Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Full Control to Users programmatically

Old February 13th 07, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Paul Clement

Default Full Control to Users programmatically

On 12 Feb 2007 12:42:28 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

€ Have you tried using the All Users location?

€ Paul
€ ~~~~
€ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

€ I have not "tried" any of this (I always just used App.Path...does
€ that make me a bad person ). However I read this quote and
€ understood that such a solution was really no solution at all.

€ It's easy ... store data in per-user locations .

€ No that's not so easy.
€ Imagine an app (e.g. a FamilyAddresses.exe with a
€ 'CommonAddresses.mdb') for wich every user of the
€ machine (the whole family) has to have Read *and*
€ Write-Access.
€ Where should the file 'CommonAddresses.mdb' has to
€ be placed?
€ In "AllUsers"?! - ok - but then only the owner (creator) of
€ this file has write-access to it.
€ This means, either FamilyAddresses.exe has to run under
€ an Admin-Account or an Admin allows write-access to
€ this single file in (and for) "AllUsers" explicitely.

€ Am I mis understanding it or is this poster simply wrong? Or is this
€ simply not really a solution?

€ BTW The quote above is excerpted(sp) from post #23 by Schmidt

I think there's more to it than that. In the example above, where an Access database is used, all
users must have full control over the folder where the file is located. I don't know if you're
working with an Access database, but there is simply no way around this because the Jet database
engine needs to be able to manage the corresponding .LDB file.

You have to keep in mind that each scenario can be different, and what someone describes in one
scenario may not necessarily apply to yours. We can spend all month discussing the implementation,
but a proof (or failed proof) of concept is much easier to address.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
Old February 17th 07, 07:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Øyvind Sørbye

vovan wrote:
Most programs (at least before Vista) use this design.

No, they don't. This is bad design.
Old February 24th 07, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
bp

"mayayana" wrote:

I found some way (using Windows script) to give Users full control on
"C:\Program Files\My Program", not on entire "C:\Program Files\". Just on

my
folder.
It looks like adjustment will take much less time than full redesign.
What is wrong with this approach?

That sounds like a good idea to me.
How do you achieve that?

(My best idea for a solution so far is a note saying
something like: "If you have the misfortune to be using
Windows Vista, and you want to use this software,
then you will need to give yourself permission to
fully use your PC."

Or you could say this:
I'm to lazy to code this correctly so I am trying to hack it and in the
process I will destroy your windows security. Sorry.

Old May 25th 07, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Ann

I have a question that may relate to the current discussion....

I am currently using my husbands computer because mine is on its' last legs.
I have created a new user account for myself, but am unable to print any
documents. It seems my only choice is to save each document as a "XPS" file
on the hard drive, but I am still not able to print them.

I can print when I am on my husband's desk top I imagine because he is the
administrator. I know there is a relatively simple solution for this, but
being technically challenged, I, so far, haven't been able to figure it out!

Any help would be much appreciated!

--
Ann

"vovan" wrote:

My VB6 program is installed by setup created in InstallShield 12.
Before Vista everything was working fine.
On Vista one of the operations (replace file located in c:\program files\my
program with another file) fails - my research showed me than there is an
error 70, 'Access denied'
After I set manually Full Control to Users of that machine everything works
fine.
Any advice how to set Full Control to Users programmatically from VB6 or
from InstallShield project.

Thank you
Vovan

Old May 25th 07, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
koze

It could be he has the printer installed for this user onl, in that case you
have to reinstall the printer for use with your account.

Else it would have worked!

Ko.

"Ann" schreef in bericht

"vovan" wrote:

My VB6 program is installed by setup created in InstallShield 12.
Before Vista everything was working fine.
On Vista one of the operations (replace file located in c:\program
files\my
program with another file) fails - my research showed me than there is an
error 70, 'Access denied'
After I set manually Full Control to Users of that machine everything
works
fine.
Any advice how to set Full Control to Users programmatically from VB6 or
from InstallShield project.

Thank you
Vovan

Old May 25th 07, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mike Williams

"Ann" wrote in message

I am currently using my husbands computer because mine is on
its' last legs. I have created a new user account for myself, but
am unable to print any documents.

Just get your husband (or yourself) to reinstall the printer for all users.
You may have to uninstall it first.

Mike

Old May 26th 07, 10:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Arteekay

It's more likely that the default user profile has the xps document
writer set as the default printer. Ann might just need to discover the
printer selection drop box and how to set a default printer.

Her husband's default was probably changed when he installed the
driver, but it's doubtful it's installer was smart enough to set the
default user profile's default printer.

--
Arteekay

rtk
Old February 20th 10, 08:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
bkrajendra

I think there is an alternate solution to all these problems....
Make an two level application.
1) Launcher which will launch another Main App using code such as (VB)

Code:
--------------------

Call ShellExecute(hwnd, "runas", App.Path & "\MainApp.exe", 0, 0, vbNormalFocus)

--------------------

2) Main App, which is writing to protected areas, ie Program Files
folder

I've successfully tried this with windows 7

I'm also developing an app which has online update feature. But it
doesn't work in Vista/W7..

I agree with other peoples about Microsoft Policies and Standard
Practices.

But my Question is
1) How to apply update to an existing application, which probably
always remain in Program Files folder.
2) There might be some way to do this, otherwise how goolge updater,
antivirus updater or any software updater workes?

I need answer to my questions.....

Prof. Rajendra Khope
(MIT, Pune, India)

--