Vista Banter

-   -   Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card (http://www.vistabanter.com/21506-card-reader-wont-read-2gb-sd-card.html)

jammiedodger80 February 10th 07 10:58 PM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

Installed Vista yesterday, and the only thing I'm having trouble with is my
card reader.

It'll read all of my 128mb, 256mb, 512mb and 1gb SD cards no problem, but
won't read my 2gb card. Instead, it gives the message "you need to format
the disk in drive X: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"

Now, if say yes, it brings up the "format disk" box, but shows the capacity
as being 969mb.
However, if I put the same card reader and the same cardback in my Windows
XP box, it reads it fine as being 2Gb.

Have also tried it with another card reader borrowed from a friend, with the
same result.

Any ideas?

Hugh Wyn Griffith February 11th 07 01:53 AM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

I've seen reports of this happening under XP on laptops and cured when
they issued a new BIOS update to deal with larger cards.

Might be worth checking for VISTA specific BIOS updates for your
machine.

jammiedodger80 February 11th 07 11:56 AM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

Hugh,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just tried that this morning, got the latest drivers for my board from the
MSI website, but it hasn't made a difference.

Hugh Wyn Griffith February 11th 07 11:50 PM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

In article ,
Jammiedodger80 wrote:

got the latest drivers for my board from the*MSI website

That's for the motherboard? Did it include any BIOS update?

deadite66 February 12th 07 04:05 AM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

In article ,
jammiedodger80 writes
Installed Vista yesterday, and the only thing I'm having trouble with is my
card reader.

It'll read all of my 128mb, 256mb, 512mb and 1gb SD cards no problem, but
won't read my 2gb card. Instead, it gives the message "you need to format
the disk in drive X: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"

Now, if say yes, it brings up the "format disk" box, but shows the capacity
as being 969mb.
However, if I put the same card reader and the same cardback in my Windows
XP box, it reads it fine as being 2Gb.

Have also tried it with another card reader borrowed from a friend, with the
same result.

Any ideas?

i have the same problems, i believe it to be a windows driver problem.
both xp and vista refuse to read a 2gb sdcard via usb card reader but
the same hardware in Linux can read it perfectly.
--
deadite66

Mister Ed February 22nd 07 09:39 PM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

Check the driver for the card reader. I had the same problem - couldn't
format an SD card 1GB. My HP laptop had a 2001 vintage driver for the
reader. Once I updated the driver everything worked fine.

"deadite66" wrote:

In article ,
jammiedodger80 writes

Matt Sciba March 21st 07 07:24 PM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

I'm having the same problem with my 1GB SD card. I was taking
pictures, then one day when I put the card in the card reader, it
died. One of the pics looked corrupted and the whole card died within
seconds. The card is unreadable on my card reader, my camera, and my
printer card reader.

Matt March 21st 07 08:36 PM

On Mar 21, 3:24 pm, "Matt Sciba" wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my 1GBSDcard. I was taking
pictures, then one day when I put thecardin thecardreader, it
died. One of the pics looked corrupted and the wholecarddied within
seconds. Thecardis unreadable on mycardreader, my camera, and my
printercardreader.

Btw, What is the brand and model of your card reader? I'm using an
IOGear GUH284R.

G4gir March 24th 07 11:30 AM

Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

Has anyone found a solution to getting the 2 or 4 Gb cards to be recognised
in VISTA yet?. I have a Lexar USB 2.0 multicard reader an I get the same
problems of you must format before use and only 1Gb available, however in XP
no problem
Thanks
Ian

[email protected] April 17th 07 08:17 PM

"Matt" wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:24 pm, "Matt Sciba" wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my 1GBSDcard. I was taking
pictures, then one day when I put thecardin thecardreader, it
died. One of the pics looked corrupted and the wholecarddied within
seconds. Thecardis unreadable on mycardreader, my camera, and my
printercardreader.

Btw, What is the brand and model of yourcardreader? I'm using an
IOGear GUH284R.- Hide quoted text -

I have the same problem. Anyone found a solution yet?