looking for a program like sndrec.exe

Old January 2nd 16, 06:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default looking for a program like sndrec.exe

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to record
and playback from my microphone. If it did more things that might be
nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

Thanks.
Old January 2nd 16, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Nil[_4_]

On 02 Jan 2016, Micky wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to
record and playback from my microphone. If it did more things
that might be nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

I'm sure that Sound Recorder came with Vista, since it came earlier
with XP and later with Windows 7. Have you actually tried looking for
it? It's probably listed in the Accessories menu.

A decent free full-featured audio recorder is Audacity
(http://www.audacityteam.org/).
Old January 2nd 16, 06:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 02:29:54 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 02 Jan 2016, Micky wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to
record and playback from my microphone. If it did more things
that might be nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

I'm sure that Sound Recorder came with Vista, since it came earlier
with XP and later with Windows 7. Have you actually tried looking for
it? It's probably listed in the Accessories menu.

Sure I checked. I also googled but didn't use the right words. When I
came up with better words just now I got:
What replaced sndrec32 from Windows XP in Windows 7?

The upshot is it's called soundrecorder.exe now.

A decent free full-featured audio recorder is Audacity
(http://www.audacityteam.org/).

Thanks. I'll use one or the other. If I don't use Audacity now,
I'll probably use it later.
Old January 2nd 16, 07:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 02:46:48 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 02:29:54 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 02 Jan 2016, Micky wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to
record and playback from my microphone. If it did more things
that might be nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

I'm sure that Sound Recorder came with Vista, since it came earlier
with XP and later with Windows 7. Have you actually tried looking for
it? It's probably listed in the Accessories menu.

Sure I checked. I also googled but didn't use the right words. When I
came up with better words just now I got:
What replaced sndrec32 from Windows XP in Windows 7?

The upshot is it's called soundrecorder.exe now.

A decent free full-featured audio recorder is Audacity
(http://www.audacityteam.org/).

Thanks. I'll use one or the other. If I don't use Audacity now,
I'll probably use it later.

Me again. It turns out soundrecorder.exe will record but won't play!
Seems like it will be inconvenient, so I'll either use Audacity or
copy sndrec32 over from XP when I have that drive connected.

Thanks again.
Old January 2nd 16, 07:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_2_]

wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 02:29:54 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 02 Jan 2016, Micky wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

[...]

Windows Media Player should play. And I'm sure
there would be third-party items like WinAmp etc.

More info here, depending on what you end up using.
Output format changes with OS version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Recorder_(Windows)

Paul
Old January 2nd 16, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
David[_46_]

"Nil" wrote in message ...

On 02 Jan 2016, Micky wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to
record and playback from my microphone. If it did more things
that might be nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

I'm sure that Sound Recorder came with Vista, since it came earlier
with XP and later with Windows 7. Have you actually tried looking for
it? It's probably listed in the Accessories menu.

A decent free full-featured audio recorder is Audacity
(http://www.audacityteam.org/).

I've been using Audacity for many years. It has yet to disappoint me
(a bit of a learning curve, and I have yet to use all of its features, which
are numerous).

Old January 2nd 16, 12:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Micky"

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to record
and playback from my microphone. If it did more things that might be
nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

Thanks.

Nil has provided, arguably, the best solution.

Audacity not only allows one to record from the microphone but also from
Line-In. It also allows one to edit the audio track and modify and
transform the audio track and then save it in various compressed ( like
MP3 ) and uncompressed formats ( like WAV ).

SoundRecorder is a junk, stock, utility. Audacity is an Audio creation and
editing application.

http://audacityteam.org/download/

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old January 2nd 16, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Stan Brown

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 02:00:17 -0500, Micky wrote:

I'm running Vista but it's a lot like 7.

I'm looking for a program something like sndrec.exe, just to record
and playback from my microphone. If it did more things that might be
nice, but not worth paying extra for.

Does something come with Vista? Or another recommendation.

I strongly recommend the free Audacity. I used it to digitize a large
collection of audiotapes and vinyl LPs, which I eventually burned to
CDs. Audacity is easy to use, and has very good features for cleaning
up noise.

http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...
Old January 2nd 16, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Stan Brown

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 02:29:54 -0500, Nil wrote:
A decent free full-featured audio recorder is Audacity
(http://www.audacityteam.org/).

Oops -- I saw this after I had posted my recommendation of the same
program. But I lazily failed to give the URL.

http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...