Old April 13th 07, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
R. C. White, MVP

Default Unsent messages in outbox

Hi, Steve.

SUCCESS! ;)

Today I tried the move-then-Import-back routine, as you instructed a couple
of messages ago. But this time, I did it right - and it worked! But it
sure took a lot longer than it should.

The step that I messed up on before was the Move. I had closed Windows Mail
and opened a Command Prompt window and used Robocopy to Move the files from
my Mail Store from the ..\Vista folder to a new ..\Vista2 folder. Today, I
closed WM and then used Windows Explorer to do the Move. I highlighted the
Vista folder, then used Ctr.+A to Select All its files and folders. Then
I used the mouse to drag them to my new Vista4 folder. The actual Move took
only a couple of seconds, since Explorer simply changes the pointer to the
folders, rather than actually moving them.

When I started WM again, I clicked Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store
Folder to be sure that it was still pointing to the (now-empty) Vista
folder. Then I clicked File | Import | Messages and pointed to my new
Vista4 folder. I chose to import All folders. I should have been more
selective because it took a looong time to import all my newsgroup posts.
And then I had to recreate my News accounts, resubscribe to NGs, and
re-download the posts again, anyhow. And I had to delete the ones that I
had imported. It took about an hour to Import everything, and then most of
an hour to move the folders back from Imported Folders to Local Folders.

The good news is that when the Import was finished, my Outbox was empty.
And my emails now go out normally. ;)

Thanks again.

Now look for my latest dilemma: Signatures. That's what jammed my Outbox
in the first place - I think.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
news
Hi RC,

Okay, that was very helpful. Do you have any antivirus sw on the
computer?

I've tried various things to duplicate it and I couldn't, your step was
very helpful.

You have a copy of OEX (check your inbox. G). See if you can delete it
from the outbox display in OEX. That would help to know if that's
possible. Then I could write a small routine to clear the outbox that way.

Otherwise you can reset the message store by moving its entire contents to
a different directory and then reopening WinMail.

cheers,

steve

"R. C. White, MVP" wrote in message
Hi, Steve.

Now it has happened to ME! :(

I've tried all the solutions that I and you and others have suggested.
No joy.

The solution in your last post (create new store folder, then import from
old) works - but too well! It imports the defective Outbox along with
the good stuff, so I'm back in the same place as before (and it took a
couple of hours to do the Import from/to my one computer). Except that
now I have a second copy of my Message Store that I can play with while
my original stays intact.

Some details: Windows Mail has worked well for me since midway through
the Vista beta, and since I installed Vista Ultimate x64 on my AMD Athlon
64 X2 5000+ system after I upgraded it in December. Until last Thursday,
4/5/07. Then I Replied to a message from my daughter-in-law. But there
was an unrelated glitch just as I hit the Send button and I panicked and
hit the Big Red X to exit WM in the middle of the Send operation. When I
restarted WM, everything was normal EXCEPT that my Reply was still in the
Outbox, still marked Unread. But when I tried to view the message, WM
told me, "Message could not be displayed
Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
again." The "low memory or low disk space" verbiage is pure boilerplate
garbage; there is plenty of memory and disk space. Surprisingly, that
message IS in my Sent Items, (and she confirms that she received it) so
it did go out, but WM got interrupted before completing its internal
bookkeeping, so it has not cleared it from my Outbox. The mistake is my
fault, I think, but WM should give me a graceful way - or at least, SOME
WAY - to correct my mistake.

That is the last email that I've been able to send from WM. Every email
I've tried to send since then has stayed in my Outbox, waiting for that
stuck message to clear. Newsgroup posts get sent normally, so I expect
you will see this one. I've been able to send email from Outlook 2007.
For a couple of days, I worried that I was also not receiving email, but
apparently my usually-active mailing lists were simply not sending me any
mail over the Easter weekend. I've contacted my ISP (Grande
Communications, headquartered here in San Marcos), both by phone and by
Mail2web; the problem is not at their end, it's here in WM on my
computer. My server settings, password, etc., are correct and work for
everything except sending email via WM.

My mail store (..\Vista) has been duplicated, as I said above (into
..\Vista2) (and both versions are set to Leave messages on server). so I
have some files to safely play with. But I don't know which ones to
tackle. So far as I can tell, my manipulations have not lost any
messages, but I've not been able to delete that stuck one, either. I've
deleted the ..\Local Folders\Outbox folder, both from Windows Explorer
and from an Administrator:Command Prompt. First I deleted the few
contents of the Outbox folder, then I deleted the entire folder. No
problem with deleting it, but when I restart WM, the Outbox has been
rebuilt. I expected that, but that stuck message is back again, and I
did not expect that!

I think the Mail Team needs to take a serious look at this one. Some
bits way down in the guts of WM need to be flipped to let us delete the
undeletable message in the Outbox. You are the only person outside MS
that I can think of who might be able to figure out which bits, Steve. I
hope you have the time to do it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
The only clear solution to this at the moment is to go to the Windows
Mail directory (Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder) and move
everything from that directory to another directory. Then WinMail will
start fresh. You can then use File | Import | Messages and point to the
directory to which you moved the message store to recover the messages.

steve

"can't delete outbox message." can't delete outbox
wrote in message
when i try to delete the message in the outbox i get this messa

An unknown error has occured. (with an OK box)

If i let it sit for severan seconds, a new box comes up:

Deleting Message.

this sits there for ever, never deleting the message.

this message was sent out ok i beleave, if i go back and look at the
message
it says:

Message could not be displayed
Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
again.

this is getting annoining... please help to delete this.
thanks.
paul.............

"R. C. White, MVP" wrote:

Hi, Michelle.

If you get that error message again, please copy it and post it here
verbatim. Even if it is confusing to you (and maybe to me), it will
mean a
lot to the folks here who can help you. (POP3 is the current version
of
Post Office Protocol, or something like that.)

Your mail server name may not be correctly entered in Tools |
Accounts, on
the Server tab in Properties for your server. News servers don't
always
require passwords, but Mail servers usually do, and some of them
require
other security features, too, like SPA. And some mail servers will
refuse
to send mail unless you are logged on to them directly, rather than
through
another portal, even though they might download incoming mail for you.

If you are still having the problem, please post back with more
details.

RC

"Michelle" wrote in message
I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding
the
POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
--
Michelle Maust