***Ready Boost Gotcha***

Old February 6th 07, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Default ***Ready Boost Gotcha***

This is an informational post. If you don't use Ready Boost, in a dual boot
situation, there is no reason to read further.

Parameters:
2 gig of PC3200 Crucial RAM
2 gig Ready Boost enhanced SanDisk Micro (no U3 capabilities)

I was noticing yesterday (Sunday) that Ready Boost did not seem to be doing
anything, as opposed to actually seeing a decrease in application load time
over the past couple of weeks.

I have a Ready Boots USB stick plugged permanently into an interior port in
my computer.

I dual boot between Vista and Windows XP. I use, and boot into Vista almost
exclusively - going into XP to use my flat bed scanner (no Vista drivers and
none to be available).

I have the USB stick configured to be Drive S: when booted into either
operating system. I just don't touch it al all when booted into Windows XP.
Unfortunately, something DOES touch it.

I noticed yesterday that the USB stick showed empty when booted into Windows
XP. Something is clearing/deleting the ReadyBoost.sfcache file from the
stick whenever I boot into Windows XP.

This, of course, means that the next time I boot into Vista the cache has to
be re-established and repopulated - causing an initial performance hit on
the system. When once the cache has been established/populated, I can
shutdown and reboot into Vista and the cache is doing what it is intended to
do.

So, if Ready Boost does not seem to be doing anything for you, and you dual
boot, this may be the answer you are seeking!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Old February 6th 07, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

Well, that's cool. Glad you found that out.

Thanks for the info!

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com