looking for a program like sndrec.exe

Old January 3rd 16, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default looking for a program like sndrec.exe

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 19:33:52 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 03/01/2016 17:03, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes

I've always been able to record streamed audio with WavePad by setting
Stereo Mix as the default recording device.

I think it was 'Stereo Mix' (which, I believe, is payware) that I once
tried on a W7 Dell D630 laptop because it had no native mixer stereo mix
function, and Audacity wouldn't record streamed audio. As it was
payware, I only tried it - and as I could use Audacity on another PC, I
didn't buy it.

I note that on this website
http://bit.ly/1RXZrmI
it says you can also use Audacity’s WASAPI Loopback. I don't recall
Audacity showing this on the W7 Dell D630, and it's not present on this
XP machine. I didn't notice it either on my Vista machine (Emachines
4264, using the motherboard audio).

The Stereo Mix I referred to is certainly not payware - it's part of
the Win 7 Professional (32-bit) which came with my Dell laptop.

When I right click on the speaker icon at the right-hand end of the
system tray, and then select Recording Devices, a dialogue box appears
which shows what's available. The built-in options include External Mic
and Stereo Mix - where the latter is defined as "IDT High Definition
Audio Codec". [I have an additional option which is the microphone in
my USB webcam - but that only appears when the webcam is plugged in.]

It's possible that the standard options may depend on what sound card
is built into your computer. A long time ago, when I had a desktop
computer with lots of audio inputs (can't remember whether it was
running XP or W98!) it had a built-in audio mixer with lots of
individual volume sliders - for mic, line input, MIDI synthesizer, etc.
My laptop doesn't have that, but whatever the speakers are receiving -
including streamed audio - still gets fed to WavePad when I specify
Stereo Mix as the active recording device. [It's usually necessary to
disable the others temporarily].

My previous two XP desktops have had lots of mixer sliders - including
'Stereo Mix'. Audacity recorded fine. This one (a Dell Optiplex 210L)
also has quite a few - but it has no 'Stereo Mix'. Instead, it has a
'Mono Mix' - and Audacity won't record streamed audio. I can't recall
offhand what the Vista 4264 PC, but as I said, Audacity won't record
either.

Not all streaming but for many webradio stations, RadioMaximus works
pretty well. One small bug and the author doesn't write back, but
not a big problem. Free, but if you pay will record while
unattended, like an audio VCR.

As for the 'Stereo Mix' being part of the Win 7 Professional (32-bit),
that's exactly what my Dell D630 laptop has - but as I said, I'm pretty
certain that there was no Stereo Mix slider (certainly not if you don't
plug anything into the 'Mic In' connector (also serves as 'Line In').

As for WavePad, I've Googled, and found lots of it:
http://bit.ly/1OteYJ7
I use loads of freeware, but I don't recall using WavePad - so I'll give
it a go, and see what happens.

Old January 3rd 16, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , pjp
writes:
In article ,
says...

[]
I strongly recommend the free Audacity. I used it to digitize a large
collection of audiotapes and vinyl LPs, which I eventually burned to
CDs. Audacity is easy to use, and has very good features for cleaning
up noise.

I use an old version of SoundForge. It's basically portable so it's easy

[]
I used it to digitize my over 500 albums years ago along with numerous
cassettes and even some audio I had on stereo vcr tapes.

I used GoldWave; the really ancient version I had ran a sort of counter,
something like one cent per operation, showing you a notional cost of
what you were doing/had done. IIRR, it nagged more and more as you built
up a "bill" of several dollars - but you could, I think, reset it by
stopping and starting. I eventually bought it (though for less than it
is now). I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. (I _think_
there's still a free trial version, but - if there is - I don't know
what restrictions it has.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I am what I am - I am my own special creation;
I am what I am, and what I am needs no excuses.
Old January 4th 16, 12:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Ian Jackson"

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 02/01/2016 22:03, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Roger Mills
writes
From: "Micky"

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to record
and playback from my microphone. If it did more things that might be
nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

Thanks.

Nil has provided, arguably, the best solution.

Audacity not only allows one to record from the microphone but also
from
Line-In. It also allows one to edit the audio track and modify and
transform the audio track and then save it in various compressed (
like
MP3 ) and uncompressed formats ( like WAV ).

SoundRecorder is a junk, stock, utility. Audacity is an Audio creation
and editing application.

http://audacityteam.org/download/

I use Audacity. I also use WavePad which is also good. Both are free -
but there is also a Pro paid-for version of WavePad, but the free
version does everything I need.

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/ [Click on the link in the paragraph
which begins with "Get it free . . ."

Audacity will record almost anything you hear in the speakers. While
there won't be any problems with a microphone, there are some computers
won't let it record streamed audio (it depends on the sound card).
Although I've been using Audacity for years, on a couple of my latest
machines I've had to buy and install Total Recorder (which seems to work
OK).
http://www.highcriteria.com/

I've always been able to record streamed audio with WavePad by setting
Stereo Mix as the default recording device.

I think it was 'Stereo Mix' (which, I believe, is payware) that I once
tried on a W7 Dell D630 laptop because it had no native mixer stereo mix
function, and Audacity wouldn't record streamed audio. As it was payware,
I only tried it - and as I could use Audacity on another PC, I didn't buy
it.

I note that on this website
http://bit.ly/1RXZrmI
it says you can also use Audacity’s WASAPI Loopback. I don't recall
Audacity showing this on the W7 Dell D630, and it's not present on this XP
machine. I didn't notice it either on my Vista machine (Emachines 4264,
using the motherboard audio).

Plaese don't use Shortended URLs where they are not needed. If a URL is not
long then it is NOT needed. Use Shortended URLs when a URL is long and or
complex where line wrapping may cause the URL to not work. In that case you
should post both the Shortended URL and the actual URL so the user has a
choice. Additionally, you should use a URL shortening service that has a
URL "preview" capability.

There are too many instances where what seems liked a legitimate Usenet
posts contain a shortened URL that point to a malicious site. Additionally
one should use a Shortended URL service that takes Abuse seriously such as
TinyURL. Bit.ly ( .LY is the TLD of Libya ! ) is not a service that takes
Abuse seriously.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp