How to install a printer to Vista when the maker doesn't supply drivers

Old January 12th 16, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Patrick[_15_]

Default How to install a printer to Vista when the maker doesn't supplydrivers

On 12/01/2016 18:22, Patrick wrote:
On 08/01/2016 10:03, Micky wrote:
A friend gave me a laser color printer, a Brother MFC-6800 fwiw. The
Brother site has drivers for XP, but no drivers for Vista. I've
finally bumped into the big complaint I heard so much about, a
shortage of drivers for Vista.

Appears to have drivers for every OS here;
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...rod=mfc6800_us

Sorry, my mistake !

Old January 12th 16, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Patrick[_15_]

On 12/01/2016 18:25, Patrick wrote:
On 12/01/2016 18:22, Patrick wrote:
On 08/01/2016 10:03, Micky wrote:
A friend gave me a laser color printer, a Brother MFC-6800 fwiw. The
Brother site has drivers for XP, but no drivers for Vista. I've
finally bumped into the big complaint I heard so much about, a
shortage of drivers for Vista.

Appears to have drivers for every OS here;
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...rod=mfc6800_us

Sorry, my mistake !

Perhaps dodgy but I did find this;
http://www.driverscape.com/download/brother-mfc-6800

Old January 13th 16, 12:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Joe Morris

On 08/01/2016 10:03, Micky wrote:

A friend gave me a laser color printer, a Brother MFC-6800 fwiw. The
Brother site has drivers for XP, but no drivers for Vista. I've
finally bumped into the big complaint I heard so much about, a
shortage of drivers for Vista.

Try this:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...other+MFC-6800

Sort the results by date; on my system most of the entries are dated 2003
and intended for Windows 2000, but there are three entries marked for Win7+
and four for Win8+. it's likely (but not guaranteed!) that these driver
will work with Vista.

The most recent entries are dated June 2009 and are listed as "Brother
driver update for Brother MFC-6800".

Joe

Old January 13th 16, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 18:52:26 +0000, Patrick
wrote:

On 12/01/2016 18:25, Patrick wrote:
On 12/01/2016 18:22, Patrick wrote:
On 08/01/2016 10:03, Micky wrote:
A friend gave me a laser color printer, a Brother MFC-6800 fwiw. The
Brother site has drivers for XP, but no drivers for Vista. I've
finally bumped into the big complaint I heard so much about, a
shortage of drivers for Vista.

Appears to have drivers for every OS here;
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...rod=mfc6800_us

Sorry, my mistake !

I appreciate the effort.

Perhaps dodgy but I did find this;
http://www.driverscape.com/download/brother-mfc-6800

Here too.

If you read the longest post in this thread, you'll see how things
turned out so far. Pretty good. Now my problems seem to be
mechanical.

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:06:41 -0500
Old January 14th 16, 09:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 19:12:21 -0500, "Joe Morris"
wrote:

On 08/01/2016 10:03, Micky wrote:

A friend gave me a laser color printer, a Brother MFC-6800 fwiw. The
Brother site has drivers for XP, but no drivers for Vista. I've
finally bumped into the big complaint I heard so much about, a
shortage of drivers for Vista.

Try this:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...other+MFC-6800

Okay, MS is so stuffy that Firefox won't work with this page.
Seriously, does MS have a good reason for this or are they just being
self-centered?

So I went to IE and I got a page back that says
"Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Update Catalog
To use this Web site's full functionality, you must be running
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later."

Except I'm runing IE9!!

But the second time I tried, the page loaded.

It also said "To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to
the Internet Explorer Downloads Website." But that said I was using
the latest version.
And it said, "If you prefer to use a different Web browser, you can
get updates from the Microsoft Download Center. " but that looked
nothing like the page you referred me too. It must be MS's way of
tormenting people who cross them.

Sort the results by date;

They already were!!

on my system most of the entries are dated 2003
and intended for Windows 2000, but there are three entries marked for Win7+
and four for Win8+. it's likely (but not guaranteed!) that these driver
will work with Vista.

I didn't have the ones listed for win8, probably because it knows I
have Vista, but otoh, I did have the ones from earlier.

The most recent entries are dated June 2009 and are listed as "Brother
driver update for Brother MFC-6800".

YES, YES, Yes!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had that and I
was so excited. 2009 is so recent, and it came from Brother, not just
that generic stuff that people have told me about.

So I dl'd and it was a .cab file, and I found a way to unzip it. .
(all this time in the back of my mind is, Why does MS have a driver
that Brother doesnt' have on its page?)

I forgot or never new how to install it. It has only one .exe file,
and when I ran that, it showed up in Task Manager/ Processes, but
afaict it was doing nothing. It showed no screen and used no cpu.

It had a bunch of dll and bin files, and a few icm files. What is an
icm file? It had two sys files, and one .cat file and one .inf file.
I knew the .inf file woud be legible so I legged it. This is what it
says.
";BRMFCWIA.INF -- Brother MFC WIA scanner Setup File
; Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brother industries,LTD. "

Alas, this is the file that improves scanning, allowing scanning legal
size paper, not just letter size. And it's the same file, the only
file, that's available on the Brother download site for Vista.

But thank you anyhow for your effort. It was a learning experience
and now I kow about
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx which I never
knew before. Aha, it says v7. Maybe that's why it didn't show me
win8 files. Nope. Changing the 7 to an 8 gives Not Found.

Joe

Old January 14th 16, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
The New Other Guy

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 04:45:55 -0500, Micky
wrote:

Except I'm runing IE9!!

Not surprisingly, it fails on IE11 as well.

Old January 14th 16, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

wrote:

Except I'm runing IE9!!

Not surprisingly, it fails on IE11 as well.

Interesting.

But it worked the second time I did it.

I don't remember if I just reloaded the page with cntl-R or not.

Old January 14th 16, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
Charlie[_15_]

On 1/14/2016 4:45 AM, Micky wrote:
What is an
icm file?

It's a file used for color correction, assuming you have software
that can use it. When part of a printer package, it mainly relates to
the color characteristics of the ink and paper.
The whole color correction/calibration/adjustment bit is quite involved.
Old January 16th 16, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 15:34:47 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On 1/14/2016 4:45 AM, Micky wrote:
What is an
icm file?

It's a file used for color correction, assuming you have software
that can use it. When part of a printer package, it mainly relates to
the color characteristics of the ink and paper.
The whole color correction/calibration/adjustment bit is quite involved.

Very interesting. Thanks.
Old January 16th 16, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.windows7.general
micky

wrote:

On 12/01/2016 18:25, Patrick wrote:
On 12/01/2016 18:22, Patrick wrote:
On 08/01/2016 10:03, Micky wrote:
A friend gave me a laser color printer, a Brother MFC-6800 fwiw. The
Brother site has drivers for XP, but no drivers for Vista. I've
finally bumped into the big complaint I heard so much about, a
shortage of drivers for Vista.

Appears to have drivers for every OS here;
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...rod=mfc6800_us

Sorry, my mistake !

I appreciate the effort.

Perhaps dodgy but I did find this;
http://www.driverscape.com/download/brother-mfc-6800

Here too.

If you read the longest post in this thread, you'll see how things
turned out so far. Pretty good. Now my problems seem to be
mechanical.

I spoke too soon.

Printing to a file with one of the two "printers" that got installed
seems to give a file of zero length, and with the other one, it's not
nearly as long as the image should be. I'll get back to you all.

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:06:41 -0500