Old April 20th 07, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Daemonfyre

Default lnk file association

Tried in safe mode, no luck. Also tried in safe mode with command prompt,
still no change. And I've gone through every program that's listed in the
task manager that would close and stay closed and tried it again, still no
luck. It just keeps giving me that error message.

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" wrote:

Have you tried to do it in safe mode? Do you have any spyware
protectors/registry watchers running?
Ilia

"Daemonfyre" wrote in message
Yes, I went in and verified each item under the key individually, all were
set to admin group(which is me, as this is my home comp and I'm the only
user) except one that was set to "TrustedInstaller" I set all of them
specifically to my profile, rebooted and tried again, no luck, still gives
the error message.

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" wrote:

Daemonfyre,

Have you verified that you have the right to modify these regkeys? You
may
have to take ownership of the keys your regfile modifies and then grant
yourself (or your group such as Admins) full access. Apply the change
recusrively (to the key and all subkeys). The keys are probably
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile.

Thanks,
Ilia

"Daemonfyre" wrote in message
Long story short, I'm another one of the dozens of people whose
shortcuts
and
start menu files have turned into unassociated .lnk files. I've looked
at
several other threads and tried the fix that they point to, namely the
.reg
fix file. However, whenever I try to merge the file I get an error
message
that reads:

Cannot import C:\lnk_vista.reg: Not all data was successfully written
the
registry. Some of the keys are open by the system or other processes.

I've tried closing every program in the task manager that will stay
closed
and it still gives the error message. I've tried moving the file from
C:\
the desktop, tried running regedit and merging the file through that
and
no
luck. Could it have something to do with the fact that I manually
assigned
an association to the .lnk extension through the Default Programs
option?
If
so then is there any way to dis-associate them so they can be properly
re-associated? Or does anyone know any other way to fix this problem?