Wireless networking - "Identifying ...(Public Network).."

Old February 4th 07, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
The Thinker

Default Wireless networking - "Identifying ...(Public Network).."

Hi,

I'm having a strange wireless networking problem. I defined a private
network in Vista, complete with wireless network connection & key.

When I reboot my laptop, it does not auto re-connect to this (only
network I have defined), instead it tries to create a new public
network (message "Identifying ...(Public Network).." appear in Network
and Sharing Centre), with access type of Local Only - i.e. no internet
access - but it does pick up the wireless sid name / key etc.

At this point, the machine has a local ip address 169.254 ..., it has
not picked up one from the router (but has picked up the DNS server
addresses).

The only way I can resolve this is to click on the red cross that
appears in the network and sharing center window on the link to the
world / internet image, where upon I get various options, 1 of which
is renew IP address for the wireless adaptor. Do this and then it
connects fine to my pre-defined private network.

My network works fine on XP machines.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

Old July 2nd 08, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Birdman2000

I noticed that this post was written in 2007. I'm having the exact same
problem and we are now in 2008!!!! Microsoft, where is the
solution????? Does anyone have the solution to this very irritating
problem?

Thank you!

Rick

--
Birdman2000

Old July 3rd 08, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Birdman2000[_2_]

I found the solution to this irritating problem on a different support
website. I can't find the original solution post to give them proper
credit (and post a thank you). Anyway, here is the Microsoft KB for the
solution: 'Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain
routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233)

--
Birdman2000

Old August 7th 08, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
WitchyAnne

OK,new to this side of things.

Should it really say {guid} or can it be a series of numbers and
letters?

Mine don't look like

Code:
--------------------
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}*
--------------------

but instead where {guid} is, there is a string of numbers and letters.

Do I edit the values within these 2 entries?

--
WitchyAnne

Old September 3rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
jliming

By the way, I did find and already tried the Microsoft KB solution:

'Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233)

with no success.

Jan

--
jliming

Old April 16th 10, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
gtghip[_2_]

jliming;983230 Wrote:
By the way, I did find and already tried the Microsoft KB solution:

'Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233)

with no success.

Jan

Try this!

I had this problem with my laptop also.
I restarted the laptop with the wireless connection switch shut off.
After reboot was complete, then I turned the switch back on.
Then open control panel, Network & Sharing Center.
Should be your default network now & private network status.
Across from that click Customize.
At the bottom of the pop-up click 'Merge or delete Network Locations'.
In the pop-up if there is a Network that is not in use delete it, then
close/cancel the remaining open windows.
I have a third party software firewall (Comodo) installed on my laptop
which I use and thought I had the windows firewall disable but I guessed
wrong.
So I went to start menu, control panel, windows firewall, and found
that even though I had it turned off it was still monitoring my system.
To disable the Windows Firewall on a network connection:

1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
2. Click then select Windows Firewall.
3. Click Change Settings.
4. From the window that appears, click the Advanced tab.
5. Remove the check beside the connection that you want to disable
the Windows Firewall for.
6. Click OK.
Then from the start menu, run command, type 'services.msc' without the
quotation marks.
Find windows firewall, highlight and right click, then click
properties.
At service status click Stop.
Then from the 'startup type' drop down menu click 'Disabled'.
Click Apply, then OK.
Reboot.
After the reboot I received a window asking what type of network I
would like, I chose Home/Private.
Then Control Panel, Network & Sharing Center.
Should be a Private Network now, click Customize.
In open window click Merge or Delete Network locations.
If there are 2 click on the 1 not being used then click Merge.
In the open window select the 1 being used and click Merge, Apply/OK.
That's all folks, good to go.

--
gtghip