

So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

I would imagine that most computer literate people do.
Make it quite long but mnemonic so it can be remembered.
Case sensitive, alpha-numeric, and symbol.

With a new router, the router password has to be set first, I think,
or an aggressive interloper will change the encryption key. Does
this happen?

More than likely it happens. Some people leave the
default in place. Not a good idea. They do the same
with their wifi. A terrible idea.

Old December 25th 15, 05:13 AM posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 00:50:33 -0500, rickman wrote:

[...]

Something I was reading also suggested this, but I checked before
posting and I can get there and change a setting from my laptop. I
don't see a place to turn it on or off, and I surely didn't turn it
on, but otoh, the router is about 8 years old (although it says the
firmware is almost 11 years old**.) Maybe D-Link hadn't thought of
this yet.

**Could a router come with firmware 3 years old? Maybe I bought the
router used and don't remember. I don't remember where I bought it at
all, new or used.
Old December 25th 15, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 21:55:15 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 12/24/2015 9:24 PM, Micky wrote [in part]:
So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

Yes, I definitely have a password.

The thought never occurred to me, even though the field was right
there. I thought, How nice, I don't have to fill it in.

Changing from the default password

No default either, just blank.

was one of the very first things I did when setting up my router.

However, I have also disabled Wifi. We have two PCs wired to the
router. We have no laptop, no tablet, no iPad, and no smart phone.
Thus, we do not need Wifi.

I have a laptop bought used and rarely used, but sometimes. And a
printer that was far too far from the computer to run a wire.

Old December 25th 15, 05:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 00:04:34 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
wrote:

Micky wrote:

So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

I would imagine that most computer literate people do.

Ah, no wonder! I guess I'm not really in that category anymore.

Make it quite long but mnemonic so it can be remembered.
Case sensitive, alpha-numeric, and symbol.

With a new router, the router password has to be set first, I think,
or an aggressive interloper will change the encryption key. Does
this happen?

More than likely it happens. Some people leave the
default in place. Not a good idea. They do the same
with their wifi. A terrible idea.

Thanks all.
Old December 25th 15, 05:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Paul in Houston TX

wrote:

Micky wrote:

So do you all have a password for logging into your router?

I would imagine that most computer literate people do.

Ah, no wonder! I guess I'm not really in that category anymore.

Sure you are! Your questions make us think, research, and remember.