Print Server - LinkSys WPS54g (v1)

Old February 9th 07, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BobS

Default Print Server - LinkSys WPS54g (v1)

Anyone have any luck getting the LinkSys WPS54G v1 print server up and
running on any version of Vista? I've tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions
and nada. Now I really didn't expect it to work with x64 but a print server
is just a router and should be transparent to the system.

I can get thru the setup for the print server when it's connected via a
network cable but when it's all done and you restart it for wireless
operation, it's not recognized - can't even ping it. I have a triple-boot
setup (temp) for testing and the print server works with WinXP Pro just
fine.

LinkSys says no drivers for it under Vista but do not say it won't work
either... Tried WinXP Pro compatibility mode - no difference.

If you have one working under Vista would you mind sharing the secret
handshake.....

Thanks,

Bob S.

Old February 9th 07, 07:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
~andrew

I have a different print server, but I think what worked for me could work
for you.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...=en-us&m=1&p=1

I think it comes down to first failing using the Network printer setup.
That sets the port for use latter when you go back and install the printer as
Local.

Good luck,
~andrew

Old February 9th 07, 02:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ron Miller

~andrew wrote:
I have a different print server, but I think what worked for me could work
for you.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...=en-us&m=1&p=1

I think it comes down to first failing using the Network printer setup.
That sets the port for use latter when you go back and install the printer as
Local.

Good luck,
~andrew

I got my USB print server, a Netgear PS121, to work without any Vista
software by simply supplying its static IP address to the Add-A-Printer
Wizard. That address is 192.168.1.105, and the Wizard created a port
called 192.168.1.105_1. I was then able to install a driver. I wanted
to install a second instance of the same printer set to "draft" quality.
I thought I could do that by telling Vista that the printer was on
192.168.1.105_1, but that didn't work. I had to go through the Wizard
again, and this time I got a port called "192.168.1.105_2." (I think
these port names are correct, but I cannot double-check my memory
because I'm posting from a computer at work. The important thing is
that the Wizard suggested port names that I could simply accept.)
Everything works just fine, and the printer is fully functional. Under
XP, I had to use Netgear software to create a printer port. Under
Vista, the process seems to be undocumented, but it's actually a little
simpler AS LONG AS the server already has a static IP that was created
prior to adding a Vista computer to the network.

YMMV

Ron

Old February 9th 07, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BobS

Andrew,

That worked just fine - thank you. I now have both my printer servers up on
Vista 32 bit using "Local TCP/IP Port" option which worked on both the
CompUSA (branded) wired print server and the LinkSys wireless one. Thank
you for taking the time to suggest what worked for you.

Bob S.

Old February 9th 07, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BobS

Ron,

You are correct in that the static IP was set in the print server before
adding it to Vista. One thing I found (after lot's of frogging around) is
that I didn't really need the software that came with the print servers.
They have factory default settings that can be used to access the unit with
just a browser and the IP address. If the unit was configured before and
you've forgotten the username and password - or even the IP - there is
"usually" some way to do a master reset and get back to factory defaults -
sometimes not too.

In my case, both had been running on WinXP and I knew their settings (well,
okay, I forgot the one password and had to reset - hence the note above..;-)

Oh yeah..... One more tidbit. I had turned off UAC (User Access Control)
and did not realize how that can create great amounts of heartburn, stress
and a real sense of frustration when you're trying to install some legacy
software - and even MS Office 2003. If things are just generally not making
sense, getting weird error codes and about 30 seconds before you toss the
whole shebang out the window - check your User Account and be sure UAC is
turned on.

And one more since I'm on a roll here. For those that will be supporting
Vista (your workstations, family and friends, etc.) you may want to invest
in one of the many Vista books available. I just went with the "Windows
Vista Inside/Out" by MS Press because I found the one on WinXP Pro to be so
helpful over the past few years. There are times when you just can't beat
the newsgroups and other forums for getting help on problems (like above)
that will never be covered in any book.

So between those two and the great MSVP's that have been tirelessly helping
us all (well I did see Rock sleeping awhile ago...) - I think we have the
critical parts covered. Time, money, and new drivers will solve the rest -
eventually. And why anyone would want to be using a MAC and missing out on
all this fun, is beyond me.....;-)

Bob S.