Unable to get Lexmark Z645 USB printer to print

Old February 9th 07, 10:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
oldfogie

Default Unable to get Lexmark Z645 USB printer to print

Thanks for reply, Cari! As you probably guessed, I'm pretty much a computer illiterate. For one thing, i don't know what UAC is, so don't know if enabled or not. The printer is connected to a powered USB hub. Everything seems to be working, except the printer does not print. It shows it to be offline, but I have not been able to find anywhere to turn it online. That may be the problem.
I downloaded the driver from Lexmark for this printer, said was for Vista. I understand that windows installs a USB printer automatically when it's connected. The printer turns on when computer is started, and turns off when re-started or shut down. The info is sent to the printer, and one time when I was trying different things in printer setup, said printer could not communicate with the printer. (Worked fine with old computer with Windows ME).
I just don't want to have to take this to the computer repair shop to get them to get it working, $45 min. charge.
I am 78 years old, kind of an old dog to be learning new tricks, but I made it fine with Windows ME.
Malcolm

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote in message ...
Erm, what would you like me to say. I have a network of a Windows 2003 R2
64-bit server (standard edition), two desktops with Vista Ultimate 32bit,
one desktop with Windows XP MCE and two Windows XP Pro notebooks. I have a
Canon i950, a Canon i860, a Canon i560, an Epson R200 and a Lexmark Optra S
and all PCs print to all printers. Oh one of the Vista Ultimate PCs also
dual boots with Windows x64 and that prints fine as well.

All printers installed just as they should.

Now either my PCs and printers know I'm a Printing & Imaging MVP and behave
accordingly, or you're doing something wrong or your printer or PC is not
working correctly. Did you install the software before connecting the
printer? Is the printer connected to a USB port on the motherboard or on a
hub? If on a hub, powered or unpowered? Is this printer known to be
working OK? Are the USB ports known to be working OK? Do you have the
latest drivers from the Lexmark website?

There are probably a few other questions I could ask like is the printer
connected to power and does it have adequate ink supply but I would have
expected you to have checked these.

Is UAC enabled or disabled?

ANY further info you can provide will be helpful but it's difficult to work
with what you have given me.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"oldfogie" wrote in message
Doesn't any MVP have anything to say on this?

Old February 9th 07, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

oldfogie you have just the same exact problem as i. then i decided maybe its
the printer itself so i returned it to wal-mart got another and it does the
same exact things. went to lexmark downloaded what i needed been to microsoft
and still nothing. wont print test page says it was sent but the printer just
sits there. it has brand new ink cartridges and plenty of paper and yes its
getting power so what do we do now?

Old February 10th 07, 01:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
oldfogie

Well, i got fed up with this crap, so got a HP Deskjet-D1320 printer and got
it installed and working ok! Only cost $30, less than computer shop minimum.
I may wrestle with the Lexmark some more later, when I have the time. Thanks to all who replied.
Malcolm

Old February 10th 07, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Barry

You can try what I did to get my Selphy cp510 working - turn off the
bidirectional communication in the printer driver.

To do so, open control panel and select printers in the "hardware and sound"
option.
Right-click the printer in question in the window that opens and select
"properties"
Then click the "ports" tab at the top and in the window untick/deselect the
"enable bidirectional support" checkbox at the bottom.

hopefully this will work for you!

Barry

Old February 10th 07, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
oldfogie

"Barry" wrote in message ...
You can try what I did to get my Selphy cp510 working - turn off the
bidirectional communication in the printer driver.

To do so, open control panel and select printers in the "hardware and sound"
option.
Right-click the printer in question in the window that opens and select
"properties"
Then click the "ports" tab at the top and in the window untick/deselect the
"enable bidirectional support" checkbox at the bottom.

hopefully this will work for you!

Barry

Thanks, I will try that later, when I have time to connect the Lexmark back in.
Malcolm
Old February 11th 07, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
oldfogie

"oldfogie" wrote in message ...

"Barry" wrote in message ...
You can try what I did to get my Selphy cp510 working - turn off the
bidirectional communication in the printer driver.

To do so, open control panel and select printers in the "hardware and sound"
option.
Right-click the printer in question in the window that opens and select
"properties"
Then click the "ports" tab at the top and in the window untick/deselect the
"enable bidirectional support" checkbox at the bottom.

hopefully this will work for you!

Barry

Thanks, I will try that later, when I have time to connect the Lexmark back in.
Malcolm

Yes, that worked! Thanks, Barry!
Malcolm
Old February 23rd 07, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ravster

Thanks for the solution Barry, however i have got another problem.

Once i have printed the document, it does not get deleted in the printer job
window, so in order to print another document i have to shutdown and restart
my computer any ideas how to solve this problem?

Old March 24th 07, 09:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

On 24 Feb, 00:11, Ravster wrote:
Thanks for the solution Barry, however i have got another problem.

Once i have printed the document, it does not get deleted in theprinterjobwindow, so in order to print another document i have to shutdown and restart
my computer any ideas how to solve this problem?

"oldfogie" wrote:

"oldfogie" wrote in et...

"Barry" wrote in ...
You can try what I did to get my Selphy cp510 working - turn off the
bidirectional communication in theprinterdriver.

To do so, open control panel and select printers in the "hardware and sound"
option.
Right-click theprinterin question in thewindowthat opens and select
"properties"
Then click the "ports" tab at the top and in thewindowuntick/deselect the
"enable bidirectional support" checkbox at the bottom.

hopefully this will work for you!

Barry

Thanks, I will try that later, when I have time to connect theLexmarkback in.
Malcolm

Yes, that worked! Thanks, Barry!
Malcolm- Hide quoted text -

I had exactly the same problem with Lexmark Z640
Turning off the 'bidirectional support' definietly seems to work, but
as Ravster said the print queue now doesn't clear - but turning off
the printer, and then back on again seems to clear the last printed
job. Not brilliant, but quicker than restarting the computer.

Old March 25th 07, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

You have the Vista driver for the Z640/Z645?
http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/seque...9_0_en,00.html
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

oups.com...

Old December 20th 07, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
cameo

I had the same problem with the Lexmark Z645 and Vista. After a lot of
effort I gave up and emailed Lexmark.

Their response was surprisingly helpful:

First download and run "CleanupUtility.exe" from:
ftp://ftp.lexmark.com/driver/inkjet_drivers/Cleanup/

Then unplug the printer's USB cable and restart your PC.

Then download and run the printer's drivers/install program for Vista,
from:
http://downloads.lexmark.com:/cgi-pe...do ws%20Vista

Only plug the USB cable back in when the drivers/install program tells
you to.

After install, I think it asks for another reboot.
Then all should work fine.

:-)

--
cameo